Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Braggot  (Read 371 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Braggot
« on: April 12, 2024, 05:50:37 pm »
This is a style I surprisingly haven’t made since probably my first year brewing 15 years ago. This one is going to be a session Braggot, around 6%.
My goal is to taste the honey and the malt and have it be harmonious. There isn’t much authoritative info out there, mainly a lot of people saying what they are about to do. It seems many go for 35-40% honey and light  base malt like pale or pilsner. I am going a different route and getting 50% of the fermentable from honey and using mostly Munich with a little 50/60 crystal.hopefully that gives good body to what would otherwise be a pretty dry beer.
I am using Mt Hood in the boil to get about 18 calculated ibu. This isn’t meant to be a hoppy beer and traditionally didn’t use hops but probably used other herbs for bittering. If it seems not bitter enough I have some gentian tea I made for making bitters soda.
I am on the fence about yeast. I have Kviek Voss, wy1450 and wy 1469 all available and they bring very different things to the party.
I welcome thoughts, especially in yeast.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
Re: Braggot
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 07:36:11 am »
This beer was a challenge but is in the keg carbing and tastes good so far.
I ended up going with WY1450 and it started like gangbusters but stuck at 1.020. I warmed and roused the yeast and aerated and it was still stuck. I ended up making a starter of 71B and racked off the 1450 and added the starter at high krausen and it came down to 1.011.
I will never know what happened but wonder if the 1450 went through the honey so fast that the alcohol getting higher and PH getting lower so fast stalled it.
I am curious if anyone has othet theories to why it stalled. I can add that I treated it more like a beer than a mead and did a single nutrient addition at the beginning and didn't degas.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 07:37:49 am by pete b »

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 12:24:02 pm »

I've used ale yeast in all my meads ... usually they finish pretty dry ( << 1.000 ) but sometimes they stop significantly higher.  All I can say is yeast do be like that sometimes.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 06:01:21 am »

I've used ale yeast in all my meads ... usually they finish pretty dry ( << 1.000 ) but sometimes they stop significantly higher.  All I can say is yeast do be like that sometimes.
Yea, I was just surprised it happened to a lower gravity one. It’s like it went through the large percentage of simple sugar in the honey and forgot to ferment the sugars from the mash. But I have no way of knowing.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 05:37:42 pm »
its obviously just me saying to the aether that i want someone else to do it, but i wish there were more crowdsourced info/data on yeast.

even if its just a collection of anecdotes, i have actually been somewhat faithfully trying to record the perceived fermentation characteristics (slow, fast to finish up, flocculation, attenuation based on different wort types, energy of fermentation, krausen description etc) as well as some thoughts as to the flavour in an excel file. i should maybe make it public eventually thoguh i dont brew as much as many others do.

i started it just because i found i forget those little details like "oh yeah thats why i wasnt a fan of this yeast even thoughh it can make good beer ie. really slow and/or poor flocculation, poorer than expected attenuation, stalling potential etc

im using verdant IPA on the next mead im making, probably in a few days