Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermenters (non-glass)  (Read 1962 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Fermenters (non-glass)
« on: April 27, 2024, 12:05:48 pm »
Looking for suggestions for fermenters for primary/secondary as I need some new ones. Would prefer lightweight, easy to maneuver, and cost effective. I've done buckets in the past and then graduated to glass carboys. Based on another thread in the forum I sold my glass carboys and now need to replace them. For primary fermentation I'd prefer at least 6.5 gallons and for secondary I need at least 6 gallons.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Fermenters (non-glass)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 12:32:53 pm »
Looking for suggestions for fermenters for primary/secondary as I need some new ones. Would prefer lightweight, easy to maneuver, and cost effective. I've done buckets in the past and then graduated to glass carboys. Based on another thread in the forum I sold my glass carboys and now need to replace them. For primary fermentation I'd prefer at least 6.5 gallons and for secondary I need at least 6 gallons.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Knowing you, you want them cheap. 😁 If not, and you want something effective and trouble free, I can't recommend Grainfather fermenter and glycol chiller highly enough.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 12:38:25 pm »
One relatively inexpensive approach would be the Kegland products (All Rounder or Fermzilla or Kegmenter - in progressing order of cost)…
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2024, 12:45:06 pm »
You could consider un-graduating back to buckets. I've had good luck with the 0-ring seals on the lids. With a 7.9 gallon ale pail I've never needed a blow-off. It fits the bill as far as "cost effective".

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2024, 12:54:16 pm »
For your batch sizes you'd have to split into two of them, but 5 gallon corny kegs with a floating dip tube and adjustable PRV/spunding valve are a great option.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 02:10:36 pm »
For your batch sizes you'd have to split into two of them, but 5 gallon corny kegs with a floating dip tube and adjustable PRV/spunding valve are a great option.

I whittled down my keg supply to the point I wouldn't want to ferment in them. At one time I had some 10 gallon kegs, but they were really too tall to work in any fridge, freezer, or kegorator I had.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2024, 05:35:22 pm »
I like Fermonsters. They come in various sizes, including 6 gal and 7 gal. You can get with or without a spigot. I especially like the Monster Mesh strainer bag for dry hops.

https://www.morebeer.com/search?search=fermonster
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2024, 06:00:12 pm »

I whittled down my keg supply to the point I wouldn't want to ferment in them. At one time I had some 10 gallon kegs, but they were really too tall to work in any fridge, freezer, or kegorator I had.
Time to reconsider cornies as fermenters.  No need to deal with anything other than a stock 5-gallon keg.  Just get some custom fermentation lids and go.  I don't bother with larger kegs, or floating dip tubes, or cutting the stock dip tubes.  Ferment is a stock keg with a fermentation lid, run a trick of CO2 when  swapping back to a regular lid, then use a jumper with a threaded end on it so you can transfer the trub to a mason jar, then thread on a ball lock and transfer to a serving keg.  You can purchase quite a few ball-lock kegs for the price of fancy stainless conincals!

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2024, 06:16:03 pm »
I love the Anvil bucket fermenter. 7.5 gallon stainless steel with a small racking arm. Easy to clean, and fits in a 4 cubic foot chest freezer. The top comes off and you can dry hop easily. It's probably the best thing Anvil/Blichmann has made. I can't say enough good things about it.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2024, 08:52:52 pm »
I like Fermonsters. They come in various sizes, including 6 gal and 7 gal. You can get with or without a spigot. I especially like the Monster Mesh strainer bag for dry hops.

https://www.morebeer.com/search?search=fermonster

I used to have some PET carboys intended for wine in another country and i really loved the wide mouths that the fermonsters have. theyre basically the same as these.

i'm going to be replacing my glass carboys with PET fermonsters as of next purchase.

being able to reach in and clean them out is just a really nice touch

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2024, 10:50:26 pm »
I love the Anvil bucket fermenter. 7.5 gallon stainless steel with a small racking arm. Easy to clean, and fits in a 4 cubic foot chest freezer. The top comes off and you can dry hop easily. It's probably the best thing Anvil/Blichmann has made. I can't say enough good things about it.

I second this! They're fairly cost effective (esp. for stainless steel), very very durable, and clean-up is a breeze.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2024, 05:22:22 am »
I have a couple of plastic fermenters with the name Brewcraft USA on the lid, but they look exactly like these https://www.homebrewfinds.com/ends-today-genesis-6-5-gallon-plastic-fermenter-14-99-save-70/ that say Genesis. I like having the handles a lot. They came with liners, but I found it difficult to get them inside and fully open. One drawback is the markings on the outside leave places on the inside that are harder to clean than flat surfaces. This is a mute point if you use the inserts.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2024, 05:30:36 am »
If I wasn't using 100% glass (still am), I might go back to good old plastic buckets.  Or maybe thick schedule 6- or 8-inch PVC pipes, as high as necessary.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online BrewBama

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2024, 06:21:08 am »
I use SS Brewbuckets.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2024, 07:48:52 am »
I have three SS Brewtech fermenters... the classic bucket... chronical... and mini.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato