Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA Award Winning Recipes  (Read 1187 times)

Offline 1GSHELLMAN

• 1st Kit
AHA Award Winning Recipes
« on: March 07, 2024, 08:31:59 am »
Trying to figure out how an award-winning recipe I found in the AHA recipe section for Vienna Lager cites an SRM of 28, which is way out of style. The ingredients listed come out to about an SRM of 12 when plugged into a couple of different beer SW programs. Also noted no real IBU values for that same recipe, by Sprague and Kohl.  Trying to replicate a recipe that far off tends to lead homebrewers down the wrong path. Any thoughts on why their values were skewed so badly? WHEW and BREW!!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: AHA Award Winning Recipes
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 08:51:29 am »
Trying to figure out how an award-winning recipe I found in the AHA recipe section for Vienna Lager cites an SRM of 28, which is way out of style. The ingredients listed come out to about an SRM of 12 when plugged into a couple of different beer SW programs. Also noted no real IBU values for that same recipe, by Sprague and Kohl.  Trying to replicate a recipe that far off tends to lead homebrewers down the wrong path. Any thoughts on why their values were skewed so badly? WHEW and BREW!!!

All they know is what the brewer tells them. It's not like they brew or even check the recipes
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 1GSHELLMAN

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 09:10:18 am »
Yep Denny, I figured as much. I looked at an award-winning recipe of a Helles that my cousin won Gold with, and it had water prep with 12 Campden tabs, that didn't really make sense. Guess it's like - let the buyer beware, bwahahaha!!! Fortunately, I was able to talk with my cousin and get the straight story.
 Take care Buddy!  BREW!!!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 09:39:41 am »
Sometimes there would be corrections mentioned in Zymurgy but I'm not sure if those corrections make it to the website. You always need to view recipes with a critical eye for mistakes as well as potential issues where your brewhouse may require adjustments to reach the same end result as a recipe on another person's system.

OTOH, it's not uncommon for beers to win awards both pro and homebrew that are out of the style guidelines. It's a pretty well known technique to brew beers with more intense hops/malt/ABV/color because they'll come across with more character than beers within the guidelines and subsequently win. So don't take a recipe out of guidelines as necessarily printed erroneously.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 09:54:44 am »
Yep Denny, I figured as much. I looked at an award-winning recipe of a Helles that my cousin won Gold with, and it had water prep with 12 Campden tabs, that didn't really make sense. Guess it's like - let the buyer beware, bwahahaha!!! Fortunately, I was able to talk with my cousin and get the straight story.

Like any recipe anywhere, you have to know enough to know if its wrong
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 10:53:16 am »
I'll bet the brewer reported the EBC value for color rather than SRM.  EBC is "European Brewery Convention" method for color determination, and is almost exactly double the SRM.  So, 28 divided by 2 is... 14.  Sounds legit.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 11:26:06 am »
I think Dave is right and Campden tablets maybe were intended to be 1-2 tablets?  Hard to say…
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 01:38:10 pm »
I think Dave is right and Campden tablets maybe were intended to be 1-2 tablets?  Hard to say…
Quite possible. I remember seeing a recipe for bourbon barrel stout that said to soak the oak chips in bourbon for 47 days. They later corrected it to 4 to 7 days.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/new-holland-dragons-milk-bourbon-barrel-aged-stout/
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 03:38:39 pm »

Likely 1/2 tablet.  "They" say 1 Campden tablet is enough to remove chlorine from 20 gallons of tap water.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 04:00:34 pm »
Once again, I think Dave is right.  I don't ever need to use Campden tablets because I am on a water well on my property.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2024, 04:24:14 pm »

i find the more popular a style is and the higher regard it is held in competitively ie. WCIPA, NEIPA, Imp Stout, Kolsch, the better studied it is and the more examples of highly reviewed recipes there are, and ones that are on say tested version 10 rather than just a theoretical, never-actually-brewed one.

vienna lager isnt super obscure, but it also suffers from being shattered into negra modelo style vienna, historical vienna, old-school homebrew heavy on the crystal malt and oxidation "vienna" amber lager, etc etc.

becuase of this frankly i dont even consider it as a hard style, i consider it a malt type.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2024, 07:06:51 am »
vienna lager isnt super obscure, but it also suffers from being shattered into negra modelo style vienna, historical vienna, old-school homebrew heavy on the crystal malt and oxidation "vienna" amber lager, etc etc.

becuase of this frankly i dont even consider it as a hard style, i consider it a malt type.

I like that way of approaching things! It always seemed weird to me that a beer with 100% Vienna malt would be outside of the BJCP style guidelines for Vienna lager...I recognize the distinct purpose of style guidelines, of course; oh well! I guess I could be really contrarian and only call something a Vienna lager if it is a pale beer and mostly Vienna malt...
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2024, 08:15:35 am »

All they know is what the brewer tells them. It's not like they brew or even check the recipes

Also, typos happen all the time and are acknoweldged when pointed out. You see it occasionally in the letters section of Zymurgy magazine.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2024, 08:29:50 am »
I have made a Vienna lager in many ways and more than one has turned out nicely...Devils Backbone is tasty, but so was an award winner from a home brewer my club several years ago which used Red X in hefty quantities (it was scaled up and brewed by a few breweries - most called it "Pancho Vienna").  I couldn't find the recipe for it on a quick search, but I suspect it is out there if you look hard enough....

Here's a link to the Devil's Backbone homage:  https://byo.com/recipe/devils-backbone-brewing-co-s-vienna-lager-clone/

Cheers!

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2024, 11:03:26 am »

If you can share with me the recipe name and/or link, I can get that updated!
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association