Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ordinary Bitter  (Read 4116 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Ordinary Bitter
« on: February 28, 2023, 06:05:41 pm »
Recipe idea for an ordinary bitter.

RO /Amber Dry
Mash 60 @155*
Boil 90

76.6% Fawcett Maris Otter 3 SRM
12.8% Fawcett Caramalt 15 SRM
5.1% Dingemans Biscuit 22.5SRM
5.0% Fawcett Crystal Malt 60 SRM
0.6 % Weyermann Carafa 1 320 SRM

Northdown 90 mins 24 IBU
EKG 30 mins 10 IBU
Possibly another dose EKG 0 mins @145* for 15-20 mins
WLP 002 ferment @ 65-68

This will be my first attempt at a low gravity beer 3.4% +- and I am trying to build some body into it without it being overly cloying. I believe a healthy dose of bittering hops will balance that.

As always, constructive criticism is required.
 Cheers!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Ordinary Bitter
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 10:42:36 pm »
I’ve been thru several iterations of Ordinary Bitter since the beginning of the year (as well as Mild and Scottish 60/- and 70/-). Out of ~six beers, I think I’ve brewed two good ones. Not great but good.

Something Denny said the other day on the subject bears repeating (paraphrasing here): there aren’t many ingredients in these beers so make each ingredient pack a punch.

I’ve seen many recipes from books such as Talley’s Session Beers, Wheeler’s British Real Ale, Ron Pattinson’s Blog, Brewing Classic Styles, etc.  Most typical Ordinary Bitter grain bills I’ve seen list a very large amount of base malt (high 80 to low 90%), med crystal, a tiny bit of roast for color adjustment, and sometimes they list a sugar and other times they don’t.

This tells me Denny’s comment is key. I also think the house yeast plays a huge role in the body of these beers as does technique such as milling, mash, and fermentation.

Someone else (can’t recall who) commented that my efficiency was too high. It seems the ingredients lists when given in weight from the sources above would produce much higher ABV beers given my routine efficiency. Especially with the 90 min boil Wheeler recommends. This could indicate a point of diminishing return on a fine crush. I am not sure about that but possibly they don’t mill the grain as fine as I do therefore there’s more malt in a recipe.  I’d like to taste two beers side-by-side, one with less malt crushed finer and one with more malt crushed coarser, to see if there is a perceptible difference to me.

Also, I’ve decided I am not a huge fan of some British hops. So I use this quote to my advantage: “The style nazi [wants] to define something as "English" or "British" by the use of UK malt and hops. Even though beers actually brewed in Britain over the last 150 [years] have almost always contained some non-British ingredients.” — Ron Pattinson

I hope this gives you some ideas. Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 05:57:33 am by BrewBama »

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Ordinary Bitter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 04:17:42 am »
I’ve been thru several iterations of Ordinary Bitter since the beginning of the year (as well as Mild and Scottish 60/- and 70/-). Out of ~six beers, I think I’ve brewed two good ones. Not great but good.

Something Denny said the other day on the subject bears repeating (paraphrasing here): there aren’t many ingredients in these beers so make each ingredient pack a punch.

I’ve seen many recipes from books such as Talley’s Session Beers, Wheeler’s British Real Ale, Ron Pattinson’s Blog, Brewing Classic Styles, etc.  Most typical Ordinary Bitter grain bills I’ve seen list a very large amount of base malt (high 80 to low 90%), med crystal, a tiny bit of roast for color adjustment, and sometimes they list a sugar and other times they don’t.

This tells me Denny’s comment is key. I also think the house yeast plays a huge role in the body of these beers as does technique such as mash and fermentation.

Someone else (can’t recall who) commented that my efficiency was too high. It seems the ingredients lists when given in weight from the sources above would produce much higher ABV beers given my routine efficiency. Especially with the 90 min boil Wheeler recommends. This could indicate a point of diminishing return on a fine crush. I am not sure about that but possibly they don’t mill the grain as fine as I do therefore there’s more malt in a recipe.  I’d like to taste two beers side-by-side, one with less malt crushed finer and one with more malt crushed coarser, to see if there is a perceptible difference to me.

Also, I’ve decided I am not a huge fan of some British hops. So I use this quote to my advantage: “The style nazi [wants] to define something as "English" or "British" by the use of UK malt and hops. Even though beers actually brewed in Britain over the last 150 [years] have almost always contained some non-British ingredients.” — Ron Pattinson

I hope this gives you some ideas. Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers!

Thanks BB, this gives me something to consider. I am sure I will be tweaking this recipe and will post.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 05:17:04 am »

Something Denny said the other day on the subject bears repeating (paraphrasing here): there aren’t many ingredients in these beers so make each ingredient pack a punch.  +1

This tells me Denny’s comment is key. I also think the house yeast plays a huge role in the body of these beers as does technique such as mash and fermentation. +1

Someone else (can’t recall who) commented that my efficiency was too high. It seems the ingredients lists when given in weight from the sources above would produce much higher ABV beers given my routine efficiency. Especially with the 90 min boil Wheeler recommends. This could indicate a point of diminishing return on a fine crush.  I think that you may get higher efficiency, but using less grain equals less packed punch.

