Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thinking of trying something new  (Read 548 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Thinking of trying something new
« on: March 05, 2023, 11:29:52 am »
Morebeer has kits that use a single hop for flavor and aroma.  They are set for 5 gallon batches.  I was thinking of splitting the 5 gallons into two 2.5 gallon batches into the fermenter and using different yeasts to see what the effects are.  My questions are:  1. Can I use my 5 gallon bucket fermenter for each 2.5 gallon batch?  I have two and would be able to store both in the same place to keep all other variables the same.  2. If I buy a packet of both Bry97 and US05 can I dump the full amount in each bucket or it that too much yeast for each 2.5 gallon batch?

Reason for this is two fold.  I have some homegrown hops, and Morebeer has the same varieties in their single hop kits.  My home grown are still young, finished their first year this past year, so I don't have much at this time.  I figure, by using the single hop kits I can get an idea of what each of these hops brings to the table and taylor future recipes to them.  Make sense? 

Any input is always welcomed.  Rock On!!!!!!!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Thinking of trying something new
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 12:38:02 pm »
No problem using a whole packet of yeast in 2.5 gallons and no problem fermenting 2.5 gallons in each of your buckets.
As for the hops, they'll vary, sometimes considerably, from crop to crop, as well as where they're grown and even between fields in close proximity to each other. Your hops may be very different than what you'd get in a kit. At least with commercially grown hops, you'll know the AA%. That's why most homebrewers use homegrown hops for late additions and dry hopping when their affect on bitterness is minimal.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 05:24:44 pm »
I brewed the same recipe over one Summer changing out hops like that. I learned a lot.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 08:39:43 pm »
No problem using a whole packet of yeast in 2.5 gallons and no problem fermenting 2.5 gallons in each of your buckets.
As for the hops, they'll vary, sometimes considerably, from crop to crop, as well as where they're grown and even between fields in close proximity to each other. Your hops may be very different than what you'd get in a kit. At least with commercially grown hops, you'll know the AA%. That's why most homebrewers use homegrown hops for late additions and dry hopping when their affect on bitterness is minimal.

That is what I have read also, and that is the plan.  I have Chinook, as I understand it, they are going to be used for the bittering as long as they are strong enough, and the others for flavor and aroma late in the boil.   To be honest, my wife wanted to give growing them a try, so I could not say no.  LOL.  Either way, thanks for the input, good to know I was on the right path here.