Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Alternatives to Köln dry yeast?  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Alternatives to Köln dry yeast?
« on: September 26, 2023, 10:07:54 am »
I just learned that Lallemand is discontinuing the Köln strain - https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/product-details/lalbrew-koln-kolsch-style-ale-yeast/ - ...that's a serious bummer, because I really really like it for my German ales. I find SafAle's K-97 works OK, but in my experience it takes much longer to drop clear.

There is of course K-97, but does anyone have personal comparisons with other dry German ale strains? How about the Cellar Science "KÖLSCH" yeast? Is that a repackage of K-97, or is it something different? I don't really see any other options available for homebrewers.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 12:09:55 pm by Andy Farke »
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 10:28:30 am »
I am a dry yeast brewer and even though it’s not dry, but I recently used Dieter from Imperial. I was totally impressed. It fermented fast, dropped clear fast, and made a wonderful Kölsch with that slight hint of fruitiness that I associate with the style. I don’t brew a lot of Kölsch but when I do, I’ll use Dieter.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: Alternatives to Köln dry yeast?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 11:31:30 am »
I am a dry yeast brewer and even though it’s not dry, but I recently used Dieter from Imperial. I was totally impressed. It fermented fast, dropped clear fast, and made a wonderful Kölsch with that slight hint of fruitiness that I associate with the style. I don’t brew a lot of Kölsch but when I do, I’ll use Dieter.

Cool -- thank you for the recommendation! My LHBS usually has a pretty good selection of Imperial, so I might check out Dieter.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 11:34:01 am »
They're discontinuing Koln? WTF! That makes me angry as it has become one of my favorites. There is no dry alternative that I am aware of. K97 is garbage in my opinion
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 11:35:46 am »
I just learned that Lallemand is discontinuing the Köln strain (https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/product-details/lalbrew-koln-kolsch-style-ale-yeast/)...that's a serious bummer, because I really really like it for my German ales.

Noooooooooooooo!!!  :'(  I love Lalbrew Köln!   Dadgummit, now i need to go buy up a half dozen packets to hoard. 

I agree, that is a serious bummer.  It's my second-favorite dry yeast (after Verdant).   >:(

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 12:25:59 pm »
I just learned that Lallemand is discontinuing the Köln strain - https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/product-details/lalbrew-koln-kolsch-style-ale-yeast/ - ...that's a serious bummer, because I really really like it for my German ales. I find SafAle's K-97 works OK, but in my experience it takes much longer to drop clear.

There is of course K-97, but does anyone have personal comparisons with other dry German ale strains? How about the Cellar Science "KÖLSCH" yeast? Is that a repackage of K-97, or is it something different? I don't really see any other options available for homebrewers.

Are you looking to make kolsch or alt? IMO, they need distinctly different yeasts. For kolsch, nothing beats WY2565 IMO. The wines fruitiness give me what I expect from kolsch. For alt, all I look for is something very clean that ferments well at low temps (52-55F). Of course, WY1007 is a main choice, but I've also made award winning alt with 1056 and 1728. I realize none of those are dry.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 02:11:44 pm »
Are you looking to make kolsch or alt? IMO, they need distinctly different yeasts. For kolsch, nothing beats WY2565 IMO. The wines fruitiness give me what I expect from kolsch. For alt, all I look for is something very clean that ferments well at low temps (52-55F). Of course, WY1007 is a main choice, but I've also made award winning alt with 1056 and 1728. I realize none of those are dry.

The answer is "yes" in terms of kölsch or alt. I have found K-97 works pretty well for alt (but isn't as much to my preference for kölsch...maybe I'll have to give it another go). I currently have on tap a tasty altbier made with Köln. Temperature management helps a ton. Wyeast is harder for me to get local, and I tilt towards White Labs or Imperial based on what my LHBS has. We all have different tastes, of course!

And yes, my strong preference is to find another workable dry strain. Liquid is great, but the convenience and ever-increasing quality+variety of dry yeast is hard to beat for my brewing habits.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 03:38:33 pm »

The answer is "yes" in terms of kölsch or alt. I have found K-97 works pretty well for alt (but isn't as much to my preference for kölsch...maybe I'll have to give it another go). I currently have on tap a tasty altbier made with Köln. Temperature management helps a ton. Wyeast is harder for me to get local, and I tilt towards White Labs or Imperial based on what my LHBS has. We all have different tastes, of course!

And yes, my strong preference is to find another workable dry strain. Liquid is great, but the convenience and ever-increasing quality+variety of dry yeast is hard to beat for my brewing habits.

Maybe it's just my taste preferences, but I can't imagine using the same yeast for kolsch and alt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 04:01:17 pm »
Maybe it's just my taste preferences, but I can't imagine using the same yeast for kolsch and alt.

Totally fair! I'm just full of chaos when it comes to my yeast choices!  ;D

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2023, 04:14:45 pm »
I think you should try the Cellar Science Kolsch yeast. There was a thread a year or so ago that seemed to conclude most cellar science yeasts were not repackaged Lallemand or Fermentis. Most were AEB I think.

This one (and the CellarScience sku) is Alt and Kolsch- so that might be K-97 which is not what you want.
https://www.aeb-group.com/us/fermoale-german-k-15501/fermoale-german-k-05kg_703
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 04:17:38 pm by tommymorris »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2023, 09:31:29 am »

Cool -- thank you for the recommendation! My LHBS usually has a pretty good selection of Imperial, so I might check out Dieter.
I like Dieter as well. I stopped using it when Koln was released. In my opinion Dieter is very similar to WLP029 in character

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2023, 09:37:35 am »
I'd bet WLP080 "Cream Ale" blend would make a great Kolsch.  It makes a killer Cream Ale, that's for certain.

Offline House Of Ales

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2023, 05:18:56 pm »
That’s sad news. Lallemand is the only yeast I use.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2023, 05:45:59 pm »
Very sad. I guess it didn’t catch on which surprises me for how good it is

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2023, 07:15:57 pm »

i haven't used mangrove jack in forever, and it isnt available here. the only other big variety option is fermentis products, and while i sorta-like certain ones of theirs i could say in general i like a number of lallemand products a lot, whereas fermentis ones when i try have been really mixed in results with only S-189 being one i unreservedly liked a lot.
im seeing two white labs dry yeast products now though - wlp001 and wlp066 - but they are $13.99 for dry yeast - it seems demented to me when most dry yeast is in the $4 to $8 range

Very sad. I guess it didn’t catch on which surprises me for how good it is

it had that supposed pitch rate issue. also they chose to cancel it, so maybe it had higher costs or production issues?