Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cellar Science SAISON: Origin and Suggested Ferm Schedule?  (Read 971 times)

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Cellar Science SAISON: Origin and Suggested Ferm Schedule?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2024, 12:03:06 pm »
Regardless of Saison strain, I'd love to hear what temp/s you guys ferment your Saisons at. I'm assuming this is a Belgian strain, vs. French.

Drew has spoken about this at length.  He generally pitches in the mid 60s and lets it rise

I think he also states that the Belgian Saison yeast is pressure sensitive and it can be a good practice to open ferment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless new information has come to light, this is a frustrating myth that needs to be dispelled. Saison yeast doesnt care about pressure, if it did we wouldnt be able to bottle condition with it. many diastatic yeasts only produce the enzymes necessary for high attenuation in the presence of oxygen and the absence of simple sugars. Naturally a  pressurized fermentation will create the environment that will prevent oxygen ingress and seemingly cause a stuck or slow fermentation after the simple sugars in the wort have been fermented.

This can be prevented with an open fermentation for the first 3-5 days, which provides enough time for simple sugars to be consumed and oxygen ingress to happen, spurring the yeast to create the enzymes necessary for high attenuation. after which the fermenter can be sealed and allowed to finish as normal.

Not all saison yeast, but pressure definitely seems to affect the Dupont strain.
If it is pressure sensitive, how is SD bottle conditioned effectively? I was incredibly frustrated with the dupont strain until I began open fermenting for the first few days of fermentation, then magically all my troubles with that yeast went away, and I still typically naturally carb my saisons in the keg