Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ordinary Bitter  (Read 4114 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Ordinary Bitter
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2023, 04:04:57 pm »
What makes you think the FG estimate is correct? Have you made the exact same batch before?

Totally based on software.(Beer Smith). First time with this recipe (my own). The one thing I feel that contributed to the lower than expected FG was mashing for 60 mins. I think 45 mins may have left it more dextrinous but I may be mistaken. Also that and over attenuation.

What makes you think that the FG is correct so I can correct for the next iteration?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 04:07:47 pm by HopDen »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Ordinary Bitter
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2023, 05:47:21 pm »
How did you measure FG?  Did you use a floating hydrometer (Tilt, iSpindle, etc).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 06:32:50 pm by BrewBama »

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2023, 07:07:53 pm »
How did you measure FG?  Did you use a floating hydrometer (Tilt, iSpindle, etc).

Hydrometer and tilt. Tilt calibrated prior to pitch and floating hydrometer after taking sample.

Offline BrewBama

Ordinary Bitter
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2023, 08:08:23 pm »
I wouldn’t trust the Tilt for FG. It’s great to tell you how fermentation is progressing and when fermentation is complete but use a finish hydrometer to verify FG.

I also calibrate in water at the beginning of each fermentation. My Tilt reading vs FG hydrometer reading is more often that not 3-5 gravity points off at the end of fermentation. This is due to the spooge attached to the top of the Tilt causing it to, well, tilt.  I’ll bet the Tilt had a gob of goo on it throwing off the FG. Especially when using an active yeast. Like Pub.

I always go with the FG hydrometer reading in my final calculations.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 08:51:55 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2023, 08:52:16 am »
What makes you think the FG estimate is correct? Have you made the exact same batch before?

Totally based on software.(Beer Smith). First time with this recipe (my own). The one thing I feel that contributed to the lower than expected FG was mashing for 60 mins. I think 45 mins may have left it more dextrinous but I may be mistaken. Also that and over attenuation.

What makes you think that the FG is correct so I can correct for the next iteration?

There is no reason to think that prediction is accurate
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2023, 01:42:36 pm »

So if the est. FG is just a numerical plug in (my words) that mean nothing more than a moving target wether it is estimated by software or by slide rule, why even have a FG?

Also, how does a brewer adjust to make a finished beer have a higher/lower FG? Apparently it is more common to accurately hit the elusive FG when starting with a higher OG.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2023, 02:56:03 pm »

So if the est. FG is just a numerical plug in (my words) that mean nothing more than a moving target wether it is estimated by software or by slide rule, why even have a FG?

Also, how does a brewer adjust to make a finished beer have a higher/lower FG? Apparently it is more common to accurately hit the elusive FG when starting with a higher OG.
I don’t know the answers to your questions.

I just wanted to state your recipe looks good and the beer will probably taste great regardless of the attenuation or FG. Those are just numbers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2023, 04:27:36 pm »

You measure the FG. You adjust for higher or lower mainly through recipe. Secondarily through temp and yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2023, 05:53:59 pm »

You measure the FG. You adjust for higher or lower mainly through recipe. Secondarily through temp and yeast.

So there lies my conundrum. I adjust the recipe with possibly more caramel or pale malt and eliminate the biscuit all together (or whatever) in the hopes that it will give me that mouthfeel/body I am trying to achieve without climbing higher than 4% ABV.

This style of beer is going to be a challenge!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2023, 07:07:44 pm »

This style of beer is … a challenge!

+1

Here’s what I’ve been doing in my effort to brew full body, full flavor, low(er) ABV beers lately:

1) open the gap of my mill.
2) mash in at higher temp range
3) do No Sparge Mash
4) 30 min, low wattage boil
5) choose low attenuating yeast

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2023, 03:00:17 pm »

This style of beer is … a challenge!

+1

Here’s what I’ve been doing in my effort to brew full body, full flavor, low(er) ABV beers lately:

1) open the gap of my mill.
2) mash in at higher temp range
3) do No Sparge Mash
4) 30 min, low wattage boil
5) choose low attenuating yeast

Ok, will definitely apply those suggestions. A few questions though. 1. How low of a boil are you talking about,75-85-95%?
2. What does a no sparge mash accomplish?

Thanks BrewBama

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2023, 04:50:54 pm »
Low boil to me means bring to rolling boil at 3.5 kw for a nice hot break then reduce to “low boil” at 1.6 kw. I low boil for 30 min to limit OG. I skim at flameout before I start the whirlpool.

The No Sparge thing is just me. It gives me the sweetest runnings. I don’t want to increase sugar or volume past what I get from the initial mash. I mash at a calculated full volume to get me a runoff volume of ~6 gal in the kettle. I boil off ~.5 gal or so. I leave ~a gal in the kettle along with the trüb.

I like the results I’ve been getting lately.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2023, 03:17:07 am »
Low boil to me means bring to rolling boil at 3.5 kw for a nice hot break then reduce to “low boil” at 1.6 kw. I low boil for 30 min to limit OG. I skim at flameout before I start the whirlpool.

The No Sparge thing is just me. It gives me the sweetest runnings. I don’t want to increase sugar or volume past what I get from the initial mash. I mash at a calculated full volume to get me a runoff volume of ~6 gal in the kettle. I boil off ~.5 gal or so. I leave ~a gal in the kettle along with the trüb.

I like the results I’ve been getting lately.

BIAB is used, and when done rinsing color is still coming through.
Just by chance my procedures and current equipment don't allow rinsing further.
I think (just a current thought) that those who rinse (BIAB) until clear are picking up
tannin's and astringency as you would with a tea bag.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 06:40:50 am by Fire Rooster »