Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FG Too High  (Read 6316 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: FG Too High
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2023, 03:16:28 pm »
Add Glucoamylase

Or just say good enough for this time around
That’s what I would do.  Probably brew a bitter crisp beer to blend it with.     

….but if you just gotta add something with the anticipation of a reduced FG, I’d add enzymes over sugar.

Yep. Although I've screwed up enough batches trying to "save" them that I tend to just let it ride.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2023, 03:31:42 pm »
OG 1.038, 4.75 gallons.

If the final gravity is 1.014, could cane sugar be added
to lower it to 1.010 or below ?

Thanks
Hold up- does it taste too sweet or are you just going by gravity?

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2023, 09:30:51 pm »
I doubt adding sugar will change the FG. I believe it will ferment out resulting in higher ABV but will take you right back to the same FG when it’s done.

I think there are two parts to the theory behind adding some sugar.  The first is that the volume of the batch is being increased (albeit a very small amount) with something that is highly fermentable.  So the main batch will have a certain FG, plus the sugar addition with a potentially much lower FG, together will result in a lower FG for the entire batch.  The other thing is with the second sugar addition the yeast will grow and become active again and could possibly pickup some additional existing sugars that were already there.  I don't recall where I saw the second one.  Not sure if that happens or not.

I have see this work in practice though.  I brewed a honey wheat ale once.  The primary fermentation stop at 1.008.  I added honey which brought the SG back up to 1.016.  The fermentation picked back up and the FG ended up being 1.006 after the secondary.

If there is a change in FG though, I would expect it to be small.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2023, 02:31:05 am »
I doubt adding sugar will change the FG. I believe it will ferment out resulting in higher ABV but will take you right back to the same FG when it’s done.

I think there are two parts to the theory behind adding some sugar.  The first is that the volume of the batch is being increased (albeit a very small amount) with something that is highly fermentable.  So the main batch will have a certain FG, plus the sugar addition with a potentially much lower FG, together will result in a lower FG for the entire batch.  The other thing is with the second sugar addition the yeast will grow and become active again and could possibly pickup some additional existing sugars that were already there.  I don't recall where I saw the second one.  Not sure if that happens or not.

I have see this work in practice though.  I brewed a honey wheat ale once.  The primary fermentation stop at 1.008.  I added honey which brought the SG back up to 1.016.  The fermentation picked back up and the FG ended up being 1.006 after the secondary.

The reason you see a lower FG is because alcohol has a lower specific gravity than 1.000. Adding something that ferments out fully will put more alcohol in solution, but the unfermented dextrins/sugars are still there. You don't end up with something that is less sweet, just more alcoholic.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Fire Rooster

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2023, 03:02:38 am »
OG 1.038, 4.75 gallons.

Thanks

Didn't taste it, still in fermenter.  Gravity is only part of it, if it was a higher OG
a FG of 1.014 would be fine.  Since I only brew session brews i found ABV a little
over or under 4 ABV is fine.  When I get too close to 3 ABV it starts to feel/taste like
a flavored soft drink.  I prefer dry, if it's a little sweet that's fine.
I want my ABV. (hint song)

For those with no clue-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTP2RUD_cL0

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 05:18:38 am by Fire Rooster »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2023, 05:11:10 am »
Current gravity 1.020, and airlock still bubbling.
Will it hit 1.014 ? or below ? time will tell.

Cheers

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2023, 08:51:26 am »
OG 1.038, 4.75 gallons.

Thanks

Didn't taste it, still in fermenter.  Gravity is only part of it, if it was a higher OG
a FG of 1.014 would be fine.  Since I only brew session brews i found ABV a little
over or under 4 ABV is fine.  When I get too close to 3 ABV it starts to feel/taste like

For those with no clue-

Cheers

If you didn't taste it, how do you know it's too sweet?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2023, 09:20:03 am »
OG 1.038, 4.75 gallons.

Thanks

For those with no clue-

Cheers

I didn't state if it was sweet or dry, don't know, not concerned.
My only intent is to bump up ABV.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 09:21:59 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2023, 09:21:52 am »
OG 1.038, 4.75 gallons.

Thanks

For those with no clue-

Cheers

I never said it was sweet or dry, not concerned.

Cheers

Sorry, I misunderstood.

www.dennybrew.com

Fire Rooster

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2023, 09:22:56 am »
OG 1.038, 4.75 gallons.

Thanks

For those with no clue-

Cheers

Cheers

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Everythings cool, you are getting old  ::)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2023, 09:34:26 am »
OG 1.038, 4.75 gallons.

Thanks

For those with no clue-

Cheers

Cheers

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Getting?  😆

www.dennybrew.com

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2023, 09:36:20 am »
OG 1.038, 4.75 gallons.

Thanks

For those with no clue-

Cheers

Cheers

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Getting?  😆
A lot of us are in that boat. Just keep on brewing.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2023, 03:53:25 pm »

The reason you see a lower FG is because alcohol has a lower specific gravity than 1.000. Adding something that ferments out fully will put more alcohol in solution, but the unfermented dextrins/sugars are still there. You don't end up with something that is less sweet, just more alcoholic.

True enough.  I agree that the unfermented sugars will still be there.  But there was a mention from Fire Rooster of possibly adding enough sugar to raise the ABV by 1%.  That's almost a 33% increase from the current level.  I think that could change the flavor and body enough that the perceived sweetness could be lower.  Maybe not though, just a guess on my part.  The rest of the recipe would definitely come into play.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2023, 04:24:12 pm »

True enough.  I agree that the unfermented sugars will still be there.  But there was a mention from Fire Rooster of possibly adding enough sugar to raise the ABV by 1%.  That's almost a 33% increase from the current level.  I think that could change the flavor and body enough that the perceived sweetness could be lower.  Maybe not though, just a guess on my part.  The rest of the recipe would definitely come into play.

Since alcohol is sweet I'd guess it would go the other way.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2023, 05:16:06 pm »
Then why are things which are fermented to "dryness" dry and not sweet?