Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jumping Jehoshaphat - I own a house!  (Read 9648 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Jumping Jehoshaphat - I own a house!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 01:28:52 am »
Indeed, I'd like to thank everyone who bought the book from me! (Actually the biggest purchase that was responsible for was my 26 gallon brew pot). Now I've just got to convince someone else to let me write another. I know, maybe Denny and I can write one.. "The Hippie and The Nerd's Guide to Cheap Ass Experimental Brewing" - the real trick is which is which? :)

House is about 1240 sq. ft. There's an additional 300 sq. ft in the garage (*cough* brewery), 300 sq ft in the guest house and 140 in the cellar.

Turns out, I've rented 2 houses here in CA, about to own one and all 3 have had cellars. Of course, all 3 were built before 1930. (1922, for the current one I'm moving out of; 1925 for the "owned" one; 1929 for the first one I rented from the jackass who got foreclosed on *grr*). I think that was a combination of "root cellar", midwesterners, post and piling style of foundations and a general lack of regard for the severity of earthquakes. I think cellars went bye bye in the 30's and the population boom.

Aside from building a new dog proof gate across the driveway I'm already thinking of various things that need doing - tree planting to improve privacy and get some morning shade on the house (the front faces east). I want to install a whole house fan, a new floor in the guest house, etc, etc, etc... sigh.

The mortgage killer brew is about 60lbs of Maris Otter, 1/2 lb of roasted malt, 9 lbs of sugar for about 11 gallons.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 02:11:34 am »
The mortgage killer brew is about 60lbs of Maris Otter, 1/2 lb of roasted malt, 9 lbs of sugar for about 11 gallons.
:o

And

:o

When it comes to privacy planting, give some more details.  I am 100% against crap like arborvitae (which is really common in this area), and way in favor of edible hedges.  Consider a Belgian fence of apples.  Maybe even throw in some other fruit.   Because if you can't eat it, why are you planting it?   ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 06:03:04 am »
The Thuja Green Giant  is the Fastest Growing  Evergreen Tree (3-5 feet per year once established). Easily grows into a thick, compact privacy screen. "Quickly screen out neighbors or unsightly areas....without taking up a lot of yard space..."

I have a row of about 10 of em. I'm going to end up digging up every other one and spread em out further they're doing so well. They really do take off pretty good. No you can't eat it, but it doesn't attract bugs or pests either.
Dwarf fruit trees could be cool, but would cost more and take longer.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 06:39:35 am »
Congrats Drew.  Don't get discouraged with the list.  I'm still working on my list for my last house I sold 5 years ago :)

So if you hit the lottery next week and pay off your mortgage, will that beer be ready to drink.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 09:47:49 am »
Congrats on the house purchase!!! 

Enjoy that glow you feel until the roof comes off or something.   :D  Seriously though, I've enjoyed owning my own home for the past 20 years even if mother nature decides to have fun now and then (Central IA storms can be interesting).

If you aren't planning to rent out the guest house, I'd consider making it the brewery.  Already has water, electricity and plumbing in place.  Remove or move a wall or two and it's a complete brewery.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 10:20:36 am »
Turns out, I've rented 2 houses here in CA, about to own one and all 3 have had cellars. Of course, all 3 were built before 1930. (1922, for the current one I'm moving out of; 1925 for the "owned" one; 1929 for the first one I rented from the jackass who got foreclosed on *grr*). I think that was a combination of "root cellar", midwesterners, post and piling style of foundations and a general lack of regard for the severity of earthquakes. I think cellars went bye bye in the 30's and the population boom.

Maybe it's a Pasadena thing. We owned a house in Long Beach that was built in the 20's and all we got was a crawl space. It seemed like that was the case for the neighborhood, too.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 10:28:05 am »
Yeah, I already lost the battle to turn the guest house into man cave. :) Actually, truthfully, I never started that fight cause I'm happy with the garage and would be tempted to rent the guest house out.

I was totally thinking of building an apple fence. Got a guide here for making apple trees grow and give good fruit here in SoCal. I'm wondering if I should be totally cranky and try and establish a Kingston Black (it apparently can be done with some fighting). Already got to plant some citrus, like a lime to go with the established persimmon and avocado trees. Wonder if you can make persimmon guacamole? :)

Re: cellars.. maybe, maybe you guys were closer to the water table down there in LB, but you're right that I do tend to think of LA houses as being crawlspace city. I'm just happy I have a dug out portion of mine and can easily get to the rest of it.
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 11:31:10 am »
Gotta say Drew, your new abode's got some funk goin' on.  Enjoy.  Your education begins..................................now.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 12:41:45 pm »
Congrats Drew... and welcome to the poor house...  ;)  It's worth it though!! Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 08:25:42 pm »
Ya coulda had a plantation or a ponderosa if you'd pick another state.
Congrats and Good luck!
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 08:50:12 pm »
Just out of curiosity, why cant you have the guest house be a man cave? I know you cant if you rent it but. Couldn't it be big enough to have a couple of pull out sofas for when guest are there? MAybe leave room for a small bar by the kitchenete? Surely there is enough room to fit a stereo. Sounds like a man cave to me.

Is at least part of the garage gonna be a dedicated brewery? (My Dream)  maybe you can look into tying into the drain and waterlines that go out to the guest house and get some plumbing into the brewery. Then outside the brewery can be the out door cooking area with a landscape BBQ.

One of the reasons Im trying to loose this house is because I need a guest house or inlaw sweet. We have family over long term often. :'(   

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 09:18:59 pm »
Congrats. I think Lowe's has paint on sale this week.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 09:48:57 pm »
why cant you have the guest house be a man cave?

My guess is that he wouldn't be seeing too much of the woman cave then...   :o

Congrats, buddy.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 10:31:27 am »
Just out of curiosity, why cant you have the guest house be a man cave? I know you cant if you rent it but. Couldn't it be big enough to have a couple of pull out sofas for when guest are there?

My partner and I keep going back and forth over what to do with the space. We've talked about renting it out, she's dreamed of turning it into a studio for her aromatherapy efforts. I'm not set on the idea of turning it into a brewery/bar because I will have the whole of the garage as the brewery/bar.
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 11:17:52 am »
My partner and I keep going back and forth over what to do with the space. We've talked about renting it out, she's dreamed of turning it into a studio for her aromatherapy efforts. I'm not set on the idea of turning it into a brewery/bar because I will have the whole of the garage as the brewery/bar.

Seems like they would work well together.  A little aromatherapy and relax at the bar with an award winning homebrew.  Or two...or Three...hmm I see your point.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------