Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Step Mash with no Robobrew  (Read 475 times)

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
Step Mash with no Robobrew
« on: November 07, 2023, 05:33:10 pm »
I'd like to step mash a tripel...but I brew from a pot and a couple of coolers. Anyone pulled this off who'd be willing to offer advice? Thanks
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Step Mash with no Robobrew
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 08:56:51 am »
I'd like to step mash a tripel...but I brew from a pot and a couple of coolers. Anyone pulled this off who'd be willing to offer advice? Thanks

When I step mashed in a cooler, I'd stir in boiling water to hit the steps.  But truthfully,  I found no difference between a step mash and a 90 min single rest at 148 for my tripel.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 07:46:47 am »
I agree with Denny.  I step mashed for years and found the same results with a single temperature mash.  As I understand, malts are modified today more so than they were years ago.

When I did step mash, I used BeerSmith for all my calculations.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 10:20:58 am »
When I step mashed in a cooler, I'd stir in boiling water to hit the steps. 

I did the same for years.  Once I got it dialed in, I could hit my temps pretty reliably (typically 147-148° for 30 minutes and 162-163° for 30 minutes).

But truthfully,  I found no difference between a step mash and a 90 min single rest at 148 for my tripel.

Do you not step mash with your G40?  Being able to easily run a multi temp step mash is one of my favorite things about it.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 12:07:52 pm »
When I step mashed in a cooler, I'd stir in boiling water to hit the steps. 

I did the same for years.  Once I got it dialed in, I could hit my temps pretty reliably (typically 147-148° for 30 minutes and 162-163° for 30 minutes).

But truthfully,  I found no difference between a step mash and a 90 min single rest at 148 for my tripel.

Do you not step mash with your G40?  Being able to easily run a multi temp step mash is one of my favorite things about it.

I do once in a while depending on the malt. But maybe only 3% of the time.  Unless the malt recommends it, I do a single infusion.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell