Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water profile for Dunkelweizen  (Read 967 times)

Offline erikn68

• 1st Kit
Water profile for Dunkelweizen
« on: May 30, 2023, 10:16:03 am »
 am doing a Dunkelweizen this weekend. I am trying to find the Dunkelweizen water profile for Munich. I can only find for dark lagers. Anyone have a link to where I can find it.

Here is my current water profile. It is a mix of my carbon filtered and RO Water at 25/75 on percentages.

Ca 30.7
Magnesium 14
Sodium 11
Chloride 26
Sulfate 4
Biocarbonate 112
Ph 7.6

Thanks

Erik
Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's!!!!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Water profile for Dunkelweizen
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 10:33:32 am »
as far as chlorides and sulfates go, your water seems soft and perfect for a dunkelweizen as is. Bicarb is a bit high so you'll probably need to adjust PH down. Aside from that I wouildnt change anything.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 10:54:26 am »
am doing a Dunkelweizen this weekend. I am trying to find the Dunkelweizen water profile for Munich. I can only find for dark lagers. Anyone have a link to where I can find it.

Here is my current water profile. It is a mix of my carbon filtered and RO Water at 25/75 on percentages.

Ca 30.7
Magnesium 14
Sodium 11
Chloride 26
Sulfate 4
Biocarbonate 112
Ph 7.6

Thanks

Erik

Don't use a city profile, like Munich. You have no idea if that's even the water they use, let alone if they filter or treat it. Adjust by color and flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 11:33:24 am »
That's pretty good water for a Dunkelweizen.
Add a bit of calcium chloride to get to 50-60 ppm of Ca.
Adjust pH to 5.6 to 5.7 during ferulic acid rest, then lower pH to 5.4 for beta and alpha rests.

Note that depending on the dark malts you use, you may not need to use acid to get to the ferulic rest.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 02:24:13 pm »
i was.listening to a white.labs podcast on hefeweizens and it was mentiones that one award winning brewery in san diego uses RO water and thrn a small.amount of just CaCO3 keeping sulfate and sodium and other mineralslevels at actual zero or near zero. he also apparently.aims for high single digit ibus.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 10:27:03 am by fredthecat »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 09:44:52 am »
Your tap water is reasonably similar to Munich water and that is the what I use for Bavarian styles.  The water stays in the background and allows the malt to come through. It would be wise to add a bit of some calcium salts to the mashing water to bring the calcium concentration to at least 40 ppm for oxalate reduction.  I see that the sulfate content is very low and a little bit of gypsum in the mash would not hurt this brew.

As mentioned, your water's alkalinity is too high for good mashing and sparging performance. So plan on acidifying both to enhance the water's brewing performance. I highly recommend lactic acid or saurergut use to reproduce the flavor profile that is likely present in Bavarian beers.  The amount of acidification should be well below the level at which most drinkers would pick up on lactate, so don't worry about using lactic acid.  It's most appropriate for this style.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 10:29:03 am »
The Munich Breweries have deep wells from what I have read. Giesinger is a newish brewery in Munich. They built a production facility, and have a goal of serving at Oktoberfest. To do that they have to have the production volume, and brew with water sourced in Munich proper. The tap water comes from a suburb east of Munich, so not allowed for Oktoberfest. Those Germans and their rules!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!