Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Just sitting here watching Youtube Vids and it got me wondering  (Read 2961 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
I posted this on another forum, but I know there are some folks here that are not there who's opinion I respect and would like to see what their take is.  Read on.  LOL

I like to watch Youtube Vids on how to do different things. Auto mechanic stuff, guitar tutorials and beer making. What I find interesting on beer making is the vast variety of equipment used and the complexity of some of the setups. I guess I am a simpleton at heart. As I watch these videos I am left wondering, am I missing out on something? Does spending hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars produce better beer? I have been really happy with what I have made so far. And am in no way a pro, or even a novice yet. But, I see all these fancy setups with all in one mash, boil and sparge capabilities, I see these fermenters that will allow you to ferment under pressure and dry hop without removing the lid. As I said, I am a pretty simple guy at heart and love the idea of doing things very hands on. But, again, do these fancy setups really produce better beer? I only post this as a point of discussion, not to get into a pissing match against different setups or different brands of setups. So, with that said, discuss. LOL

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Just sitting here watching Youtube Vids and it got me wondering
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 03:56:51 am »
Does owning a Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 make you a better driver? No! Seriously though, the short answer is yes and no. Certain equipment and certain processes will and does make better beer. With that said, if your recipe sucks then chances are good the final product will also suck. I made great beer with 2 Gott coolers a keggle and 6 gallon carboys.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 05:22:25 am »
Some folks are into bling and/or automation. Or they are "Tim Taylor" and need to have more and more power.
Do they automagically make better beer? I don't think so.

I mash/sparge in a Coleman cooler, boil in a, cheap by today's prices, stainless steel pot and ferment in carboys. I, my wife, son and our friends like my beer. Good enough for me.
I used the "extra" money to help pay for my 4 kid's college.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 05:38:14 am »
Being an individual who purchased a fully electric system a few years back and moved everything to the basement, I freely admit that I didn't need to spend the money.  However, living in MN it's offered me the chance to brew in a good environment year round.  Did I take it a little too far with my brewing room?  Absolutely.  Is it a great place to escape and relieve the stress of work and every day life?  Definitely. 

In the end I have come to the thought that the most costly part of brewing is time and unfortunately between my career (periodic travel), wife, two grown sons, and a few other hobbies there is never enough time to brew.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 06:17:10 am »
More than one brewer wins medals often on a bare bones system. Process is key, especially the fermentation.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2023, 07:14:22 am »
"But, again, do these fancy setups really produce better beer?"

A better brewer makes better beer.

It doesn't matter what your process is, as long as you are enjoying the hobby.  That's the key.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2023, 07:34:09 am »
I like the idea of making beer with a simple setup.  I am a strange "brewer" because building things and having a cool brewing setup does not appeal to me.  I found out years ago that if I could buy a wort chiller for $50 but other brewers could build one with parts that cost $39 .. most will buy the parts and build it themselves.  So in some cases, the really complex brewing systems aren't necessary but that particular brewer gets a lot of mileage out of it because he likes to tinker.  The recipe and the process needs to be solid and the ingredients need to be fresh.  Fermentation schedules need to be followed, etc.  More complex systems may make it easier to do some things which is always good but rarely necessary. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2023, 07:42:12 am »
Awesome responses.  Thanks all.  It was just kinda an observation that I made as I was watching these vids.  There seems to be a wide range of brewers, but if the beer is good to you, then it is all good. I enjoy the time spend making it, I enjoy the time spent drinking it, and my friends seem to enjoy it as well. All good stuff, thanks for the input.  Any and all input is welcome to further the discussion. 

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2023, 07:55:09 am »
A solid recipe, quality ingredients and good process are the keys to making great beer. You can spend all you want on fancy equipment but, without these key components, your beer won't be great.

That said, different people have different reasons for the equipment choices they make. I went to an electric all-in-one system to avoid weather extremes here in the high desert. These old bones can't take the cold anymore and very little effort leaves me short of breath, especially when it's hot. Now I brew in the comfort of our kitchen. I've also gotten to the point that I have trouble lifting full kegs into my keezer so went with a pressure capable fermenter to facilitate pressure transfers. Neither are fancy nor expensive, but both get the job done a lot more painlessly.

