Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing a High Viscosity Stout  (Read 1285 times)

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
Brewing a High Viscosity Stout
« on: December 22, 2023, 07:07:17 pm »
I have brewed an incredibly thick stout before, but came up short on volume.. Wanting to brew a full 5 gallon batch of approx. 8% stout, but I want it to be thick as motor oil. Trying to figure this out reminds me of Algebra class  :-\ If I boil a normal recipe (based on 60 min. boil), for 2 1/2 hours, I will obviously come up short on volume. If I add more water to account for the extra boil off, I'd think it would just be a "wash". So how do I get a thicker stout, hit my OG, and hit my targeted volume?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 07:10:55 pm by John »
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Brewing a High Viscosity Stout
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 10:20:50 pm »
Instead of a boil calculation you may want to look into using maltodextrin and oatmeal. I use oatmeal on a regular basis for my stouts to increase body, but have never used maltodextrin. Others with more experience a chime in, but I believe it can give you the thickness you’re looking for.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2023, 04:58:29 am »
Not sure if this is what you are after, but it won many awards over the years…

https://byo.com/recipe/four-tsarinas-imperial-stout-joe-formanek/

This is a master homebrewer’s approach to a Russian Imperial Stout.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 08:49:14 am »
Thank you guys. After sleeping on this, I'm thinking the solution to what I'm trying to achieve is to just increase the batch size to account for the additional boil off, while still achieving the thickness I'm after.
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2023, 10:07:05 am »
i remember maltodextrin being used a lot about 10+ years ago. i personally never did, but you should definitely consider it if you want to go all out.

flaked grains probably

keep carbonation down as well, aim for a high-FG though i dont think that inherently a high FG means increased viscosity but its a potential factor.

consider yeasts carefully as I simply find some yeasts create a fuller body sensation and i know there is science to support that.

its a good project

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2023, 10:39:43 am »
I have always used Flaked Barley in my Imperial Stout. I think it helps give a chewy mouthfeel.
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2023, 11:12:40 am »
I have always used Flaked Barley in my Imperial Stout. I think it helps give a chewy mouthfeel.

Classic Guinness recipe is 70% pale, 20% flaked, 10% roast
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2023, 12:05:52 pm »

ive had an issue with this one for a while tbh.

i have made several dry stout iterations, and the most recent one i made is NOT a perfect clone, but IMHO is much closer than the near-smokey dry-barky simply BURNT taste of all roast barley, at least from the maltster who does the RB i use.

the beer i made was 7% black malt, 5% RB the rest golden promise with 5% sucrose in an attempt to get it drier (this actually failed since i accid. mashed way too high). note 0% flaked barley, which i would actually amend next time i try this

i dont drink guinness super often, and i mean then next is : what IS guinness now, and what was guinness at different times?

but from all the multiple sources of guinness products ive had i feel like that 10% RB, 20% flaked 70% pale is just a lazy "we solved this a long time ago so dont think about it" homebrewing thing. ive made beers with this grist and they never tasted like guinness, way too assertive, just off in a lot of ways.

next time around id probably do a 149 mash, 8% black, 4% RB (guinness's roast is so smooth and in the background). 3% flaked barley and the rest some pale malt. as well as trying to figure out the water profile

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2023, 07:18:16 am »
Instead of a boil calculation you may want to look into using maltodextrin and oatmeal. I use oatmeal on a regular basis for my stouts to increase body, but have never used maltodextrin. Others with more experience a chime in, but I believe it can give you the thickness you’re looking for.

I have always used flaked barley to increase the mouthfeel in my Imperial Stout, and I recently started using maltodextrine to beef up the body a bit more.  It seems to work pretty well for me.  I only used 4 ounces in a 5 gallon batch although the manufacturer recommends twice that amount.  I will try it with 8 ounces the next time I brew the beer to see if it makes the beer even more chewy.

Carapils also adds body to a beer and I use that as well in my stouts and porters.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2023, 12:03:48 pm »

i have made several dry stout iterations, and the most recent one i made is NOT a perfect clone, but IMHO is much closer than the near-smokey dry-barky simply BURNT taste of all roast barley, at least from the maltster who does the RB i use.

the beer i made was 7% black malt, 5% RB the rest golden promise with 5% sucrose in an attempt to get it drier (this actually failed since i accid. mashed way too high). note 0% flaked barley, which i would actually amend next time i try this

i dont drink guinness super often, and i mean then next is : what IS guinness now, and what was guinness at different times?

but from all the multiple sources of guinness products ive had i feel like that 10% RB, 20% flaked 70% pale is just a lazy "we solved this a long time ago so dont think about it" homebrewing thing. ive made beers with this grist and they never tasted like guinness, way too assertive, just off in a lot of ways.

next time around id probably do a 149 mash, 8% black, 4% RB (guinness's roast is so smooth and in the background). 3% flaked barley and the rest some pale malt. as well as trying to figure out the water profile
Adjusting your mash pH to 5.6-5.8 will help to reduce roast astringency
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2023, 01:08:08 pm »

yes, that is true. at the moment i don't have a solid thing to add to increase pH though other than baking soda. but again, this is how i have it dialed in on my system and i feel like i am definitely in the zone in regards to macro changes to match a guinness and just need to tweak it.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2023, 06:29:47 pm »

yes, that is true. at the moment i don't have a solid thing to add to increase pH though other than baking soda. but again, this is how i have it dialed in on my system and i feel like i am definitely in the zone in regards to macro changes to match a guinness and just need to tweak it.
Pickling lime is your friend. I think it has less flavor impact than Baking Soda. Any farm store will have it in canning section.
Something like this:

https://www.menards.com/main/grocery-home/grocery/canning-supplies/mrs-wages-reg-pickling-lime-16-oz/w502-d3425/p-1444451342528-c-1462209588021.htm
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2023, 09:22:22 pm »

Pickling lime is your friend. I think it has less flavor impact than Baking Soda. Any farm store will have it in canning section.
Something like this:

https://www.menards.com/main/grocery-home/grocery/canning-supplies/mrs-wages-reg-pickling-lime-16-oz/w502-d3425/p-1444451342528-c-1462209588021.htm

ive been looking for pickling lime for a while now (in canada) and cant find it. i want to use it for making candi syrup.

ill look again at some point.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2023, 07:08:49 am »

[/quote]
Something like this:

[/quote]

+1.

I use pickling lime instead of chalk to raise pH and have cut back on bakinng soda.  It does the job for me.  You just have to do an acid test on pickling lime every once in a while to make sure that it hasn't degraded.  If it has degraded, it will react with the acid and bubble.  If it is still good, nothing will happen.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2023, 04:45:50 pm »
What type of flavor impact does baking soda have? I use it in almost all of my darker beers. At a rate of 2g-4g. In a 4.7 gallon mash, I don’t detect anything negative. Of course, I’m not sure what I’m looking for.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa