Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Unpleasant Sulfur with Lallemand Belgian Wit Yeast  (Read 861 times)

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
Unpleasant Sulfur with Lallemand Belgian Wit Yeast
« on: May 11, 2024, 08:09:54 am »
I was harshly reminded of the unpleasant sulfur I got using Lallemand's Belgian Wit yeast recently, after using it again in a Witbier. Anyone else experience this? I now remember deciding this was a liquid yeast only style (before taking a 3 yr hiatus).
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
Re: Unpleasant Sulfur with Lallemand Belgian Wit Yeast
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 08:22:37 am »
It happens when you make mistakes.
RDWHAHB and try again.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 08:28:12 am »
RDWHAHB and try again.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

Mistakes like choosing the wrong yeast?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 08:44:08 am »
RDWHAHB and try again.

No.
Mistakes like unpleasant sulfur.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 09:40:12 am »
RDWHAHB and try again.

No.
Mistakes like unpleasant sulfur.

Care to explain?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 09:56:34 am »
No problem.
Post stated "I was harshly reminded of the unpleasant sulfur I got using Lallemand's Belgian Wit yeast recently, after using it again in a Witbier."
I responded that it's no the yeast problem but a brewing error.
Unpleasant sulfur could be yeast health/ handling or infection or a combination of both.
Cheers!

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 10:11:09 am »
No problem.
Post stated "I was harshly reminded of the unpleasant sulfur I got using Lallemand's Belgian Wit yeast recently, after using it again in a Witbier."
Unpleasant sulfur could be yeast health/ handling or infection or a combination of both.
Cheers!

I am certain what I'm getting is related to the yeast strain. Maybe I over-pitched, or under-pitched but I am a meticulous brewer, and for this feature to only show up with this yeast, once years ago and once now, I have no doubts.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2024, 11:12:09 am »
I apologize if I sounded argumentative. It wasn't my intention.
Manufacturers do significant testing, so the yeast'itself is definitely ok and won't create bad sulfur compounds when use as directed.
It's possible that the yeast was bad without you knowing.
Cheers!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2024, 12:03:28 pm »
No problem.
Cheers!

Very true. It can also be related to yeast strain.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2024, 12:04:37 pm »
Is it in a keg? You can usually blow off excess sulfur by intermittent pressurize/vent cycles over the course of a few days.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2024, 01:18:51 pm »
I haven't used this yeast yet, but I know the liquid witbier yeast strains also produce sulfur.  The solution: Let the beer age for 4 weeks prior to drinking.  My guess is you just need more time, as the sulfur will age out on its own.  No need to vent off or do anything different, besides being patient.  I cannot 100% guarantee this will work, but I'm pretty dang sure aging will help.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2024, 03:22:45 pm »
Thanks guys. It is still in the fermenter. I was planning to keg it earlier this week, but took a sample and picked up the sulfur. I'm going to sample it again in a few days.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2024, 03:40:57 pm »

Have you gotten feedback from other tasters? Maybe this strain throws off something you happen to be particularly sensitive to. Everyone's palate is different.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2024, 08:27:49 am »
Thanks guys. It is still in the fermenter. I was planning to keg it earlier this week, but took a sample and picked up the sulfur. I'm going to sample it again in a few days.

If it's still in the fermenter,  it's too soon to be concerned.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2024, 09:26:15 am »

If it's still in the fermenter,  it's too soon to be concerned.
Thanks Denny. I'm at 5 weeks right now. Not used to letting them go this long, but I've read that on the homebrew scale hydrostatic pressure isn't a concern.