While there are folks who have a thing for bling. If that's what floats their boats and it fits their budgets, more power to them. Can they make great beer? Yes, but the keys are the same as they are with the simplest setups.  

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Just sitting here watching Youtube Vids and it got me wondering
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2023, 07:55:47 am »
I think there is correlation of *some* equipment to better beer while other pieces of equipment fall into the nice to have category.

An example of two pieces of equipment that I believe helps me make better beer is a very specific length thermowell I installed on my fermenter lid coupled with the temp controller I use to power my fermentation fridge. These pieces allow me to control the liquid temp +/- 2°F of the set point which I think makes better beer.  I don’t recall what I paid for these items but I imagine they would be considered overpriced to an outsider.

An example of nice to have would be a power switch I paid north of $150 for. At first glance the price seems high for a simple switch. However, it keeps me from moving the dryer, unplugging it, plugging in my induction cooktop, moving the dryer back, brewing, moving the dryer, unplugging the induction cooktop, plugging in the dryer, and moving the dryer back. Even though it’s overpriced, it’s worth every penny to me.

In every hobby there are the maximalists that have all the latest and greatest equipment and there are the minimalists who pride themselves on operating at a high level on a shoestring.  There’s room for both — whatever floats their boat.

I can only speak for myself. In most things, I am motivated by ease of use and cleanup. I have a low PITA tolerance so I’ll spend money to make life easier. I’ll spring for a technology or piece of hardware to solve a problem but once those problems are solved I get content with what I have.  This creates a sort of evolutionary process where I use equipment for a while and realize there’s an easier way. I’ve used the same kettle, mash tun, fermenter, kegs, etc for years, but some equipment has been set aside as a new solution is adopted (e.g. I moved from RIMS to HERMS).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 04:05:22 am by BrewBama »

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2023, 09:01:15 am »
The Jul/Aug Zymurgy has an article about a triangle test between a recipe brewed on very basic equipment and on an all-in-one setup. 9 of the 19 tasters rated the basic equipment batch equal to or better than the batch brewed on the fancy rig.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2023, 09:06:43 am »
Why do you think we wrote Simple Homebrewing? It's not a beginner's book as the title might imply. It's for advanced brewers to help them concentrate on what really matters.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2023, 12:14:47 pm »
We've all seen some setups that are VERY complex and expensive.  Lots of stainless, lots of expensive plumbing, screens all over the place monitoring various things, etc.  My guess is the brewer has an interest in having their equipment look as though it's in a commercial brewery.  Maybe they think it looks impressive to the outsider.  Maybe even intimidating.  Nothing necessarily wrong with that but I generally brew alone .. no one is around to see how the beer is made.  What matters to me is the beer itself and the people with me when I'm drinking it.  I invested the money in the "pub" area of my house because that's where the people are and where the beer-drinking is.  Believe me, if I found my beer to be disappointing and the only way to fix it was with a sophisticated piece of equipment, I would be looking into it. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2023, 12:38:29 pm »
I have a pretty tricked out setup. It doesn't make better beer than my old cooler and converted  keg setup, but it does make brewing easier and therefore more enjoyable.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2023, 12:41:45 pm »
There is a balance between cost, ease of use, space, utility and the types of beers you brew. I don't think you need a fancy system to brew but I can understand why some people want them or find utility in them--especially when they brew large batches.

Some techniques can produce better beer but don't necessarily require expensive equipment. I believe there can be benefits to fermenting under pressure and moving beer with minimal oxygen exposure but that can be done with easy modifications to corny kegs as well as much more expensive systems.

Some processes are difficult on expensive equipment that isn't designed for those purposes. Like trying to turbid mash on many of the big expensive homebrew systems--or even the cheaper all in one systems--is unwieldy at best.

As long as your equipment functions the way it is supposed to for the kind of beers you brew, IMO you'll get better mileage and brew better beer learning how to excel on the equipment you have than constantly upgrading looking for the perfect equipment.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing