Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All grain recipe request. Stroh's 1970's recipe  (Read 2378 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
All grain recipe request. Stroh's 1970's recipe
« on: May 12, 2023, 03:16:50 pm »
Anyone?

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Re: All grain recipe request. Stroh's 1970's recipe
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 08:14:54 am »
I'm asking again as I didn't receive a definate answer about the Strohs recipe to my original query in the link provided. The link discussion turned into a Schlitz discussion.

Also, final post "I contacted Jason at AiH. He said the the online recipe is what the put together for a customer. He's not sure how accurate that is."

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 10:58:05 am »
im not being dismissive, but truly wonder what flavour elements/profile you want from 1970s strohs?

did you taste it or are you trying to recreate what i believe people described to be one of the better north american industrial lagers?

I would start breaking down what flavours you expect/want -ie. corn, what esters, level of "cleanness", maltiness, bitterness level

and you can start to approximate the to be fair, likely imagined or at best distorted by time, flavour of a 1970s mainstream lager.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 02:16:13 pm »
I believe BYO had an issue like ten or so years ago with several older American lager recipes. Stroh's might be in there but might not be a 1970s recipe. You can order back issues but maybe somebody locally has a copy you could look at.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 02:05:42 pm »
Yes, I recall drinking Stroh's in the 70's. Unfortunately, at that time I wasn't a homebrewer. This means I had no way to critically analyze the Stroh's. Too many years have passed since then to accurately recall and reforumlate a clone recipe.

The current Stroh's isn't, to me, the same as the 1970's version.

I have all BYO issues. I haven't found a recipe for Stroh's.

I find photos of the classic Stroh's cans and boxes online. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any specs on cans, bottles, boxes, cases to help me.

Appreciate any input on this matter as long as we stay on topic this time.

Thanks.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 05:50:23 pm »
Yes, I recall drinking Stroh's in the 70's. Unfortunately, at that time I wasn't a homebrewer. This means I had no way to critically analyze the Stroh's. Too many years have passed since then to accurately recall and reforumlate a clone recipe.

The current Stroh's isn't, to me, the same as the 1970's version.

I have all BYO issues. I haven't found a recipe for Stroh's.

I find photos of the classic Stroh's cans and boxes online. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any specs on cans, bottles, boxes, cases to help me.

Appreciate any input on this matter as long as we stay on topic this time.

Thanks.

just cutting to the heart of this tbh.

i know that some mega lager brands had relatively superior products from the 1950s to even 80s or 90s, but i believe you would find that their grists would be varying, but not greatly, ratios of 6-row, 2-row malts and various types of corn and rice all done with various lager yeasts. to be fair canada's mega brews had versions of this but with ale yeasts (molson export/labatt 50) and theyre still bleh industrial garbage barely distinguishable from any industrial lager.

sorry, but you are chasing an image of a time in your life. so IMHO, take a grist that sounds good for a CAP and choose an american lager yeast and ferment it nicely and you can make your own version of Stroh's.

Though thinking of the recipe, the only way is likely to contact former workers of Stroh's and ask if they can point you in the right direction. https://www.twincities.com/2013/11/08/stroh-seeks-pension-aid-for-3000-brewery-retirees/

also

https://web.archive.org/web/20230000000000*/http://strohbeer.com/

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 05:32:05 pm »
It seems you are chasing an undefined or undefinable target. Just make a beer you like and call it 1970 Strohs.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2023, 05:13:12 pm »
It's interesting, at least to me, in all the "Clone" books, clone recipes I've seen online, there are clones for Schlitz, Hamms, Lone Star, etc, but not for Strohs. To me Strohs had a unique, enjoyable taste. Unfortunately, the current Strohs is not the same as the 70s version.

Anyone remember the Strohs marketing? "Fire brewed"? I wonder if this caused caramelization and created their unique flavor?

Time to fire up my old version of ProMash. I'm hoping I found a Strohs recipe when I used ProMash and still have the recipe.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2023, 05:25:34 pm »
This ProMash recipe may be close.

82.4% Vienna Malt
11.8% Maize
5.9% Dry Malted Rice Extract

9.3 IBU Hallertau Hersbrucker for 90 minutes.
5 IBU Hallertauer Tradition for 30 minutes.
0.7 IBU Czech Saax for 5 minutes.

2.5 qts/grain ratio
Wyeast #2035 American Lager

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2023, 06:18:28 pm »
This ProMash recipe may be close.

82.4% Vienna Malt
11.8% Maize
5.9% Dry Malted Rice Extract

9.3 IBU Hallertau Hersbrucker for 90 minutes.
5 IBU Hallertauer Tradition for 30 minutes.
0.7 IBU Czech Saax for 5 minutes.

2.5 qts/grain ratio
Wyeast #2035 American Lager
Do a cereal mash on the "maize". Flaked corn will work, but not the same result
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2023, 10:52:41 pm »
still going with this as an undefinable goal, but i heard on a podcast recently from an authority!! that up until the 90s many lager breweries in america were pitching lager yeast at barely ale yeast amounts. the suggestion was this would have led to a more impactful flavour from the yeast back then. consider this.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2023, 07:29:01 pm »
still going with this as an undefinable goal, but i heard on a podcast recently from an authority!! that up until the 90s many lager breweries in america were pitching lager yeast at barely ale yeast amounts. the suggestion was this would have led to a more impactful flavour from the yeast back then. consider this.

Interesting. Stressing the lager yeast.

What about using a bock yeast?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2023, 08:15:23 am »

I don't understand your question, as Bocks are a strong lager.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2023, 10:07:59 am »

What's a bock yeast?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell