Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Helles beer  (Read 4600 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: German Helles beer
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2023, 04:06:21 pm »
Weihenstephan is the oldest brewery. It burned down 4 times, and had periods of no brewing due to war, plague, and an earthquake. Weltenburg started 20 years later and didn't have those issue, so they sometimes poke fun.

Helles is the most consumed style in the Munich area, and probably Bavaria. Pilsner is popular in the rest of Germany.
There is some variation in Bavaria, in the Franconia part Helles has more bitterness and Hop aroma.

https://www.bjcp.org/style/2021/4/4A/munich-helles/

I brewed a helles yesterday. It will be enjoyed while sitting outside this summer.

Jeff, from reading many of your posts over the years I have come to the conclusion that you have much knowledge of German beers. I think you have also stated you have visited a few times.  We are planning a visit to Europe in 24' with stops in Germany. Can you share any information that could be helpful to us as it will be our first trip there. I really don't know where to start for a beer themed visit. Thank You in advance.

Jeff and his wife lived in Germany.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2023, 07:32:15 pm »
Weihenstephan is the oldest brewery. It burned down 4 times, and had periods of no brewing due to war, plague, and an earthquake. Weltenburg started 20 years later and didn't have those issue, so they sometimes poke fun.

Helles is the most consumed style in the Munich area, and probably Bavaria. Pilsner is popular in the rest of Germany.
There is some variation in Bavaria, in the Franconia part Helles has more bitterness and Hop aroma.

I brewed a helles yesterday. It will be enjoyed while sitting outside this summer.

Jeff, from reading many of your posts over the years I have come to the conclusion that you have much knowledge of German beers. I think you have also stated you have visited a few times.  We are planning a visit to Europe in 24' with stops in Germany. Can you share any information that could be helpful to us as it will be our first trip there. I really don't know where to start for a beer themed visit. Thank You in advance.

Should I start a new thread a be out that?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2023, 05:54:21 am »

Yes! Please do!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2023, 08:38:05 am »
Although it is not necessary, I always do a step mash with my Helles, a Beta rest at 149 degrees F for 15 minutes, ramp the temperature up to 156 degrees and do an Alpha rest for 30 minutes, then ramp up the temp to 168 degrees for a mash out  With the ramp times during the step mash rests, the total mash time is an hour.

I have done both a single infusion and a step mash on this beer and seem to prefer the body and flavor more with a step mash, YMMV.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 09:32:31 am by goose »
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2023, 04:35:49 pm »
Although it is not necessary, I always do a step mash with my Helles, a Beta rest at 149 degrees F for 15 minutes, ramp the temperature up to 156 degrees and do an Alpha rest for 30 minutes, then ramp up the temp to 168 degrees for a mash out  With the ramp times during the step mash rests, the total mash time is an hour.

I have done bot aa dingle infusion and a step mash on this beer and seem to prefer the body and flavor more with a step mash, YMMV.
Goose, does that step mash process depend on what malt you're using?  Is it better with a less-modified malt or does it not matter?  I remember seeing something about how a step-mash could work against you if you were using fully-modified malt... poorer head stability, less body, etc.  I would like to try your process.  I have Swaen Lager malt and also Briess Synergy Select Pilsner malt in the house at the moment.  Cheers and thanks. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2023, 08:35:56 am »

I have done bot aa dingle infusion and a step mash on this beer and seem to prefer the body and flavor more with a step mash, YMMV.
Goose, does that step mash process depend on what malt you're using?  Is it better with a less-modified malt or does it not matter?  I remember seeing something about how a step-mash could work against you if you were using fully-modified malt... poorer head stability, less body, etc.  I would like to try your process.  I have Swaen Lager malt and also Briess Synergy Select Pilsner malt in the house at the moment.  Cheers and thanks.

It's not so much the step mash process as the temps chosen for the steps

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2023, 09:43:13 am »

That makes sense.  So would the 149x15 + 156x30 work well with a more highly-modified malt like the ones I have right now?  I also assume Goose is using this method specifically for Helles since that's the main topic here.  Thanks Denny. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2023, 10:00:52 am »

That makes sense.  So would the 149x15 + 156x30 work well with a more highly-modified malt like the ones I have right now?  I also assume Goose is using this method specifically for Helles since that's the main topic here.  Thanks Denny.

My experience is yes, it does. I often do step mash at 145-148 to 158. You just want to avoid the protein rest range.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2023, 03:31:10 pm »

Yes! Please do!

Where are you planning to go in general, and which towns in Germany? I can write a little about what I know.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2023, 08:53:56 pm »

im aiming to hit bamberg for beer, spezial and well... schlenkerla.

then going west of ansbach for a bit for ancestral reasons, yes i know its the middle of nowhere.

other than the usuals in southern germany i think

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2023, 04:50:26 am »

Yes! Please do!

Where are you planning to go in general, and which towns in Germany? I can write a little about what I know.

That is very appreciated Jeff!

After England and Belgium the first stop in Germany will be Cologne. Also want to visit Andechs in Bavaria. Weihenstephan in Freising. Bamberg and then the Octoberfest in Munich. As my logistics coalesce Im sure there will be other breweries that I want to visit.

Thanks again, cheers!!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2023, 09:04:36 am »

My experience is yes, it does. I often do step mash at 145-148 to 158. You just want to avoid the protein rest range.

I use Wyermann Pilsner malt and 5% Durst Light Munich malt in my Helles and like the results.  I have seen no issues with body or head retention in the beer with this process.  I also agree with Denny that the protein rest is not necessary.  I did a three step mash with a protein rest once and didn't think it did anything wonderful to the beer.  So I took that rest out.

You guys have me now jonesing to make my Helles again.  Maybe this fall when I get caught up on all of the others that are on the list.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2023, 09:18:39 am »
I'll work on a little blurb in "Beer Travel" section.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 09:20:47 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2023, 09:22:54 am »
I'll work on a little blurb in "Beer Travel" section.
Let me know about the England and Belgium part too. I've spent considerable time in both.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2023, 09:44:47 am »
I use Wyermann Pilsner malt and 5% Durst Light Munich malt in my Helles and like the results.  I have seen no issues with body or head retention in the beer with this process.  I also agree with Denny that the protein rest is not necessary.  I did a three step mash with a protein rest once and didn't think it did anything wonderful to the beer.  So I took that rest out.

You guys have me now jonesing to make my Helles again.  Maybe this fall when I get caught up on all of the others that are on the list.
The protein rest is somewhere around 130°F, correct?  I might try this 149x15 + 156x30 mash on a helles and see what it does.  I typically just do a 150x60.  I also like your 95/5 pilsner + munich light.  I have some Wyeast 2124 on the way and I might try this recipe along with this mash schedule on it.  Thanks Goose.   
Ken from Chicago.