Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Barley Crusher vs. Monster Mill  (Read 748 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Barley Crusher vs. Monster Mill
« on: December 16, 2023, 12:33:56 pm »
I've had a Barley Crusher since 2007, and it's been a great mill.  I did have to replace the rollers in 2016 but otherwise haven't had any real issues with it.  However, I recently purchased a Monster Mill, and it is a huge improvement in build quality.

If you use a drill this probably won't matter much to you, but I usually mill by hand and it's huge: the Barley Crusher takes 51 revolutions to crush a pound of grain, and the MM only takes 28.  It almost cuts the milling time in half.

Below is what the crush looks like with the gap set at .042.  It's a lot less flour than I'm used to.  I'm brewing with it for the first time today, so I'll have to see if efficiency takes a hit.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Barley Crusher vs. Monster Mill
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 06:03:33 am »
That’s interesting since I also use a Barley Crusher.  Why did you have to replace the rollers?

I’m also curious how your brew turns out — how your new mill performed.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 09:08:34 am »
Why did you have to replace the rollers?

Eventually, the knurling on the rollers will wear out to the point where the grain will no longer feed through.  They sell replacement rollers for $50.  Otherwise, you can switch the rollers around so that the driven roller is in the back and turns counter clockwise.  That will buy you some time.

I got my typical efficiency for a no sparge batch, so I don't see any need to tighten the gap on the MM.  I'm really happy with it so far.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 07:29:53 am »
Why did you have to replace the rollers?

Eventually, the knurling on the rollers will wear out to the point where the grain will no longer feed through.  They sell replacement rollers for $50.  Otherwise, you can switch the rollers around so that the driven roller is in the back and turns counter clockwise.  That will buy you some time.

I got my typical efficiency for a no sparge batch, so I don't see any need to tighten the gap on the MM.  I'm really happy with it so far.

Great information!  Thanks!! 
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 08:19:12 am »
Do you get a 2-roller or a 3-roller MM? I had a Barley Crusher for years, and it served me quite well, but once the knurling wore out I decided to upgrade to a 3-roller Monster Mill. It is definitely a solidly built machine. I too noticed less flour than usual with my crush while getting comparable efficiency. I assumed it was from having a 3rd roller, but maybe there's something else going on with the construction of the mill itself.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 10:27:26 am »
Do you get a 2-roller or a 3-roller MM?

I went with the 2 roller version. 

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 06:58:10 am »
I've had a Barley Crusher for over a dozen years and the rollers have not worn out. I do take it apart and clean everything regularly though.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Brew.Drink.Repeat.

• Conference
  • Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 07:56:42 pm »
I've had a Barley Crusher for 15+, and the rollers haven't worn out. And I've NEVER taken it apart, not once. :)
Brian Pylant
BJCP National B0565

South Jersey Fermentation Club (formerly Barley Legal Homebrewers)