Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Label Making  (Read 1681 times)

Offline YorkshireBrewer

• 1st Kit
Label Making
« on: September 02, 2023, 03:33:24 pm »

Hey,

I am curious what everyone uses for labels for their bottles?

I am looking to design some fun labels and then give the beers to friends and family

Thanks

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Label Making
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 04:11:18 pm »
I use FastLabel shrink-wrap sleeves. I print the labels on plain paper, 3 to a page.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/fastlabel-beer-label-sleeves-12-oz.html
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2023, 08:45:33 pm »
I use Beer Labelizer https://www.beerlabelizer.com and Grog Tag https://www.grogtag.com
Na zdrowie!

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 11:37:38 am »
I use Canva and print on cheap mailing labels. A little matte sealant keeps them water-resistant enough for my purposes.

When I settle into some consistent repeat recipes, I'll get some nice labels with a blank spot for batch # from GrogTags or somewhere like that.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 11:41:33 am »
I use Microsoft Publisher.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 04:55:17 am »
Now that there is green painter’s tape there are two choices out there, blue painter’s tape or green. Don’t use masking tape. It’s harder to get off.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 02:08:14 pm »
Usually I just write an abbreviation in sharpie on the cap. In the rare circumstance where I cork and it's hard to write on the cage, I use painters tape or masking tape and scribble on an abbreviation. I am too lazy about delabeling bottles these days and many of my bottles have screen prints or labels. I don't mind bottling as much as a lot of homebrewers but delabeling bottles is my very least favorite part of the hobby.

I have an old desktop card printer from the 1930s (I think) that rolls out postcard sized prints that I've always wanted to use to make a handful of labels and then handwrite batch info on them. I haven't quite figured out how to generate stencils for it or the right kind of ink. Figuring that out has been as much a priority as delabeling bottles.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 06:01:07 pm »
One of the reasons I like the shrink-wrap sleeves is that there is no adhesive, so taking off the labels is trivial. If I need to take labels off of commercial bottles I have found that soaking them in PBW or Craftmeister for an hour makes the labels just float off, except for vinyl labels which are almost impossible to remove. I don't even try with those.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 09:02:36 am »
One of the reasons I like the shrink-wrap sleeves is that there is no adhesive, so taking off the labels is trivial. If I need to take labels off of commercial bottles I have found that soaking them in PBW or Craftmeister for an hour makes the labels just float off, except for vinyl labels which are almost impossible to remove. I don't even try with those.

I do just that.  After a cleaning day, I take the bottles that need labels taken off and put them in the tub.  I have found that Bear Republic and Firestone Walker labels just float off after an overnight soak.  Russian River and some of the others are a pain so I stopped trying  LOL. 

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2023, 10:05:00 am »
... except for vinyl labels which are almost impossible to remove. I don't even try with those.

Vinyl labels can be peeled off and then Goo-Gone will take off the glue residue.

The really evil labels are the direct-print labels like 3 Fonteinen uses.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2023, 12:05:03 pm »
Like an earlier post, I also use 3/4 inch circular labels on bottle caps. Remove the cap and you remove the label.

I use their template and design the label that includes the name of "my brewery", the name of the beer, an illustration, the style, and the ABV.

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2023, 12:05:29 pm »
Like an earlier post, I also use 3/4 inch circular labels on bottle caps. Remove the cap and you remove the label.

I use their template and design the label that includes the name of "my brewery", the name of the beer, an illustration, the style, and the ABV.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2023, 07:56:03 pm »
does anyone have any thoughts on EXTREMELY easy-to-remove labels?

Im really not a label guy, but i was just thinking right now how it might be fun to have some, if they were as easily removable as say german or belgian labels are from glass bottles. ie. just warm water for 10 seconds and they slide off, no glue residue.

anyone?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2023, 09:47:00 pm »
The shrink-wrap sleeves are very easy to remove. There is no adhesive. You just tear the plastic off and the paper label falls out.

You can also get dissolvable labels. Search Amazon for "dissolvable labels". The ones I have used basically disappear when they get wet. Perhaps not so good for beer bottles that can sweat, but very easy to remove.

Offline Skeeter686

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2023, 02:46:11 pm »
does anyone have any thoughts on EXTREMELY easy-to-remove labels?

I use this recipe when I do labels, which isn't very often these days.  I use a laser printer to print the labels, paint some of this glue on, and the labels stick well.  Dunk the bottles in hot water and the labels slide off after a minute or two.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/esky-ice-water-proof-labels.224476/

Basic Waterproof Glue

* 6 tbsp water
* 2 packets unflavored gelatin (1/2 oz.)
* 2 tbsp white vinegar
* 2 tsp glycerine

Bring water to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in gelatin until it is dissolved. Add vinegar and glycerin and stir well. Let the mixture cool slightly and pour into a jar and seal tightly. To Use: This glue is best applied while warm. Apply to surfaces using a brush. Glue will gel after a few days. To re-use, warm by placing the jar in a pan of hot water.