Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water Deaeration Methods  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Water Deaeration Methods
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2023, 03:39:11 pm »
Thank you, Martin. That was exactly the point I was trying to make, but you said it better and more quantitatively.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2023, 05:16:36 pm »
not sure if its considered a LODO thing or just a general beer thing, but spunding has been a game changer for me.

why do you think so and how so?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2023, 06:58:32 am »
Where do you guys buy your Brew Tan B?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2023, 07:50:07 am »
Great Fermentations

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2023, 08:58:25 am »
Also from Great Fermentations.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2023, 10:05:19 am »
My LHBS carries it in small containers.  I have also bought it through Williams Brewing:

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Home-Brewing-Supplies/Additives-Spices-Soda-Extract/Clarifying-Foam-Control/Brewtan-B

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2023, 12:22:31 pm »
The data supporting use of BTB in the mash is suspect. (Great as a fining.)
Stick to SMB (and AA.)

Their own data is very odd with LOX having activity at high temperatures, when it should denature above 67C.

BR03 Brewtan B - Mashing fact sheet v4.0 - Natural Specialities https://www.natural-specialities.com/download-zone-01/download-file.html?path=Applications+leaflets%2FBR03+Brewtan+B+-+Mashing+fact+sheet+v4.0.pdf

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2023, 12:27:05 pm »
Thanks, but I judge by how it works for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2023, 01:20:29 pm »
Stick to SMB (and AA.)

Their own data is very odd with LOX having activity at high temperatures, when it should denature above 67C.

BR03 Brewtan B - Mashing fact sheet v4.0 - Natural Specialities https://www.natural-specialities.com/download-zone-01/download-file.html?path=Applications+leaflets%2FBR03+Brewtan+B+-+Mashing+fact+sheet+v4.0.pdf
For me, it is extremely useful as a chelating agent. My well water at home is a great blank slate for brewing, except for a fair amount of iron and manganese. Gallotannin has been the biggest single improvement in the quality of my beers that I have made in the past 10 years.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2023, 01:23:17 pm »
What is the consensus on SMB vs PMB?

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2023, 02:33:04 pm »
Stick to SMB (and AA.)

For me, it is extremely useful as a chelating agent. My well water at home is a great blank slate for brewing, except for a fair amount of iron and manganese. Gallotannin has been the biggest single improvement in the quality of my beers that I have made in the past 10 years.
Yes, it's a great chelating agent indeed.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2023, 05:25:45 pm »
I will say the LODO sensibilities made a difference for me. It made me start using my HERMS that I quit using. Made my brewery better by removing the ton of copper I had. Am I a LODO brewer? No I’m not, but it did change the things that needed changing. The sugar/yeast gig is getting used the next time I brew. I’m also an advocate for BTB. It also made me more O2 conscious when packaging as well. I remember not believing Amanda about purging kegs. She had good info back then. I don’t get to brew that often. 20g batches keep me running. Split yeasts and it isn’t the same beer. It really didn’t slow my day up that much. Setup, brew, cleanup, and coverup is an 8-10 hr day anyway. Kind of got me liking brewing more. ✌🏼
Jeff B

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2023, 05:43:37 am »
… O2 conscious when packaging …

+1

I like to purge kegs with fermentation CO2, closed transfer, keep the beer dark and cold, and drink fresh.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2023, 12:04:45 pm »
I'm sitting here thinking about the many methods to reduce/eliminate DO and I had an idea come to mind. I'm almost certain that someone else thought of this, tried it then determined the results were a big fat zero.

For any of you who work in construction, specifically concrete, there are times when the concrete has to be vibrated to remove air pockets for various reasons.

Is it possible to vibrate the water to remove the DO? Of course it is. Will it work? I don't know but I am going to try. Any engineers out there have an opinion?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 12:08:47 pm by HopDen »

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2023, 12:45:58 pm »
Is it possible to vibrate the water to remove the DO? Of course it is. Will it work? I don't know but I am going to try. Any engineers out there have an opinion?

The question would be - do you pick up any O2 at the surface while vibrating. I would think you do.

As for other oxygen issues, I've always advocated that doing a full CO2 purge (sanitizer and push out) is one of the best things you can do for your beer. (assuming you've got your sanitation and fermentation mechanics down pat)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny