52 to 62
14 (29.8%)
63 to 73
16 (34%)
74 +
3 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: July 05, 2023, 08:17:10 am

Author Topic: Mother's Little Helper  (Read 3506 times)

Fire Rooster

Re: Mother's Little Helper
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2023, 04:14:21 am »
"Kids are different these days...She goes running to the shelter of her mother's little helper."

The Glimmer Twins -'66

I was a big concert goer for many years.  My first concert was 1972 when Ted Nugent was opening for Aerosmith touring their first album.

My band opened for Nugent in around 68ish.

Oh I forgot. About 25 years ago I took my daughter to see her first concert
Ted Nugent was opening for Kiss.  We had a floor seat close to the front.
My ears were ringing for weeks afterwards, at that moment I said to myself
I'm too old for this very loud music.  She wasn't phased by it at all, and shocked
by her reaction.  I thought she was going to jump up on stage  :o

Cheers
I think I saw that same tour.  Kiss, Skid Row and Ted "Uncle Ted" Nugent.  Great show.

I've seen Kiss probably three times, always a good show.  When you have gifted writers, musicians, and singers, no costumes, ,elaborate stage & sound effects, or lasers are needed.  Although we have our own preferred music styles, and tastes, I would place the Beatles, Eagles, and Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet band to start that list.

Winter of 76-77 I saw Blue Oyster Cult and Bob Seger opened for them, and stole the show. It sounded better than the album, raw sound and talent.  I had a third row seat, back when general admission was common.  I've enjoyed listening to several Artists albums, but when I saw them in person it was a big let down due to the extreme studio editing to make them desirable.  Some songs were almost unrecognizable in person, if not for the lyrics and beat.

Cheers

Completely agree.  I was a huge Van Halen fan.  Still am.  Saw them on the Fair Warning tour and it was incrdible.  Eddie's guitar was so raw and huge and DLR just stole the show as a front man.  Musically, he wasn't great, but all in all, to see Eddie in person was amazing.  A few years later I got a chance to meet him.  A humble and very soft spoken guy who was almost uncomfortable in the meet and greet arena.  He did not have his guitar on him, so maybe he felt a bit out of place.  LOL.  Also, on the flip side, Huey Lewis and the News was horrible.  I could have sat home and listened to the album and done the same thing   No stage presence at all.  Chicago was one of those bands that was tight and sounded awesome.

Don’t recall exact month/year but around 1985-1987 I lived in a 2 story apartment complex.
There was one door the bottom and upper floor tenants shared for entry, I lived there for a year on the bottom floor.

One day I parked in a parking spot that was in front of the apartment with my orange 1979 Datsun 210.  Before I could get out of the car a brand new Mercedes Benz pulled into the spot next to me on the vehicles right.  Got out of the car and immediately went to the passenger side door to get something just bought.  The passenger door was about to be opened when a young man sprung out of his car, and there we stood almost toe to toe startled by each other.  We stared at each other for a few moments not saying a word.  I thought to myself who is this young long haired guy driving his daddy’s car.   I went about my business, and he grabbed a few big boxes and opened my apartment door leading to the apartment above me.  It was learned later that he was delivering items with something to do with the wedding of his brother, whose future sister-in-law lived above me.

A little while later I went to get something from my trunk.  He was outside at the time with all these very young girls around him as if he was Santa Claus.  When my girlfriend got home from work I mentioned what had happened.  She called a few girlfriends of hers who lived in the same apartment complex to find out what was going on.  She asked have you heard of the song Runaway, that was Bon Jovi.

You can't judge a book by its cover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM_VNSARb9Y

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 05:07:10 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2023, 10:47:15 am »
A humble and very soft spoken guy who was almost uncomfortable in the meet and greet arena.  He did not have his guitar on him, so maybe he felt a bit out of place.  LOL.  Also, on the flip side, Huey Lewis and the News was horrible.  I could have sat home and listened to the album and done the same thing   No stage presence at all.

I live right around the corner from the original Van Halen house here in Pasadena. Even fussy, stuffy old blue blood Pasadenans loved him and the band and continue to think back fondly when they'd play proms and backyard keggers here in town. That little house still has stuff appearing outside on the fence.

