Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ordinary Bitter  (Read 4115 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Ordinary Bitter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 12:19:58 pm »
Timothy Taylor uses Simpsons Golden Promise.
Which I believe is grown in Scotland, Malted in UK,
and shipped to Timothy Taylor in UK.

My guess is that it tastes different compared to malt
taking a long journey on a ship, and trucked to a USA
brew supply.

Cheers

It does, but not because of the shipping

Why then ?

Terroir and processing

By terroir, do you mean the region I get Golden Promise grain at a brew shop, is different than Timothy Taylors ?
By processing, do you mean the way the grain is milled at Timothy Taylors ?

Thanks

Yes, it might very well be. And I mean GP grown in the states is different than GP grown elsewhere.  By processing, I'm referring to malting. Even if the barley came from the same field, the malt produced by different maltsters would differ due to process.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2023, 01:05:44 pm »

Oh, I wasn't aware that GP is grown in the States.

Thanks

Me either

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2023, 01:48:36 pm »

Oh, I wasn't aware that GP is grown in the States.

Thanks

Me either

I doubt that it is.  It was an example of the concept
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2023, 02:18:19 pm »
We too often forget that malt is both a grown and processed thing - differences in the beers that are brewed can arise field by field, maltster by maltster, batch by batch, and brewer system and process by brewer system and process.  Then there are other malts and ingredients that have similar differences at each level of inquiry.  As homebrewers we are so blessed to be able to try things out and don't have to stress consistency from batch to batch like the commercial guys (if we don't want to do that).

Cheers to a decent homage, regardless of how we get there.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2023, 02:46:44 pm »
I have had good luck with very simple English ale recipes. I will assume you are using ingredients on hand and not suggest anything other than dropping everything other than the base malt and crystal and going with something like 5% crystal, 94% MO and 1% black malt for color. Also, I am not sure of the exact makeup of the amber water profile you are calling for but I would check it against other bitter recipes for gypsum.

So my idea with adding biscuit malt (5%) is to add a bit of nuttiness and bread flavors/aromas. I could prob do w/o the caramalt. SO4 is about 105ppm so that can be def be increased. Water profile is beer smith.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2023, 02:53:42 pm »
For British Bitter water chemistry is important, it is one of those things that supports the other ingredients. I would target 150-200 ppm SO4. I have had some that are higher. Marston's Pedigree smells like wet drywall, which is too much for my tastes.

Yeast selection and fermentation management is important.  They are said to underpitch, and often open ferment to get more esters. The fruityness goes well with the malts used.

They don't always use Maris Otter, but we homebrewers like it. Which Maris Otter? I like Crisp MO, and had used Warminster MO one time and really liked it, and now have enough for another 5 gallon batch. Warminster owns the rights to the MO variety, and Simpsons owns Golden Promise.

As for hops, EKG is a classic. Target, Northdown, and Challenger are also widely used. Harvey's Sussex Bitter is known for Brambling Cross hops which have a current flavor.

Other ingredients like Invert Sugars and torrified wheat appear in recipies. I like what those can do in a Brittish Bitter.

Thos. Fawcett MO, first time trying so zero exp with it IIRC.
The water is still a work in progress. BS amber dry has is suggesting 105ppm SO4 and agree it prob needs adj higher.

Thanks!!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2023, 07:27:09 am »
In my opinion, something like Biscuit or Victory malt is unnecessary if you're starting with a flavorful Pale Ale malt as your base. I'm a big fan of Crisp Floor-Malted MO. I've also used malts from US craft maltsters that are really good in these styles (I'm using Ye Olde Pale Ale from Sugar Creek right now and enjoying it a lot).

I brew a lot of moderate gravity English ales in the 1.035-1.040 range, and the biggest factor to me is carbonation. I use invert sugar in a lot of my recipes, so they end up attenuating pretty well. It's easy for me to end up overcarbonating these, and they end up thin and watery. As a matter of fact, I just brewed a Brown Ale that had this exact problem. Once I blew off the excess carbonation the beer really came into its own.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2023, 02:13:51 pm »
Here is an update on recipe formation.

RO
Ca-65ppm
SO4-150ppm
CL2-67ppm

Mash In 155* 
Mash Out 169*

89.5% Thos. Fawcett MO
 6% Briess C40
 4% Dingemans Biscuit
 0.5% Briess Midnight Wheat

Northdown @90 21 IBU
EKG @30 9 IBU

LalBrew Windsor British or WLP 002 or something else (suggestions welcome) I am overthinking this recipe!

Possibly an addition of sugar to bump the ABV above 3.4% but not over 4% ABV

Anywhoot, thoughts are appreciated.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2023, 08:17:28 am »

RO
Ca-65ppm
SO4-150ppm
CL2-67ppm

Mash In 155* 
Mash Out 169*

89.5% Thos. Fawcett MO
 6% Briess C40
 4% Dingemans Biscuit

Northdown @90 21 IBU
EKG @30 9 IBU

LalBrew Windsor British or WLP 002 or something else (suggestions welcome) I am overthinking this recipe!

Should be a tasty beer! Windsor is fine, but WLP002 is better. If it's your first go at the style, I think you'll want to go with a yeast with a good flavor impact, and Fullers is one of the best at that. WY1469 is another good option as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2023, 08:34:54 am »
This recipe is reminiscent of several I have seen as very popular examples of the style.  I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2023, 03:13:56 pm »

RO
Ca-65ppm
SO4-150ppm
CL2-67ppm

Mash In 155* 
Mash Out 169*

89.5% Thos. Fawcett MO
 6% Briess C40
 4% Dingemans Biscuit

Northdown @90 21 IBU
EKG @30 9 IBU

Should be a tasty beer! Windsor is fine, but WLP002 is better. If it's your first go at the style, I think you'll want to go with a yeast with a good flavor impact, and Fullers is one of the best at that. WY1469 is another good option as well.

So its my 2nd go at the style, first one was ok, tasty but ok. Through looking today for Fullers strain yeast I come to understand that there really isn't a commercial fullers strain. What would be an equivalent commercial strain. Honestly never heard of it until you had suggested.

Reading through the online beer chats, people claim that there are a few, WLP002 being just one. Imperial Pub AO9 was mentioned also. What is your experience?

If Dave DM Taylor reads this I'd like to hear your opinion too!

Thanks people!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 03:36:11 pm by HopDen »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2023, 03:23:53 pm »
Imperial's Pub Ale is similar to 002, but I get the nice marmalade flavor from it. So closer to Fuller's.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2023, 03:46:31 pm »
Imperial's Pub Ale is similar to 002, but I get the nice marmalade flavor from it. So closer to Fuller's.

I have read quite a few comments about this marmalade flavor. I think that is a flavor I can enjoy.

Thanks

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2023, 03:50:25 pm »
I’ve been using Pub quite a bit lately. I really like it.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2023, 03:56:11 pm »

I have read quite a few comments about this marmalade flavor. I think that is a flavor I can enjoy.

Thanks

Which end of the fermentation scale will coax marmalade flavor? I assume the upper end.