Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BrewTek Belgian Yeast Strains  (Read 537 times)

Offline racerted

• 1st Kit
BrewTek Belgian Yeast Strains
« on: March 28, 2023, 01:27:02 pm »
I have brewed many Belgian beers using and exploring the different yeasts available. Recently I came across an article in an old Zymurgy magazine (November/December 2001) in which the Great Northern Brewers Club of Anchorage Alaska did a Belgian Tripel taste experiment with 5 different Belgian strains: Wy3787 (Westmalle), WLP500 (Chimay) and Wy1762 (Rochefort), and two BrewTek strains, CL-300 and CL-320. The BrewTek strains were the overall favorites in the judging. In spite of the information I was able to find about BrewTek from some history of Maribeth Raines/BrewTek provided by Denny Conn, those yeast strains seem to have vanished with the BreTek sale to another defunct "lab" in Colorado. Does anyone have any knowledge of where those yeast strains may have ended up? Could they be available to homebrewers?

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: BrewTek Belgian Yeast Strains
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 09:04:09 am »
I have brewed many Belgian beers using and exploring the different yeasts available. Recently I came across an article in an old Zymurgy magazine (November/December 2001) in which the Great Northern Brewers Club of Anchorage Alaska did a Belgian Tripel taste experiment with 5 different Belgian strains: Wy3787 (Westmalle), WLP500 (Chimay) and Wy1762 (Rochefort), and two BrewTek strains, CL-300 and CL-320. The BrewTek strains were the overall favorites in the judging. In spite of the information I was able to find about BrewTek from some history of Maribeth Raines/BrewTek provided by Denny Conn, those yeast strains seem to have vanished with the BreTek sale to another defunct "lab" in Colorado. Does anyone have any knowledge of where those yeast strains may have ended up? Could they be available to homebrewers?

I believe BSI has them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: BrewTek Belgian Yeast Strains
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 10:58:25 am »
I think Al's east coast yeast has them too