My observations are identical to yours.
I also mash high as safely possible.
Brewing a tasty low ABV brew is very challenging, and every ingredient/step/process is much more important than for a higher ABV.
Low ABV brews is all that I do, you can't follow the higher ABV herd.
I'm still learning.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 05:32:43 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 05:32:03 am »
I have had good luck with very simple English ale recipes. I will assume you are using ingredients on hand and not suggest anything other than dropping everything other than the base malt and crystal and going with something like 5% crystal, 94% MO and 1% black malt for color. Also, I am not sure of the exact makeup of the amber water profile you are calling for but I would check it against other bitter recipes for gypsum.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 05:33:59 am »
Depends on the type of ordinary bitter you are seeking - according to Gordon Strong, Timothy Taylor’s Landlord is 100% Golden Promise.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 06:35:42 am »
Depends on the type of ordinary bitter you are seeking - according to Gordon Strong, Timothy Taylor’s Landlord is 100% Golden Promise.

Was it on these boards somewhere that I read where TT actually caramelizes some of the GP for color??

The best Bitter I ever made was:
93% Crisp Finest* Maris Otter
5% Torrified Wheat
2% Pale Chocolate
Magnum to bitter, Willamette late.
WY1469

Pretty simple, but it was delicious.

*Edited for malt specificity.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 09:26:27 am by Megary »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 07:34:44 am »

Was it on these boards somewhere that I read where TT actually caramelizes some of the GP for color??

The best Bitter I ever made was:
93% Maris Otter
5% Torrified Wheat
2% Pale Chocolate
Magnum to bitter, Willamette late.
WY1469

Pretty simple, but it was delicious.

That may have been me. I've seen that speculation on British Homebrew forums. Timothy Taylor is tight-lipped on everything.

I had a dark TTL at a hotel bar in Skipton Yorkshire, not too far from the brewery. A British friend said it is just colored with brewers caramel which is super dark. They could use a small amount to color TTL, but who knows for sure.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 07:44:28 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 08:41:27 am »

Whose Golden Promise? They're not all the same evening they use the same barley variety. Saying Golden Promise is as meaningless as saying Maris Otter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

Ordinary Bitter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 10:47:33 am »
They also list sugar as in ingredient in Landlord on their website. That could be caramel, invert, maltodextrin, or some other.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 10:49:25 am by BrewBama »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2023, 11:11:32 am »
I appreciate the additional input.  I was just pointing out that Gordon Strong's recipe from BYO uses only one Golden Promise malt (Simpson or Thomas Fawcett or other maltster are not distinguished in the publication) - I also don't know for certain whether TTL is very different from that, as I have not ever had it served to me.  TT is tight-lipped, indeed, so recipe and process could be way different than Gordon's recipe and process (such as Gordon suggesting boiling hard for 70 minutes.)  Invert sugar would be in line with many British brewers, for sure.

Per the BJCP style guidelines, the coloration can be quite wide ranging from 8-14 SRM, but Gordon's recipe is set at 6 SRM, almost like a lower hopped British Golden Ale.  For what it is worth.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2023, 11:21:30 am »
Timothy Taylor uses Simpsons Golden Promise.
Which I believe is grown in Scotland, Malted in UK,
and shipped to Timothy Taylor in UK.

My guess is that it tastes different compared to malt
taking a long journey on a ship, and trucked to a USA
brew supply.

Cheers

It does, but not because of the shipping

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 11:26:07 am »
For British Bitter water chemistry is important, it is one of those things that supports the other ingredients. I would target 150-200 ppm SO4. I have had some that are higher. Marston's Pedigree smells like wet drywall, which is too much for my tastes.

Yeast selection and fermentation management is important.  They are said to underpitch, and often open ferment to get more esters. The fruityness goes well with the malts used.

They don't always use Maris Otter, but we homebrewers like it. Which Maris Otter? I like Crisp MO, and had used Warminster MO one time and really liked it, and now have enough for another 5 gallon batch. Warminster owns the rights to the MO variety, and Simpsons owns Golden Promise.

As for hops, EKG is a classic. Target, Northdown, and Challenger are also widely used. Harvey's Sussex Bitter is known for Brambling Cross hops which have a current flavor.

Other ingredients like Invert Sugars and torrified wheat appear in recipies. I like what those can do in a Brittish Bitter.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Fire Rooster

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 11:34:06 am »
fyi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgxxH668pSk

In video above, the bags are Simpsons, the truck is Fawcetts,
some bags are crystal, others Amber ? maybe they use both.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 11:46:09 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 11:54:36 am »
Timothy Taylor uses Simpsons Golden Promise.
Which I believe is grown in Scotland, Malted in UK,
and shipped to Timothy Taylor in UK.

My guess is that it tastes different compared to malt
taking a long journey on a ship, and trucked to a USA
brew supply.

Cheers

It does, but not because of the shipping

Why then ?

Terroir and processing

www.dennybrew.com