Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Promash?  (Read 1858 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
Promash?
« on: April 09, 2023, 06:11:25 pm »
Old guys!
Does anybody know who designed promash?  And does anybody still use it?  I moved on to beersmith but was just wondering about that program.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Promash?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 07:50:52 pm »
Jeff Donovan designed it. I think the last update was ‘03 or something.

I use BeerSmith 3 Mobile.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 07:59:39 pm by BrewBama »

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Promash?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 03:49:40 am »
This old guy is still using Promash.  :)
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 07:27:30 am »
Me too. I see no reason to change, yea, I am an old guy. I have been using it for 15 years and I know it well.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 08:40:49 am »
I had just started using Promash a year or two before it ended. It was a rather difficult program to use and I had stacks of printed instructions to do various things that I had found online at the time. Like the OP I ended up with Beersmith (another steep learning curve) and have stuck with that. If I remember correctly the developers wife was diagnosed with cancer and he shelved the software to focus on his family.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 08:45:28 am »
I still have the 3 floppy discs it came on, but I've been using beersmith for a long time.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 08:55:36 am »
I still use some of the functions it and I compare recipes written in other apps to see what they look like in PM. It's still capable, viable,software.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 12:37:00 am »
That's great.  I was at a lhbs and they had no idea what I was talking about.  I will have to dig it out and see if I can still use it. 

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 07:30:25 pm »
I run Promash on an old laptop that I have.  I'm not sure that I could get it to run on the current Windows version.  Has anyone accomplished that?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2023, 07:46:14 pm »
I run Promash on an old laptop that I have.  I'm not sure that I could get it to run on the current Windows version.  Has anyone accomplished that?

if it was running on XP, you could get a virtual OS like https://www.virtualbox.org/ and install win xp on a virtual partition if not use some simpler and newer virtual OS. im on linux and there are a multitude of programs to run windows programs under different windows versions.

the virtualbox thing sounds like a pain but if you are fairly competent with computers you could promash going after an XP install in 20 mins or so.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2023, 04:21:31 am »

It runs fine under Windows 10, although when I upgraded to Win 10, the "help" function no longer works. I don't know how it would work under Win 11.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2023, 07:20:52 am »

I haven't run it in forever but prompted by your post I just found it on my Windows 11 laptop. It started right up and seems to work fine.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2023, 08:19:21 am »

I'm running it on Win10

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2023, 08:20:21 am »

It runs fine under Windows 10, although when I upgraded to Win 10, the "help" function no longer works. I don't know how it would work under Win 11.

Get a program called WinHelp32 and it will read the help files

www.dennybrew.com

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2023, 10:15:23 am »

Get a program called WinHelp32 and it will read the help files

Thanks, I'll check that out.