Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What Are Your 2024 Homebrewing Resolutions? Here Are Mine...  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
Re: What Are Your 2024 Homebrewing Resolutions? Here Are Mine...
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2024, 04:23:59 pm »
My resolution is to stop F’ing with my recipes. I’ve spent years trying to brew the perfect stout, Porter, brown, etc. and as soon as I create one I really enjoy I make a change and screw it up.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2024, 07:13:29 pm »
My resolution is to stop F’ing with my recipes. I’ve spent years trying to brew the perfect stout, Porter, brown, etc. and as soon as I create one I really enjoy I make a change and screw it up.

Well...then. Looks like your mission is easy. Stick with what works. Or...you can split the batch and tinker with 1/2 and keep other 1/2 as intended and already proven to be good.
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director
American Homebrewers Association | Boulder, CO 80302

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2024, 08:24:45 pm »

i know what you mean - i think of it as my time to dial things in after a lot of experimentation. time to make my brewing more efficient in terms of likely success vs. experimentation

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2024, 02:51:04 am »
So...what are your 2024 homebrewing goals, resolutions, wishes and plans?
Stop caring about the state of home brewing.  Some of my other hobbies are also dead or dying based on similar economic or social metrics. 

(carry over from mid 2023) quietly explore adding 'oxygen' to the list of "brewing elements" (malt, hops, yeast, water). 

Brew with a couple of new (to me) DME / LME products.

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2024, 05:48:48 am »
Brew the style of beer I really like and stick with it. British Ales. I started brewing them in 1979 and kind of forgot about them in recent years. The one thing I remember about them was the simplicity of the recipes, so maybe it is time to dig out my brewing books that have been in a box in my basement for a few years and give them another read.

Chris

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2024, 07:49:41 am »

i know what you mean - i think of it as my time to dial things in after a lot of experimentation. time to make my brewing more efficient in terms of likely success vs. experimentation
Yeah, I get caught in this cycle myself. I like to experiment, but if I do it too much I get stuck with a string of *meh* beers and start to lose a bit of interest in brewing.

To that point, my first resolution is to get a non-experimental IPA on tap ASAP. I've been playing with a lot of advanced hop products lately and the resulting IPAs haven't really been doing it for me.

My second resolution is to have more patience with certain beer styles. I had an ESB on tap that took nearly 3 months to hit its prime. I actually brewed a beer to replace it because I was planning on dumping it. Afterwards, I retasted it and realized it had become fantastic. I had some friends over for the holidays and that keg kicked in a couple hours. Usually it's my lager and IPA taps that go quickly, but this time it was the ale.

My third resolution is to rebrew that ESB and see if it turns out just as well. I rarely brew the exact same recipe as-is, but I kind of want to confirm that this is worth "locking in" as a base recipe before I make tweaks to it in the future.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2024, 09:00:31 am »
My first resolution is to simplify my process.
My second resolution is to brew at least two styles that I haven't brewed before.
My third resolution is to avoid the lure of craft malt, which has generally been a disappointment for me.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2024, 09:13:29 am »
So...what are your 2024 homebrewing goals, resolutions, wishes and plans?
Stop caring about the state of home brewing.  Some of my other hobbies are also dead or dying based on similar economic or social metrics. 

(carry over from mid 2023) quietly explore adding 'oxygen' to the list of "brewing elements" (malt, hops, yeast, water). 

Brew with a couple of new (to me) DME / LME products.

Brew on and keep us posted!
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What Are Your 2024 Homebrewing Resolutions? Here Are Mine...
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2024, 09:53:44 am »
my 2024 HomeBrew goals are: 1) continue drinking less to continue weight loss effort therefore brewing smaller volume batches, 2) find ways to give away beer so I can keep the brewday/batch count up, and 3) enter a few more competitions and improve competition scores.

Edit: 4) get my carbonation levels dialed in.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 11:42:19 am by BrewBama »

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2024, 11:31:06 am »
my 2024 HomeBrew goals are: 1) continue drinking less to continue weight loss effort therefore brewing smaller volume batches, 2) find ways to give away beer so I can keep the brewday/batch count up, and 3) enter a few more competitions and improve competition scores.

GO BrewBama. More power to ya.
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2024, 11:49:16 am »

My 2024 goals would be:

1. Continue messing with my recipes. I have a pretty reliable Saison/Grisette base with wheat and strisselspalt, but I haven't made a wild ale better than Tilquin Quetsche yet. And I haven't settled on go-to stout/porter/dark ale yet.

2. Successfully transplant my brewing hardware back across country, and really dial-in my process for my now standard 10-liter batch size.

3. Continue improving my non-beer fermentations (Mead, Cider) and non-alcoholic fermentations (kombucha, hot sauce, kimchi, etc).

The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2024, 07:13:39 pm »
My goals are.
1. Brew regularly, twice a month would be good.
2. This is in support of #1: do what it takes to make brewing easier and more fun. The long term goal is making a dedicated brewery but The realistic short term goal is to make my brewing equipment and supplies more organized and accessible. I have made progress on this front in recent weeks, chipping away in the cellar.
3. Always have favorite not always available locally on tap. I am mostly thinking English ales but also dry stouts, patersbier and more.
4. Make some brews I have always been meaning to. First and foremost is an Ebulon when elderberries are in season. Also start some high gravity beers for winter with enough time that they are many months old: RIS, Quads, Barleywine. Also some Braggot.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2024, 07:32:08 pm »
Quote from: jherzjherz link=topic=40121.msg490966#msg490966 [url=https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2023/12/18/what-happens-when-craft-beer-and-homebrewing-decouple
https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2023/12/18/what-happens-when-craft-beer-and-homebrewing-decouple[/url].
I read the article (suggested reading don't violate new years resolutions  ;)). 

One of my wishes for 2024 is that we stop repeating (or reminiscing about) the stories of outdated kits bought at department stores in the mid 2010s.

There are more "wishes", but "baby steps" seem to be the best approach.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2024, 10:57:29 am »
After the past 9 months of not being able to brew my goal is just to get back to it. It's been one life event after another (not all of them bad) coupled with a string of unrelated health issues that continue to the present.

When I do get back to it I think I'm going to ditch the 5 gallon batch and start making 2.5 gallons at a time.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2024, 11:38:58 am »
Quote from: jherzjherz link=topic=40121.msg490966#msg490966 [url=https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2023/12/18/what-happens-when-craft-beer-and-homebrewing-decouple
https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2023/12/18/what-happens-when-craft-beer-and-homebrewing-decouple[/url].
I read the article (suggested reading don't violate new years resolutions  ;)). 

One of my wishes for 2024 is that we stop repeating (or reminiscing about) the stories of outdated kits bought at department stores in the mid 2010s.

There are more "wishes", but "baby steps" seem to be the best approach.

I love it. Since I've come in as Executive Director to the AHA I've learned a lot about homebrewing's history and the early days. The future of homebrewing is where more of the conversation should go.
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director