And oddly, Huey Lewis was one of the best damn shows I've ever seen. When they played here, they looked, sounded and played like the hardest working, most polished bar band you've ever seen.

Favorite show of recent vintage was seeing Chris Isaak, but that might be in part because he called my wife up on stage and serenaded her. He could have stolen her right then and there and I'm not even sure I could have been mad about it. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2023, 07:04:19 am »
A humble and very soft spoken guy who was almost uncomfortable in the meet and greet arena.  He did not have his guitar on him, so maybe he felt a bit out of place.  LOL.  Also, on the flip side, Huey Lewis and the News was horrible.  I could have sat home and listened to the album and done the same thing   No stage presence at all.

I live right around the corner from the original Van Halen house here in Pasadena. Even fussy, stuffy old blue blood Pasadenans loved him and the band and continue to think back fondly when they'd play proms and backyard keggers here in town. That little house still has stuff appearing outside on the fence.

And oddly, Huey Lewis was one of the best damn shows I've ever seen. When they played here, they looked, sounded and played like the hardest working, most polished bar band you've ever seen.

Favorite show of recent vintage was seeing Chris Isaak, but that might be in part because he called my wife up on stage and serenaded her. He could have stolen her right then and there and I'm not even sure I could have been mad about it. :)

I think that is why I did not like them very much.  I like it when the live shows go off the rails a bit and try something different.  Or at least sound different.  LOL.  Having seen Van Halen pretty much each year from Fair Warning on, I can say DLR was, in my opinion, the best front man of the time.  Sure, he was loaded most of the time, and sure he forgot words (I honestly think that was just a play to get people fired up), but to me a live show is best when it has that little bit of unpredictability and does not sound like the album (remember those) that I could buy and listen to.  Another show I thought was boring as all hell was AC/DC.  Two hours of Angus Young with the rest of the band sitting in the background did nothing for me.  I dig AC/DC but I did not want to spend two hours just watching him.  Like I said, when you went to a Van Halen show, to me, you never knew what you were going to get, they would break into a medley of songs, Beer Drinker and Hell Raisers by ZZ Top was a fave of mine with Michael Anthony on Vocs, or DLR would just give you a hell of a good time.  I always walked out of there happy and felt like I saw one of the best live acts of it's time.  Just one man's humble opinion.  Rock On!!!!!!!!!

Not a great recording, but here you go, I bring you, the Mighty VAN HALEN!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXtEUgs89qQ
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 07:06:08 am by redrocker652002 »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2023, 08:24:07 am »
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 10:48:31 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2023, 11:16:26 am »
I think that is why I did not like them very much.  I like it when the live shows go off the rails a bit and try something different.  Or at least sound different. 

...me a live show is best when it has that little bit of unpredictability and does not sound like the album (remember those) that I could buy and listen to. 

See and I thought HL&TN sounded polished, but it was still good greasy live music, but yes, Huey wasn't about to stage dive at any point.

The absolutely worst offender for "the concert sounds like the album" that I ever saw was Pink Floyd in old Foxboro stadium. Through the haze of the marijuana smoke, I turned to one of my friends and said "it's like we just fired up the CD player back in the dorm room". It was an impressive show from a music and technical performance aspect, but still felt very distant and cold. (shocker, for PF, I know)
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2023, 04:59:23 pm »
I think that is why I did not like them very much.  I like it when the live shows go off the rails a bit and try something different.  Or at least sound different. 

...me a live show is best when it has that little bit of unpredictability and does not sound like the album (remember those) that I could buy and listen to. 

See and I thought HL&TN sounded polished, but it was still good greasy live music, but yes, Huey wasn't about to stage dive at any point.

The absolutely worst offender for "the concert sounds like the album" that I ever saw was Pink Floyd in old Foxboro stadium. Through the haze of the marijuana smoke, I turned to one of my friends and said "it's like we just fired up the CD player back in the dorm room". It was an impressive show from a music and technical performance aspect, but still felt very distant and cold. (shocker, for PF, I know)
Division Bell tour by any chance? That's when I saw them in Foxboro. Yes, it wasn't the most energetic show I've seen, but it's Floyd and that's not needed.

