Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Book selection suggestion  (Read 815 times)

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit
Book selection suggestion
« on: February 28, 2023, 09:17:37 pm »
I just joined the AHA and included with my membership is a choice of a free book. I have only brewed 4 extract kits (from NB) but all grain brewing is peaking my interest with the amount of recipes in the recipe section.  What would be a good book from the list on the link below?  Wouldn't necessarily need to be an all grain book, but simply a good book with lots of info I can absorb like a sponge.

https://www.brewerspublications.com/collections/aha-1yr-book-promo?_ga=2.3786544.1829297554.1677528371-763432535.1677528371

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Book selection suggestion
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 10:21:54 pm »
How to Brew by John Palmer is one of the classics and covers extract as well as all-grain brewing. Some of the other books are quite specialized, but this one is very general and should be very useful.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 08:32:49 am »
Definitely How to Brew by John Palmer. It not only starts with the basics but follows through with most everything you need as your brewing skills progress.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 08:37:01 am »
Simple Homebrewing!  😉 or How to Brew if I'm being honest.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 09:38:44 am »
Simple Homebrewing!  😉

Not that you're biased or anything :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 10:15:47 am »
Simple Homebrewing!  😉

Not that you're biased or anything :)

Which is why I added the last sentence

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 03:53:09 pm »
For a beginner, How to Brew is definitely the top choice. Brewing Classic Styles is a close second, and is one of the few brewing books I still refer to when formulating my own recipes.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 10:47:31 am »
How to Brew it is.  Just ordered it. Can't wait for it to get here!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 01:01:15 pm »
And welcome to the AHA and the forum!  Erockrph is right about the next book - either Brewing Classic Styles or Simple Homebrewing would be on the list for me to suggest.  The key for you is to see if you can learn from others and avoid having to learn too much by mistake (though learning by mistake is still learning!)  The homebrewers here are pretty kind and willing to impart their best knowledge, so don't hesitate to ask questions (and follow-up questions, as well).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Skeeter686

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 04:08:48 pm »

learning by mistake is still learning!

But I'd rather learn from others' mistakes! 

And welcome to the AHA!

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 08:14:21 am »
I have the How to Brew by Palmer, and while it has been pretty interesting, I would say about 75% of it has gone right over my head.  He is very detailed and almost scientific in his explanations, and I have found that I have gotten far less than I thought I would.  In all honesty, I think I have learned more from here and Homebrew talk than I would from the book, but maybe I need to read it more than once to get past all the tech stuff and into the brewing processes.  I have not finished it though and maybe that is why too.  Either way, I really have not seen why everybody has suggested that book for a new brewer, in my mind, it is a good book for those with some time under their belt and looking for more tech stuff.  But that is me, and flame on for my comments.  LOL.  Rock On!!!!!!!!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 08:33:08 am »
I have the How to Brew by Palmer, and while it has been pretty interesting, I would say about 75% of it has gone right over my head.  He is very detailed and almost scientific in his explanations, and I have found that I have gotten far less than I thought I would.  In all honesty, I think I have learned more from here and Homebrew talk than I would from the book, but maybe I need to read it more than once to get past all the tech stuff and into the brewing processes.  I have not finished it though and maybe that is why too.  Either way, I really have not seen why everybody has suggested that book for a new brewer, in my mind, it is a good book for those with some time under their belt and looking for more tech stuff.  But that is me, and flame on for my comments.  LOL.  Rock On!!!!!!!!!

I suggested it to a new brewer because I read it as a new brewer and it really helped mel

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 08:57:33 am »

I agree that the book reads like something from Chem 101 and it can be a bit of a slog to get through.  But I think the beauty of the book is that you can certainly digest the material in stages.  No need to worry about many things in How to Brew right off the first tee, so to speak.  And as far as a go-to reference for the myriad stages, problems, and science of home-brewing...it's second to none.  The bible, really.

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 10:18:40 am »
I just joined the AHA and included with my membership is a choice of a free book. I have only brewed 4 extract kits (from NB) but all grain brewing is peaking my interest with the amount of recipes in the recipe section.  What would be a good book from the list on the link below?  Wouldn't necessarily need to be an all grain book, but simply a good book with lots of info I can absorb like a sponge.

https://www.brewerspublications.com/collections/aha-1yr-book-promo?_ga=2.3786544.1829297554.1677528371-763432535.1677528371

Welcome to the AHA MDilly!

Cheers.
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director
American Homebrewers Association | Boulder, CO 80302