Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer engine VS Nitro  (Read 1803 times)

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
Re: Beer engine VS Nitro
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2024, 01:40:48 pm »
I have a beer engine (it's at a small brewery, not at home) and I love it. It shares some similarities to nitro, sure, but it's far superior in the long run. I have a cask breather (sorry CAMRA lol) and the cask will stay good for well over a week. But that is the downside--you have to drink it fairly quick as opposed to nitrogen.

But, hell yeah it kicks ass! I put and ESB on cask Friday. It's terrific (If I do say so myself ;) ).

Wow I missed the pic of the ESB. That looks very tasty and nice pour on it. Dang I am excited to try my engine out when I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2024, 01:41:16 pm »
I think you are gonna love it. The cask breather is well worth the $65 investment. Also, I highly recommend the "cask widge" that allows you to use the cask straight up and down as opposed to on its side. It's far superior to the side configuration.

https://www.casksupply.com/34-BSP-Thread-Flexible-Ale-Extractor-Firkin-Size_p_188.html

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2024, 01:45:20 pm »
I think you are gonna love it. The cask breather is well worth the $65 investment. Also, I highly recommend the "cask widge" that allows you to use the cask straight up and down as opposed to on its side. It's far superior to the side configuration.

https://www.casksupply.com/34-BSP-Thread-Flexible-Ale-Extractor-Firkin-Size_p_188.html
So I will be serving out of a corny keg with about 2-4 psi of pressure on it, I myself at home can’t get through 5 gallons of beer in a week. My wife and I both love our beer but that’s a recipe for some failing livers lol. Trying to extend the life of the beer. I do plan on purchasing some bag in box bags, to try out. I see over in UK they are very popular for at home cask ale on engines

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2024, 02:07:12 pm »
Yep. That makes sense! But you could get the cask breather and the set up I suggested down the road if you got the itch. The cask breather does pretty much the same thing (replaces the head space of the cask with Co2). That way you can do both.

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2024, 02:31:35 pm »
Yep. That makes sense! But you could get the cask breather and the set up I suggested down the road if you got the itch. The cask breather does pretty much the same thing (replaces the head space of the cask with Co2). That way you can do both.
I think I will some day down the road if I have the cash, just for the more authentic feel of it. The breather is just that diaphragm that you have to install a certain direction with the arrow down or whichever way right? That just replaces the headspace at atmospheric pressure doesn’t it? So there’s never any extra pressure in the head space if I’m not mistaken

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2024, 02:54:19 pm »
Yes, that is correct. But with the faucet it doesn't take hardly any co2 to get the proper effect since you are relying on forced oxidation for the foam. Still, I'd say you have maybe 10-14 days tops before you need to swap it out. Mine has never lasted that long so not sure exactly.

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2024, 11:48:55 am »
Wow am I late to this

Yes most definitely get the engine.   Cask breather is a must.  You use VERY LITTLE CO2.    And the breather also serves to release excess pressure.  I use my corny kegs as my casks and I prime instead of force carbing

Engines with the swan neck and sparkler give the nitro pour look.  I still think the cask beers poured this way retain more condition than the extremely flat nitro poured beers.   If you can get a set of short spouts.   The beer will look flat but in reality has more condition to it

I serve my beers so they are 52-55 in the glasss so my fridge is set to around 45.  All I have are beer engines.  I would not have it any other way.   It takes a while to get the condition right so they are not over carbonated and “self pour” but once you master that I don’t think you will go back. 

Short spouts

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2024, 11:52:20 am »
Cask breather with CO2 tank

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2024, 11:55:51 am »
Valve after breather before gas ball lock to so CO2 does not back flow through breather and remove excess condition.  My version of a hard spile

« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 02:09:50 pm by HEUBrewer »

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2024, 12:01:35 pm »
Wow am I late to this

Yes most definitely get the engine.   Cask breather is a must.  You use VERY LITTLE CO2.    And the breather also serves to release excess pressure.  I use my corny kegs as my casks and I prime instead of force carbing

Engines with the swan neck and sparkler give the nitro pour look.  I still think the cask beers poured this way retain more condition than the extremely flat nitro poured beers.   If you can get a set of short spouts.   The beer will look flat but in reality has more condition to it

I serve my beers so they are 52-55 in the glasss so my fridge is set to around 45.  All I have are beer engines.  I would not have it any other way.   It takes a while to get the condition right so they are not over carbonated and “self pour” but once you master that I don’t think you will go back. 

Short spouts

That I did! I ordered the pint365 to start with, I see a lot of good stuff about them, and they claim to not need any demand valve etc as it is built in! I’m really excited to try it out once it gets here. I have all the ingredients and am ready to brew a fullers ESB clone recipe to serve on it as soon as I can. That’s a nice set up! If I like it, I plan on getting some anagrams some day. I tried the syringe trick with a local brewery’s ESB and it made quite the difference and I liked what it did to the beer

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2024, 12:04:44 pm »
Even though I have a double engine I only need one breather as I run a gas manifold after the breather

« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 02:11:17 pm by HEUBrewer »

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2024, 12:11:23 pm »
The hard part is the excess condition esp when you first tap.  The first couple of beers are self pouring.

Also. DO NOT attach the gas line when you first tap. You will have beer backflow through the gas line.  Ask me how I know.    I attach the gas line after I start to feel some resistance as I am pumping a vacuum. 

Remember you have a live beer and it is constantly making some co2 and co2 is coming out of solution.

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2024, 12:15:24 pm »
It is more work than force carbing and pouring but well worth the effort. 

Another important item.  I have a y fitting with a valve to clean the engine out at the end of each night.   You don’t want beer in the cylinder

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2024, 12:18:31 pm »
Lastly.  I also have a valve after the beer out ball lock to prevent self pouring beers due to over carbonation.  You can also get a check valve/backflow valve that would serve the same purpose.  I just did not have the room

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2024, 12:30:24 pm »
The reward is this