Most sterile sounding show I've seen definitely has to be ZZ Top. Gave them a second chance a few years after the first show. We left with half an hour left to beat traffic because we knew weren't going to miss much.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2023, 08:31:20 pm »
Division Bell tour by any chance? That's when I saw them in Foxboro. Yes, it wasn't the most energetic show I've seen, but it's Floyd and that's not needed.

Ding! And I agree about the energy not being the most important, but damned if I didn't think in my mind that my chair at home was more comfortable and the pot/beer cheaper.

(ETA: Also this is like finding out that my wife and I were both at the same Debbie Gibson concert at Sea World when we were younger. What? Debbie Gibson was cute and awesomely poppy!)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 08:40:20 pm by dbeechum »
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Fire Rooster

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2023, 02:13:38 am »
I've discovered with time, the best concerts are in small theaters right before the band makes it big.
The best seats would be right in front of the sound engineers on the floor, if they had them.
Large stadiums and outside concerts can be fun, but not the best for sound, and after time bands are burned out.
When new songs are learned I try to master them, and when I get tired of playing/hearing them something new is learned.
Sometimes the wife will chime in, please, please, learn something new, you play that over and over and over  ::)
I have no idea what songs I knew 5 years ago.  Playing the same thing over and over for a long time must be tiresome.

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 04:28:04 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2023, 10:06:41 am »
I have seen so many shows in the last 50 years I couldn't count them. Wasn't uncommon to see 4-5 a week.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 10:25:15 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2023, 05:20:24 am »
With every brew mistake, we must surely be learning.
Guitar player to the right of Tom Petty is George Harrison's son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MC6s9HHonU

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 05:23:21 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2023, 01:37:47 pm »

Ding! And I agree about the energy not being the most important, but damned if I didn't think in my mind that my chair at home was more comfortable and the pot/beer cheaper.

(ETA: Also this is like finding out that my wife and I were both at the same Debbie Gibson concert at Sea World when we were younger. What? Debbie Gibson was cute and awesomely poppy!)

That's funny.  I took my daughter to see Hillary Duff years ago because she said "Daddy please".  Totally canned and not live, but damn the soccer moms there were hottttt.  LOL. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2023, 01:39:09 pm »
With every brew mistake, we must surely be learning.
Guitar player to the right of Tom Petty is George Harrison's son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MC6s9HHonU

Cheers

Prince absolutely KILLED it.  I was never a huge fan, but damn if that guy played a mean guitar. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2023, 01:40:31 pm »

Most sterile sounding show I've seen definitely has to be ZZ Top. Gave them a second chance a few years after the first show. We left with half an hour left to beat traffic because we knew weren't going to miss much.

I have heard the same thing.  Never much into ZZ Top.  Would have rather seen SRV when he was alive. 

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2023, 01:48:34 pm »

I have heard the same thing.  Never much into ZZ Top.  Would have rather seen SRV when he was alive.

im one of the under 40s but ive seen black sabbath a few times, motorhead, judas priest, deep purple, ted nugent, etc etc as well as the majority of big name 80s thrash bands, punk then lots of death metal and some black metal you likely havent heard of.

it is really interesting to see bands that blow away your expectations as well as bands that i loved in recorded format but were awful or annoying in concert. i saw judas priest when they were in their mid 60s around 2009. obviously expectations were high but they still blew them the hell away, tons of encore songs and banter. it was amazing and unforgettable. megadeth is disappointing in concert lol i saw that so many times as a co-headliner i stopped caring at all. gwar was one of the top 3 concerts. i remember children of bodom exceeding my moderate expectations a lot, alexi laiho was a true musician. lol probably a lot more but those come to mind.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2023, 07:56:12 pm »

My BiL in south TX has friends who talked about going up to Victoria TX for the weekend to see a bar band not many had heard of around 70-71 or so. They said they, ZZ Top, were the best Band they had seen back then.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!