Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: HombrewCon 2024 - GABF  (Read 961 times)

Offline Liquid_Inspiration

• 1st Kit
HombrewCon 2024 - GABF
« on: February 15, 2024, 07:24:52 am »
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/aha-events/homebrew-hq-gabf/

This just annoys me.  It's a cop-out.  Maybe I'm just annoyed because I'm in Denver and HomebrewCon was finally going to be local and be in tandem with GABF, lessening my expense on attending.  Looking forward to see what the local homebrew clubs could do in the week leading up to GABF.

But no.....all there will be is a sad little booth that no one will go to.  No big parade on the NHC results, no events.  Essentially they just said "Hey if you are a homebrewer, just go to GABF, they have beer there", removing all effort and accountability.

I don't want to blame Julie, but....  She attended our local homebrew meeting and talked up wanting to build up AHA and the one single big event they do.....they pass the buck.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 07:32:09 am by Liquid_Inspiration »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: HombrewCon 2024 - GABF
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 11:09:07 am »
That is disappointing. For many (most?) members, Homebrewcon and the NHC is the primary reason for belonging to the AHA. I hope concrete details emerge about what is planned to "reimagine" Homebrewcon after "taking a break" this year.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 11:59:47 am »
Hello, Chris and Eric, I, too, will miss Homebrew Con for 2024 and encourage you to consider all perspectives. Those who attend AHA at GABF will find reward in different ways and also can keep it to a lower cost than recent conferences.

We are still providing the option to gather surrounded by layers upon layers of beer and homebrew appreciation opportunities, off the charts networking at the who's who of beer gatherings and more. Plus, we landed on a pretty amazing venue for the 2024 National Homebrew Competition awards at the very festival the AHA and competition started in 1982.

More details on 2024 (and 2025) will be shared with members as we finalize them. Stay tuned to AHA emails and HomebrewersAssociation.org https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/aha-events/homebrew-hq-gabf

Cheers,
Julia
ahaed@brewersassociation.org
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 12:07:23 pm by jherzjherz »
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director
American Homebrewers Association | Boulder, CO 80302

Offline CFRAZIER77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 11:36:36 am »
That is disappointing. For many (most?) members, Homebrewcon and the NHC is the primary reason for belonging to the AHA. I hope concrete details emerge about what is planned to "reimagine" Homebrewcon after "taking a break" this year.

I agree, I understand that there is less of us right now.  But, so much of Homebrewcon is left out that it is not worth it for me to go.  I don't think that I am alone. 

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 05:32:47 am »

I agree, I understand that there is less of us right now.  But, so much of Homebrewcon is left out that it is not worth it for me to go.  I don't think that I am alone.

I worry about the "reimagine" thing. That's the problem, forcing the conference into what's it's not anymore. The AHA needs to accept reality and return to its successful formula of the past: a large hotel venue and cap attendance at around 1500. Also, I've never been involved with planning a conference, submitting a proposal, etc. It must be a massive, time-consuming undertaking. By taking a "hiatus" for '24, isn't the AHA essentially writing off '25? The clock is already ticking for '25. The pairing with the GABF is going to be an unattended, unmitigated disaster. I don't understand what the powers that be were thinking when the solution to return to the past is so obvious. The conference was always the highlight of my year. I fear that it's going to be no more.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline dubs

• 1st Kit
  • <not a bot>
    • My Shop
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 12:41:58 pm »
It is disappointing. I had fun at GABF the times I went but it is very hard to justify the cost of travel and lodging for almost no homebrewing content, networking, and ZERO homebrew sharing. This begs the question: if it flops, does the AHA punt on HBC 2025 as well? I'd reckon that would cause the membership to collapse, and leadership has been very guarded about committing to it returning in any form.

Offline Liquid_Inspiration

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 08:07:08 am »
As it stands now, most my homebrew club only carries AHA to have our club insurance covered (reimbursed).  GABF early access and discounted tickets are nice as well as the homebrew supplies from the local homebrew store.  Discounts at breweries (that actually credit it) is very nice too.

If they stopped the insurance program, I know just about all our club members would cease membership.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 12:23:43 pm »
Being fairly new to all of this, and really wanting to meet up with some of the good folks who have given me so much great info, I wanted to attend last year.  But, the cost of the event, lodging and all put me out of the race.  I would enjoy a local or even regional event where I can at least meet up with some of the folks on the west coast.  But, cost is a big factor for me, and last year was way above my budget.  I will keep an eye on all of this, but unless it is cheaper with the same way of meeting folks from the site, not really worth it to me. 

On a side note, I have toyed with getting the California, northern and beyond, together for a brew day.  But I just don't have the room for it.  That would be kinda fun too   Anyway, good luck to all, I hope they figure it all out.  My membership here is really only to support. 

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 01:55:50 pm »
It is disappointing. I had fun at GABF the times I went but it is very hard to justify the cost of travel and lodging for almost no homebrewing content, networking, and ZERO homebrew sharing. This begs the question: if it flops, does the AHA punt on HBC 2025 as well? I'd reckon that would cause the membership to collapse, and leadership has been very guarded about committing to it returning in any form.

As I posted earlier in one of the several threads on this subject, most hotels large enough to handle 1000 -1500 people are booked 3 -5 years in advance. So, if AHA is thinking about moving from "convention center" to "large hotel" and they have not already contracted with a hotel, it will be unlikely that will happen in 2025.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan