Malt Extract
1 (1.7%)
Partial Mash
0 (0%)
All Grain
57 (98.3%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: June 13, 2023, 04:51:38 am

Author Topic: Three Brewing Methods  (Read 3429 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Three Brewing Methods
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2023, 11:20:02 am »
DME LME and steeping grains were my approach until briefly all grain fly sparging…then I found Dennybrew and batch sparging and finally brew in a bag/single vessel.  Evolution of homebrew - it doesn’t mean we have to fully abandon the old ways.  I batch sparge more frequently now than ever.

I continue to batch sparge in my G40....old and new
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2023, 05:04:52 am »
meanwhile, over at HomeBrewTalk:

Wait - you won the contest with an extract no boil beer!?!

[1] the recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/blasphemy-no-boil-neipa.660389/page-8#post-10212177

[2] the ribbon: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/blasphemy-no-boil-neipa.660389/page-8#post-10227388

There's more, as the recipe was scaled up and released commercially.

Thanks.
My thoughts, barely bring to boil, turn off heat, toss in hops along the way as it's naturally cooling down.
In about 2 weeks an early taste will determine where my DME adventures go.

Cheers
Basic Brewing Radio did something similar with their "hop sampler" series; but they were working with 3/4 gal wort and in 1 gal carboys.  When I tried it, the time from boiling to about 175 was probably in the 10 min range. 

With larger batches, natural cooling to 175 will likely take longer - and 'boil off' more of the hop oils.

quote -"alpha acids isomerize at temperatures above 175 °F"

I had thought of that for calculating IBU.
A SS stock pot with an aluminum encapsulated bottom is used, thick and heavy bottom.
It heats the bottom evenly quote - " Aluminum dissipates heat 15x better than
stainless, spreading it faster and more freely, this reduces hot spots"
Helps prevent scorching, but not sure how long this pot would take to hit 175, which I guess would
need to be known to calculate IBU.  I wouldn't let it cool down all the way, just enough
to get hop utilization, but also cooled enough so when chilled water is added it's within yeast
pitching temps.

Cheers

It may take a number of attempts to "dial in" a process (and a couple of additional attempts to confirm the process).  Add "room temperature" to your brew day notes as room temperature may have some impact on the cool down rate. 

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2023, 06:22:57 am »
noboil NEIPA?

lol enjoy exploding bottles or kegs unless you estimate FG and carbonation VERY carefully.
As noted in the topic, with the "no boil" NEIPA process, the wort is pasteurized as part of the process. 

I've done it a number of times over the last 3 or 4 years.  No bombs, no gushers, no worries.

It was the classic way to brew in the old days.

I'm going to guess that you are referring to brewing raw ales. 

====================================================
moving to a more general context

The recent 'no boil' NEIPA process is essentially a hop steep, DME, flavor salt additions, and a hazy friendly yeast strain.  And for the award winning recipes, the brewer is contributing deep knowledge in hop selection, fermentation temperature control, and packaging.

Is this one of the the brewing processes that could be considered "advanced extract brewing"?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2023, 07:24:40 am »

The recent 'no boil' NEIPA process is essentially a hop steep, DME, flavor salt additions, and a hazy friendly yeast strain.  And for the award winning recipes, the brewer is contributing deep knowledge in hop selection, fermentation temperature control, and packaging.

Is this one of the the brewing processes that could be considered "advanced extract brewing"?
Tangent alert

IMHO, NEIPAs do not require "deep knowledge in hop selection". Varietal flavor and aroma profiles are pretty much completely washed out at the hopping levels in the style. Saturated hop oil character tastes and smells pretty much the same past a certain point, regardless of whether you used Mosaic, Galaxy, Citra or any other oil-heavy hop to get there.

Now hop format (pellet vs lupulin hop vs various extracts) certainly makes a difference, but nuance in vatietal character is lost beyond a certain hopping rate.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2023, 08:36:39 am »
noboil NEIPA?

lol enjoy exploding bottles or kegs unless you estimate FG and carbonation VERY carefully.
As noted in the topic, with the "no boil" NEIPA process, the wort is pasteurized as part of the process. 

I've done it a number of times over the last 3 or 4 years.  No bombs, no gushers, no worries.

I'm referring to hopped liquid extract, which was the standard 30 years ago.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2023, 11:36:54 am »
noboil NEIPA?

Things I learned today: Hopped extract LME was (is?) a product. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 11:38:56 am by BrewnWKopperKat »

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2023, 11:48:56 am »

Oh yeah, particularly with the old "kit and kilo" style kits since the idea behind those was to make the process as rock stupid simple as possible. (See John Bull as an example).

It's never been as common, at least here in the States, to find bulk pre-hopped LME, but those kits were all over the place back before there were more ingredients available.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2023, 12:08:32 pm »
noboil NEIPA?

For a long time, it was the standard way to homebrew

www.dennybrew.com

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2023, 12:31:04 pm »
noboil NEIPA?

For a long time, it was the standard way to homebrew
I used some of those in the early 90's. Since I had been drinking only American macro beer, the homebrew seemed really tasty.

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2023, 02:20:23 pm »

Tangent alert

IMHO, NEIPAs do not require "deep knowledge in hop selection". Varietal flavor and aroma profiles are pretty much completely washed out at the hopping levels in the style. Saturated hop oil character tastes and smells pretty much the same past a certain point, regardless of whether you used Mosaic, Galaxy, Citra or any other oil-heavy hop to get there.

Now hop format (pellet vs lupulin hop vs various extracts) certainly makes a difference, but nuance in vatietal character is lost beyond a certain hopping rate.
I see you point - and agree with it.  Thanks!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2023, 03:58:11 pm »

Tangent alert

im just completely with you on that. but also, i experience hop burn really badly and without sounding like a wimp felt like i damaged my throat/tongue one night in toronto at a trendy craft bar. barf, that was what really put me off them in all their iterations - DDHIPA/NEIPA/HazyIPA etc

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2023, 11:11:03 am »
If I were to revert back to brewing with malt extract, my chickens would be severely pissed off.