Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BIAB water salts questions  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Frank The Tank

• 1st Kit
BIAB water salts questions
« on: February 13, 2024, 03:42:21 pm »
I brew 5 gallon batches in a brew bag with a full volume mash using RO water. I’m starting to tinker with brewing salts a little. Here are my 3 main templates:
West Coast IPA: 2 tsp gypsum, 1 tsp calcium chloride
Hazy IPA: 2 tsp calcium chloride, 1 tsp gypsum
Light Lager/Pilsner: 1 tsp gypsum, 1 tsp calcium chloride

Two questions:
1) Do you guys think this is a good starting point for using salts?
2) Should I be adding the salts all at the start of the mash?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 07:15:49 pm »
1) Yes. I think of brewing salts like using seasoning in cooking. Some like a little more of this and a little less of that. Over time you figure out what you like which may change over time.  I am in the less is more camp and shoot for around 50 ppm calcium via gypsum, or CaCl, or both, leaning towards CaCl for malty beers and gypsum for bitter beers. Some add far less salts to Pils for a softer profile. YMMV

2) I add salts to the strike water once it’s heated up prior to mash in.  I add the hot water to a ramekin with the salts, stir to dissolve, then pour it in.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 07:18:04 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: BIAB water salts questions
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 06:31:34 am »
Using recipe software will help you determine exactly what you need to add. Or for a stand alone water tool look for Bru'n Water: https://www.brunwater.com/
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 08:06:16 am »
You will get more consistent results measuring by weight than volume
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 08:08:23 am »
Using recipe software will help you determine exactly what you need to add. Or for a stand alone water tool look for Bru'n Water: https://www.brunwater.com/

+1 and +1.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 08:48:10 am »

+1 and +1.

Add another +1 and +1
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 09:15:57 am »
Of course, testing the water to know your starting point is essential to determine where you will wind up.  Though it could be done by trial and error over several batches to hone in on for salt and mineral additions to reach your preference.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2024, 09:24:51 am »
I figure whichever you’re more comfortable with is what you should use.

Because the exact cation and anion contributions in brewing salts are rough approximations at best, and even though measuring by weight is much more accurate, I believe measuring by volume is fine. You are dealing with rough approximations, no matter how many decimal places you use.  You might be precise using a gram scale but no way it’s accurate without lab results.

I measure by volume, because I want ~50 ppm Ca in the mash and a little in the boil, and since the exact concentration is unknown, it’s close enough.

It’s kinda like the IBU. No way it’s accurate but X IBU calculated in my software of choice, on my system, tastes like *this* to me. It’s dialed in by a little more or less through trial and error over time.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 12:18:49 pm by BrewBama »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2024, 01:11:46 pm »
Adding salts to RO water is a good first step, but the most important step in brewing water adjustment is alkalinity adjustment. That step has a profound effect on the beer perception and reducing faults. Depending upon the grist, either an acid or base could be needed in that RO mashing water in order to produce a 'good' wort pH.  Using a good brewing water chemistry program makes any water additions easier.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Finn Berger

• 1st Kit
  • Retired teacher with a writing itch
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 01:39:20 pm »

One caveat though: Mineral salts are hygroscopic, and you don't really know how much water they may have absorbed.

Adhering to the KISS principle I just add salts by measuring spoons:). Not very accurate, but accurate enough. Accuracy is an illusion anyway, as you have no way of knowing how much minerals are added by your grains.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2024, 02:11:42 pm »

One caveat though: Mineral salts are hygroscopic, and you don't really know how much water they may have absorbed.

Adhering to the KISS principle I just add salts by measuring spoons:). Not very accurate, but accurate enough. Accuracy is an illusion anyway, as you have no way of knowing how much minerals are added by your grains.

That's true,  but it would also affect volume measurements wouldn't it? And I totally agree with your comment about accuracy.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Finn Berger

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2024, 03:02:16 pm »

That's true,  but it would also affect volume measurements wouldn't it? And I totally agree with your comment about accuracy.

You may be right there. I've sort of been imagining the water seeping into empty space between the mineral molecules. We need a chemist here, there are too many people like me - been teaching Norwegian language and litterature, history and philosophy - around;).

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2024, 03:15:59 pm »

You may be right there. I've sort of been imagining the water seeping into empty space between the mineral molecules. We need a chemist here, there are too many people like me - been teaching Norwegian language and litterature, history and philosophy - around;).

I have some chemistry background. I would think the water would be absorbed by the minerals and make them swell.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Finn Berger

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2024, 11:49:15 pm »

I have some chemistry background. I would think the water would be absorbed by the minerals and make them swell.

I bow to the chemist's verdict, and will definitely regard the waistlines of my salts with suspicion from now on :).

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2024, 01:03:02 pm »

I don't think it's that simple, since hydrated salts are typically more dense than anhydrous (sometimes significantly so). The issue with volume measurements is that grain size and shape (and therefore the empty space in between) has a significant role. Without knowing the extent of hydration of the salt and its affect (if any) on the size and shape of the crystals, there's just too many moving pieces to make a solid rule of thumb estimate. And it very well may go in different directions for different compounds as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer