Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FG Too High  (Read 6313 times)

Fire Rooster

FG Too High
« on: March 22, 2023, 05:18:33 am »
OG 1.038, 4.75 gallons.

If the final gravity is 1.014, could cane sugar be added
to lower it to 1.010 or below ?

Thanks

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: FG Too High
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 06:05:18 am »
Yes, adding sugar should help, as long as it is concentrated.  For instance, ciders, meads, and wines which have mostly simple sugars will often finish as low as 0.992.  You can reap the same benefits of gravity reduction by adding sugar in a non-diluted manner.  It might be best to make a simple syrup of 50/50 water to sugar by volume, or maybe 2:1 (somewhere in there), bring to a boil until fully dissolved, cool, and then add to your batch, to minimize water addition while ensuring sanitization of the sugar.  You could add sugar directly to the fermenter without first dissolving it, but I'm not sure how well it would mix in that way.  Even a syrup will need to be stirred or swirled in or it will settle to bottom.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 06:06:51 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 09:05:45 am »
That's 63% apparent attenuation. Seems pretty low unless the yeast strain or mash temp was out of the ordinary. Do you have any idea why the low attenuation?

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 09:27:54 am »
That's 63% apparent attenuation. Seems pretty low unless the yeast strain or mash temp was out of the ordinary. Do you have any idea why the low attenuation?

Yes, the strike water was way too high, highest ever used.
Lost patience waiting for it to cool down, and stirred grain in.
I think it started off mashing in the 160's it cooled down after a bit
but not until the damage was done.  I knew what I was getting into
and took a chance.  Didn't take it off hot stove, which I should have.
I just tossed in a pound of sugar, lets see where that gets me.

Cheers

« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 09:30:48 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 10:34:05 am »
OG 1.038, 4.75 gallons.

Thanks

Maybe, maybe not.  Depends on why it's high.  Remember, adding sugar will effectively raise your OG.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 10:34:48 am »

Yes, the strike water was way too high, highest ever used.
Lost patience waiting for it to cool down, and stirred grain in.
I think it started off mashing in the 160's it cooled down after a bit
but not until the damage was done.  I knew what I was getting into
and took a chance.  Didn't take it off hot stove, which I should have.
I just tossed in a pound of sugar, lets see where that gets me.

Cheers

Add ice cubes to cool quickly

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 11:03:37 am »
OG 1.038, 4.75 gallons.

Thanks

Maybe, maybe not.  Depends on why it's high.  Remember, adding sugar will effectively raise your OG.

Oh, didn't think of that, so can't use original OG for ABV calculation.
Based on Brewers Friend calculator a pound of sugar should raise it about 1% ABV.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/allgrain-ogfg/

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 11:17:20 am »
I doubt adding sugar will change the FG. I believe it will ferment out resulting in higher ABV but will take you right back to the same FG when it’s done.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 11:20:02 am »
Yes, adding sugar should help, as long as it is concentrated.  For instance, ciders, meads, and wines which have mostly simple sugars will often finish as low as 0.992.  You can reap the same benefits of gravity reduction by adding sugar in a non-diluted manner.  It might be best to make a simple syrup of 50/50 water to sugar by volume, or maybe 2:1 (somewhere in there), bring to a boil until fully dissolved, cool, and then add to your batch, to minimize water addition while ensuring sanitization of the sugar.  You could add sugar directly to the fermenter without first dissolving it, but I'm not sure how well it would mix in that way.  Even a syrup will need to be stirred or swirled in or it will settle to bottom.

One teaspoon cane sugar (Florida-Crystals) is added directly in 22 oz bottles for carbonation, with no known issues (4-5 years ?)
Although not sterile, it's my belief cane sugar has anti-microbial properties, ABV is also a part of it. No different than carb-drops ?
Poured one pound sugar directly in fermenter, dropping to bottom is fine with me, yeast there waiting for it.
Already have strong air-lock activity.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:24:30 am by Fire Rooster »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 11:25:20 am »
I doubt adding sugar will change the FG. I believe it will ferment out resulting in higher ABV but will take you right back to the same FG when it’s done.

Believe or not that makes sense to me  ;D

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
FG Too High
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 11:36:12 am »

Believe or not that makes sense to me  ;D
Adding a lb of table sugar will raise the og 9 pts in 5 gallons so you can add appr 10 pts for 4.75 gallons. Your fg will likely remain the same as it was, but you can calculate your abv on the new og (old og + .10) and old fg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:41:59 am by jverduin »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 11:38:48 am »

Agreed

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 02:33:38 pm »
Add Glucoamylase

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 02:36:17 pm »
Add Glucoamylase

Or just say good enough for this time around

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2023, 02:54:00 pm »
Add Glucoamylase

Or just say good enough for this time around
That’s what I would do.  Probably brew a bitter crisp beer to blend it with.     

….but if you just gotta add something with the anticipation of a reduced FG, I’d add enzymes over sugar.