Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold-Crashing Lagers before Kegging for Cold Lagering  (Read 1374 times)

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
Cold-Crashing Lagers before Kegging for Cold Lagering
« on: March 03, 2024, 04:30:09 pm »
Hey all, wondering what everyone's thoughts are on cold-crashing a lager after D-rest in the fermenter? I will lager in keg for a substantial period (as I've always done), but really not crazy about the O2 pickup from the temp drop anymore. I know some use a mylar balloon to counter this. Just wondering if a cold crash even makes sense, knowing I will be cold-lagering and using gelatin in the keg.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 04:40:04 pm by John M »
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Cold-Crashing Lagers before Kegging for Cold Lagering
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 04:36:02 pm »
Hey all, wondering what everyone's thoughts are on cold-crashing a lager after D-rest in the fermenter? I will lager in keg for a substantial period in keg (as I've always done), but really not crazy about the O2 pickup from the temp drop anymore. I know some use a mylar balloon to counter this. Just wondering if a cold crash even makes sense, knowing I will be cold-lagering and using gelatin in the keg.

I cold crash before lagering for no other reason than it just feels right.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 04:49:43 pm »
Hey all, wondering what everyone's thoughts are on cold-crashing a lager after D-rest in the fermenter? I will lager in keg for a substantial period in keg (as I've always done), but really not crazy about the O2 pickup from the temp drop anymore. I know some use a mylar balloon to counter this. Just wondering if a cold crash even makes sense, knowing I will be cold-lagering and using gelatin in the keg.

For sure. It's nice knowing you're putting the clearest beer possible in your keg, via cold-crashing. Obviously if you use gelatin, you're dropping a bit more crud out of suspension to the bottom of your keg. I'm wondering how much drops out from cold-crashing vs. how much drops out from gelatin.. Is the amount you avoid from cold-crashing worth it? Idk..

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 05:00:37 pm »

For sure. It's nice knowing you're putting the clearest beer possible in your keg, via cold-crashing. Obviously if you use gelatin, you're dropping a bit more crud out of suspension to the bottom of your keg. I'm wondering how much drops out from cold-crashing vs. how much drops out from gelatin.. Is the amount you avoid from cold-crashing worth it? Idk..

Couldn't give you a comparison since I don't use gelatin

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 05:11:38 pm »

Thanks Denny. Another question- my ferm fridge is in the basement, and it doesn't get above 62 down there usually. After ferm was finished, I unplugged fridge and left lid open. My beer is sitting around 61 right now- should I go to the trouble of putting a heat wrap on it to get it up to 65+ for D-rest or no?

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 05:41:02 pm »
Don't forget that yeast will settle no matter what the temp is if they are inactive.  So keep your fermenter at the temp that it's at and wait.  Diacetyl will be re-absorbed over time at that temp too.  If you are going to wait away, why not just let 'er be?

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 06:14:39 pm »
Cold crashing is cool. I like it
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 06:38:33 pm »
I don't bother with cold crashing anymore, and let the beer have a long condition in the keg (with gelatin if I am impatient). I don't do much of a diacetyl rest either, because my primary phase is usually pretty extended, unless I need to free up space for any reason and the fermenter ends up sitting at ambient for a few days. In most cases, I'm not in a "churn and burn" mode of lager production, so they all get plenty of time. I do a closed transfer whenever possible, and extended conditioning at near-freezing. My lagers end up crystal clear and gorgeous after a month or so!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 07:24:26 pm »
Cold crashing is cool. I like it
Do you do anything to mitigate suck-back?

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 04:19:27 am »
I ferment under pressure and/or spund, then cold crash and hit the fermenter with 10-12 psi of carbonation, so no suck back issues.  After a week or so, I push from the fermenter by way of floating dip tube under CO2 to the serving keg and lager for as long as it takes for that keg to come on line.  By then my beer is crystal clear after the first pint or so.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 05:03:27 am »
I xfer to a keg and cold crash/lager/condition/carbonate under CO2 pressure after fermentation and D rest is complete in the fermenter.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 08:00:55 am »
I don't bother with cold crashing anymore, and let the beer have a long condition in the keg (with gelatin if I am impatient). I don't do much of a diacetyl rest either, because my primary phase is usually pretty extended, unless I need to free up space for any reason and the fermenter ends up sitting at ambient for a few days. In most cases, I'm not in a "churn and burn" mode of lager production, so they all get plenty of time. I do a closed transfer whenever possible, and extended conditioning at near-freezing. My lagers end up crystal clear and gorgeous after a month or so!

^^^ THIS! When fermentation is complete keg it and let time do the rest.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 08:42:47 am »

I use gelatin sometimes, and I add it during the cold crash (I use an anti-suckback balloon). I usually give it 24-48 hours before transferring to kegs. The gelatin clears the beer faster but I don't know if the end product is any clearer than just using cold and time. I don't have enough refrigerator space to have kegs waiting for months to tap.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 08:43:16 am »

Thanks Denny. Another question- my ferm fridge is in the basement, and it doesn't get above 62 down there usually. After ferm was finished, I unplugged fridge and left lid open. My beer is sitting around 61 right now- should I go to the trouble of putting a heat wrap on it to get it up to 65+ for D-rest or no?

If you pitched plenty of healthy yeast and gave it time to work, you probably don't need a d rest. I seldom do. But 60ish would be fine. There's no exact temp for a d rest. All you're trying to do is make the yeast more active.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 09:39:19 am »
im plannig on codifying my lager process as i think im figuring out what works qnd what doesnt for my expectations and system. im very much in favour of cold-crashing and using gelatin with lagers. im a pro-clarity brewer more and more.