Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Just sitting here watching Youtube Vids and it got me wondering  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: Just sitting here watching Youtube Vids and it got me wondering
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2023, 10:44:12 pm »
Great thread!

Something to consider -- earlier in my homebrew journey, I avoided trying new techniques (esp. all-grain) because the most visible messaging was that you needed a massive garage, 15 burners, and a 7 figure income to get the "right" setup. I exaggerate slightly, but I think many of you know what I mean. A big tricked-out rig is awesome, but as so many have already said, it's not necessary. I do worry that the unintentional messaging around our hobby may turn off or turn away some great potential brewers. This is why I'm so glad to see the small-batch brewing subset, all-in-one-systems, and other innovations that create more ways to brew excellent beer. Visibility for a diverse set of brewing techniques will ensure a broader set of brewers.

For my part, once I discovered batch sparging, I learned that all-grain was way more accessible of a technique than I had thought.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2023, 08:47:25 am »
Great thread!

Something to consider -- earlier in my homebrew journey, I avoided trying new techniques (esp. all-grain) because the most visible messaging was that you needed a massive garage, 15 burners, and a 7 figure income to get the "right" setup. I exaggerate slightly, but I think many of you know what I mean. A big tricked-out rig is awesome, but as so many have already said, it's not necessary. I do worry that the unintentional messaging around our hobby may turn off or turn away some great potential brewers. This is why I'm so glad to see the small-batch brewing subset, all-in-one-systems, and other innovations that create more ways to brew excellent beer. Visibility for a diverse set of brewing techniques will ensure a broader set of brewers.

For my part, once I discovered batch sparging, I learned that all-grain was way more accessible of a technique than I had thought.
I brewed with extracts for an unbelievable FIVE years.  I started brewing at a brew-on-premise that used LME so I thought it was a perfectly acceptable way to make beer.  Eventually I did get into all-grain and I like the process and the creativity.  My setup is super simple.  Cylinder-shaped cooler, 10-gallon Polarware pot, 25' stainless chiller.  10 kegs.  Four taps.  Speaking of creativity .. designing a recipe can be an expression of creativity.  Making labels, setting up a space to tap and drink beer, coming up with catchy names for your beer.  The design of your brewing system is the same.  If you were a person with a real passion for building a huge stainless brewing system in a corner of your basement (or whatever), that's going to be a motivating factor for sure.  Same with a draft system.  It's one of the sweet parts of this hobby .. lots of variables.  Spend time brewing with another brewer and I guarantee you'll see some things that you've probably never seen before. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2023, 09:34:22 am »
Check out Homebrew All Stars. We profile 25 great homeberewers and look at the equipment and processes we use. Makes clear that there are many ways to make great beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2023, 11:04:19 am »
Great thread!

I started brewing in those days when the overwhelming message was that you would want to do ten gallon batches minimum but you should plan to brew fifteen or twenty gallon batches because you'll eventually get there and need a significantly larger system. The idea of brewing 1-3 gallon batches was considered a waste of time at best and not considered real brewing by a lot of people. I've been brewing for fourteen years and my biggest batch ever was six gallons. I've brewed more one gallon batches than any other size and most of my brewing now is just three gallons.

Thankfully we got away from that message being so loud in the community. As homebrewing swelled in the mid-2010s it came with a lot of apartment brewers with no room for that kind of system and no need for twenty gallon batches. Even though I don't personally like BIAB, it was a huge part of opening the door to brewing for people who wanted smaller batches and lack storage space for a lot of equipment. The hobby is big enough to share space with people brewing on large and luxurious systems alongside people who brew small batches stovetop.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2023, 11:42:51 am »
I've been brewing since 1999 and my number of batches per year is anywhere from 35 up to about 50 at my peak.  So if I brewed an average of 40 batches per year (ish) for 24 years that's 960 batches of beer.  I have never brewed anything other than a five gallon batch.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

huckdavidson

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2023, 01:51:48 pm »
"Fancy system" can be interpreted different ways.  A cooler w/ a braid might be fancy to someone with a bucket and drilled holes (Zapap?).  A single vessel BIAB/all-in-one might be fancy to someone with a cooler w/ a braid.  A 3 vessel HERMS/RIMS might be fancy to someone with a single vessel BIAB/all-in-one.  A full blown 3 vessel low oxygen setup might be fancy to someone with a 3 vessel HERMS/RIMS.

A drinkable beer to your taste with no discernable faults is a good beer no matter how it's brewed or what system it's brewed on.  Process and process adjustments get you to that point.

Offline House Of Ales

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2023, 09:27:51 pm »
I’m a simple brewer. 2.5 gallon BIAB. Works for me.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2023, 07:22:12 pm »
i think the messages are clear here but as i get older, and i know many people here much older than i, i definitely anticipate increased automation and investment in my brewing equipment. when im 60 i definitely dont want to be lifting 5 gallons of wort or beer even for a very short distance.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2023, 04:10:16 am »
i think the messages are clear here but as i get older, and i know many people here much older than i, i definitely anticipate increased automation and investment in my brewing equipment. when im 60 i definitely dont want to be lifting 5 gallons of wort or beer even for a very short distance.

IDK how "old" you are but I can attest to the fact that 60 isn't at all old. I'm 61 and can still carry 2-5 gallon kegs (100 lbs.) up 15 stairs around the corner, down the hall and into the garage to put on tap. Am I huffing and puffing? Hell Yes!! And that's my signal to have a beer!! Cheers to the old farts!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2023, 09:42:59 am »
You kids!  :D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2023, 10:21:35 am »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline House Of Ales

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2023, 07:08:15 pm »
Quote from: jeffy link=topic=39994.msg489569 :'( #msg489569 date=1696954895
You kids!  :D
Whipper-snappers

Funny

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2023, 08:38:11 am »
What makes better beer, experience makes better beer. I have 2 systems, both run on NG. Both built over years of brewing. Both make great beer now. Both made very average beer years ago. It isn’t the system at all in my opinion. I do see an AIO system for me down the road. I’d love to brew inside and have strike at temp when I wake up. Man that sounds nice. Brewing 20g of Kolsch on Saturday. It’s so much better now than 10 years ago. Every step matters, equipment not as important.
Jeff B

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2023, 02:37:27 pm »
Um... IMO... skip the YouTube videos. These, as far as I've seen, are useless.

Offline Skeeter686

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2023, 03:50:07 pm »
Um... IMO... skip the YouTube videos. These, as far as I've seen, are useless.

Not being defensive or anything, but if you feel YouTube videos are useless, than what would you suggest?

I joined a homebrew club in the hope of learning more.  They're a great bunch of guys, but it's really more of a bunch of guys who enjoy drinking beer together, rather than a high functioning homebrew club that hosts educational events.

I can read books, and I've collected a number of them, but it's nice to see different techniques and systems in action.  YouTube can provide that, and I'm not sure where else to find something similar.