Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: floaties still after 2 weeks  (Read 378 times)

Offline YorkshireBrewer

• 1st Kit
floaties still after 2 weeks
« on: October 21, 2023, 08:08:17 am »

I am brewing a 1-gallon hefe, primary for a week and secondary for another week. I still have some floaty bits in my jug, should i wait another week?

Thanks.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: floaties still after 2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 08:31:07 am »
You do not really need to use a secondary.  You just run the risk of introducing oxygen into the beer by racking it.

Did you check your gravity?  If it hasn't changed over the course of several days, you are done and the floaties may jut be clumps of yeast that haven't dropped out.  You can also taste the beer to make sure that the floaties are not some infection, but I would surmise that it is just unflocculaed yeast clumps.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 09:17:01 am »
You do not really need to use a secondary.  You just run the risk of introducing oxygen into the beer by racking it.
I would add that a hefe is expected to have yeast haze, so this goes double for a hefe.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 11:05:42 am »
I wouldn't be worried about it, especially with that yeast.

I also would not personally worry about a secondary. I am generally not a fan of using secondary rests and that is doubly true for one gallon batches where it's tough to minimize oxygen exposure during racking. Hefeweizens can be sensitive to oxidation so of all beers to not send to secondary, this is the one. Hefeweizens are at their best fresh so I would bottle now if you're a week out. 
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing