Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FG Too High  (Read 6318 times)

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
Re: FG Too High
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2023, 07:57:29 pm »
OG 1.038, 4.75 gallons.

If the final gravity is 1.014, could cane sugar be added
to lower it to 1.010 or below ?

Thanks

I know i'm a little late to this discussion. But I'd say to let it go. You're only .5% abv off - you might be on the sweet side of the spectrum, but I don't think it'll be bad. Your yeast could be finished and adding sugar to it now will only stress them out more - and there's no guarantee it'll keep fermenting.

At this point, take a look at your process. First, make sure you pitch enough yeast and gave it the best head start you could - then look at your mash temperatures (if it was an all grain recipe), looks like it could have had a higher temp that you wanted.

If you truly want to have it keep fermenting, then add Amlyo enzyme - but that will completely dry it out to .998 - you'll end up with a 5% beer. Honestly, that's how I like to make my light lagers. I'll brew a batch and cut it down with water until i'm around 1.03x gravity and dry it out with Amlyo.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2023, 05:53:19 am »
OG 1.038, 4.75 gallons.

If the final gravity is 1.014, could cane sugar be added
to lower it to 1.010 or below ?

Thanks

I know i'm a little late to this discussion. But I'd say to let it go. You're only .5% abv off - you might be on the sweet side of the spectrum, but I don't think it'll be bad. Your yeast could be finished and adding sugar to it now will only stress them out more - and there's no guarantee it'll keep fermenting.

At this point, take a look at your process. First, make sure you pitch enough yeast and gave it the best head start you could - then look at your mash temperatures (if it was an all grain recipe), looks like it could have had a higher temp that you wanted.

If you truly want to have it keep fermenting, then add Amlyo enzyme - but that will completely dry it out to .998 - you'll end up with a 5% beer. Honestly, that's how I like to make my light lagers. I'll brew a batch and cut it down with water until i'm around 1.03x gravity and dry it out with Amlyo.

What is this Amlyo enzyme ?
Where would you get it, and what would it be sold as ?

Thanks

Fire Rooster

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2023, 06:39:52 am »
Amylase Enzyme ?

Glucoamylase Enzyme ?

Both new to me, no idea what either one is used for, or the difference.

Any input ?

Thanks

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2023, 07:58:25 am »
...don't go there...
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2023, 08:04:43 am »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

FG Too High
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2023, 08:18:05 am »
Nothing to be scared of. They’re just a couple of the numerous naturally occurring enzymes that break down X to Y. 

Here are some explanations:

Amylase Enzyme : in a 2-row barley malt mash there’s usually plenty of Amylase diastic power (DP) to convert starches to sugars. In a mash extremely high in adjuncts such as 100% ‘corn squeezins’, Amylase Enzyme could be an asset. I believe ~an hour N of me, Jack Daniels uses 80% corn, 8% rye, and 12% 6-row to take advantage of the 6-row’s high DP to convert the corn’s starch to sugar.

There various different ’Gluco’ enzyme mixes:

Glucoamylase EnzymeThis can breakdown complex sugars to simple sugars to drop gravity very low in dry beers such as Brut IPA.

Gluco buster Enzyme    Big breweries can use ‘gluco’ to aid in lautering.

However, If you’re planning to add them: make an informed decision. Your beer: your call.

Gravity today is 1.013 @ 60f

Did it go any lower?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 09:21:46 am by BrewBama »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2023, 09:29:02 am »
dmtaylor  = don't go there...
Denny =  THIS
BrewBama = However, If you’re planning to add them: make an informed decision. Your beer: your call.

Lots of warning flags

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2023, 09:32:05 am »
Denny =  THIS
BrewBama = However, If you’re planning to add them: make an informed decision. Your beer: your call.

Lots of warning flags

It's just that you can't control them. They can take your beer to 1.000 or below.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2023, 09:47:14 am »
Denny =  THIS

Lots of warning flags

It's just that you can't control them. They can take your beer to 1.000 or below.

Why would 1.000 or below be a concern ?

Thanks

Fire Rooster

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2023, 11:52:21 am »
Nothing to be scared of. They’re just a couple of the numerous naturally occurring enzymes that break down X to Y. 

Here are some explanations:

Amylase Enzyme : in a 2-row barley malt mash there’s usually plenty of Amylase diastic power (DP) to convert starches to sugars. In a mash extremely high in adjuncts such as 100% ‘corn squeezins’, Amylase Enzyme could be an asset. I believe ~an hour N of me, Jack Daniels uses 80% corn, 8% rye, and 12% 6-row to take advantage of the 6-row’s high DP to convert the corn’s starch to sugar.

There various different ’Gluco’ enzyme mixes:

Glucoamylase EnzymeThis can breakdown complex sugars to simple sugars to drop gravity very low in dry beers such as Brut IPA.

Gluco buster Enzyme    Big breweries can use ‘gluco’ to aid in lautering.

However, If you’re planning to add them: make an informed decision. Your beer: your call.

Gravity today is 1.013 @ 60f

Did it go any lower?

Gravity switching between 1.013 and 1.012 today @ 59f, mostly 1.013.

Offline BrewBama

FG Too High
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2023, 12:06:57 pm »

Thanks
Nothing if you want a dry beer.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2023, 01:42:59 pm »

Thanks

Wait, I thought I read here that more alcohol makes the beer sweeter.  I'm so confused... ;)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2023, 04:04:14 pm »

Thanks

Wait, I thought I read here that more alcohol makes the beer sweeter.  I'm so confused... ;)
I don't think that that is the consensus option; I don't agree with it.  This whole thread is a bit confusing because (I believe) the OP is seeking alcohol from their low OG beer.  That alone I find odd.  But hey- we all are after different things sometimes.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2023, 04:08:06 am »

Thanks

I don't think that that is the consensus option; I don't agree with it.  This whole thread is a bit confusing because (I believe) the OP is seeking alcohol from their low OG beer.  That alone I find odd.  But hey- we all are after different things sometimes.

Different strokes for different folks.

Cheers

Fire Rooster

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2023, 01:51:36 pm »
Today tilt switching between 1.013 and 1.014.
Saga over bottled it.

Cheers