Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stainless braid question ...  (Read 542 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Stainless braid question ...
« on: November 18, 2023, 08:15:32 am »
I use a cylinder-shaped cooler to mash with a stainless braid and spigot.  I brewed yesterday and afterwards I was looking at the braid because I've been threatening to replace it.  I took out the old one and installed a new one and I'm thinking I should do something with it prior to using it on my next batch.  I remember using a brand new stainless chiller once .. I used it right out of the package and ruined a batch of beer because someone (later) explained that the chiller probably had machining oil on it.  I just got some water to 180° and I poured that into the MT and I'll let it sit.  Anything else?  Throw some Starsan solution in there afterwards?  Do I need a hot soak with Oxy?  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Stainless braid question ...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 09:14:06 am »
I have used many braids and not done anything but use them. Your process should be more than sufficient.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 10:31:15 am »
Thanks Denny.  Full disclosure, when I was removing the old braid there was some cringeworthy crustiness where the braid came in contact with the spigot assembly.  I winced a little bit but realize it's probably nothing to worry about since the boil would take care of that.  All you would need is a small separation of the braid somewhere for some grain to get in there and then probably never come out.  How often do people with braids swap them out for new?

Ps.  I keep typing "brain" instead of braid.  The title was almost "satinless brain question".  Wake up, Ken.  Wake up. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 11:11:25 am »
Thanks Denny.  Full disclosure, when I was removing the old braid there was some cringeworthy crustiness where the braid came in contact with the spigot assembly.  I winced a little bit but realize it's probably nothing to worry about since the boil would take care of that.  All you would need is a small separation of the braid somewhere for some grain to get in there and then probably never come out.  How often do people with braids swap them out for new?

Ps.  I keep typing "brain" instead of braid.  The title was almost "satinless brain question".  Wake up, Ken.  Wake up.

I used the same braid for 20+ years. Never found trapped grain or crustiness. Possibly because of the outlet system I used. Braid never separated, either. Do you use the Lasco braid I recommend?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2023, 11:25:23 am »

I used the same braid for 20+ years. Never found trapped grain or crustiness. Possibly because of the outlet system I used. Braid never separated, either. Do you use the Lasco braid I recommend?
I bet I used the first one for 15 years and this one was maybe 8 years old.  Quite "collapsed" and mangled.  It still worked but it seemed like it needed to be replaced.  Do you have a link to the Lasco one?  The one I'm using is from a washing machine replacement line.  I cut off the ends, pulled out the vinyl tubing and installed it.  It's quite flimsy. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 12:18:56 pm »

I bet I used the first one for 15 years and this one was maybe 8 years old.  Quite "collapsed" and mangled.  It still worked but it seemed like it needed to be replaced.  Do you have a link to the Lasco one?  The one I'm using is from a washing machine replacement line.  I cut off the ends, pulled out the vinyl tubing and installed it.  It's quite flimsy.

Here are then part numbers.  Only difference is the length.  I know Amazon has carried them, a;though I get mine from a local home improvement store.  Very sturdy! Lasco brand (part number 10-0121 or 10-0321)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2023, 11:44:49 am »
I had a braid in my 10 gal mashtun for a while. It ended up getting mangled and crushed and eventually led to stuck mashes and more grain bits getting through. I ended up moving the braid into my two gallon mash tun where it is still flattened but seems to work ok. I guess the weight of too much grain flattened it and opened up the braid too much.

I would remove machine oil from anything metal that comes in contact with your wort/beer that isn't explicitly food grade and check the manual before use on anything else to see if it recommends it. My old corona type mill came with instructions to degrease all the parts before use, even though it is intended for food use.

Water or starsan are probably not sufficient options. You need something that will break down oil. Dawn or another dish soap might be ok but the best option would be a high proof alcohol. A soak in rubbing alcohol for a few hours was recommended for the mill and that's what I've used since. Just make sure you give it a good rinse to remove the oil residue and rubbing alcohol before use.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2023, 04:15:26 pm »
Your experience with braid I s why I started letting people know the brand and part number of what I use. Years of heavy use and not a single problem with it.

www.dennybrew.com