Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water Deaeration Methods  (Read 4114 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Water Deaeration Methods
« on: February 18, 2023, 02:40:16 pm »
What is the best/most efficient way to deaerate strike water?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Water Deaeration Methods
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 02:43:24 pm »
Boil it is the easiest
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 02:51:32 pm »
Boil it is the easiest

Is it? I don't really know if it is for my system and batch size. I prob should have stated that I strike with 13+- gallons. Underletting, so strike and sparge are tied. Is there another way?
I agree that it is prob the easiest but...

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 03:22:12 pm »
Boil it is the easiest

Is it? I don't really know if it is for my system and batch size. I prob should have stated that I strike with 13+- gallons. Underletting, so strike and sparge are tied. Is there another way?

sauergut

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Water Deaeration Methods
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 04:07:24 pm »
Yeast and sugar.  I collect water and deaerate the night before brewday. It takes 20 min to reach zero and lasts 2+ days at zero DO. Heating to strike temp kills the yeast and further drives off DO.

Ref: https://www.themodernbrewhouse.com/deoxygenation-revisited/
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 05:27:01 pm by BrewBama »

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 04:26:13 pm »
Boil it is the easiest

sauergut
Re sauergut, I've seen it written somewhere but it's mostly incorrect.
Common sauergut strains are homofermentative.
This said, if you culture sauergut from malt you may get lucky and get wild yeast and lacto hetero cultures that survive the process (or unlucky).
Sugar/ yeast should work if boiling is not an option.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 04:38:22 pm »
Boil it is the easiest

sauergut
Sauergut is used to adjust pH. Lactobacilli die at mash temps.

The yeast and sugar method takes some time. Then you have to heat to strike temps, killing the yeast, and O2 diffuses in.

Boiled waster has to be cooled to strike temp, and O2 will difuse in while doing that.

I've found N-meta added before the stike to work the best for me and how I'm brewing on my system.

German brewers have the ability to strip the 02 from the water, then store the water in an CO2 or N2 purged vessel free from O2.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 06:16:18 pm »
For completeness, low oxygen homebrewers combine yeast/ sugar or boil with SMB.
Some add ascorbic acid with the SMB.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2023, 06:56:57 am »
Pure nitrogen works.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2023, 08:50:14 am »
Boil it is the easiest

sauergut
Sauergut is used to adjust pH. Lactobacilli die at mash temps.

The yeast and sugar method takes some time. Then you have to heat to strike temps, killing the yeast, and O2 diffuses in.

Boiled waster has to be cooled to strike temp, and O2 will difuse in while doing that.

I've found N-meta added before the stike to work the best for me and how I'm brewing on my system.

German brewers have the ability to strip the 02 from the water, then store the water in an CO2 or N2 purged vessel free from O2.

Thanks for the correction

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2023, 10:59:29 am »
Yeast and sugar.  I collect water and deaerate the night before brewday. It takes 20 min to reach zero and lasts 2+ days at zero DO. Heating to strike temp kills the yeast and further drives off DO.

ive done this on 2 batches and not done it on 2 other batches this winter. after checking right now which ones, i think simply from my tasting impressions there is a chance this water deoxygenation might make better beer. i used some EEEC118 i think left kicking around in my fridge and a tbsp of sugar. i believe i will keep doing it becuase it takes so little effort and is part of my normal brewday -1 prep

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2023, 01:24:14 pm »
Pure nitrogen works.

But it takes a lot of it and or special columns and membrane contactors which makes it expensive.
Boiling is much cheaper. Yeast are even cheaper yet.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2023, 02:48:05 pm »

ive done this on 2 batches and not done it on 2 other batches this winter. after checking right now which ones, i think simply from my tasting impressions there is a chance this water deoxygenation might make better beer. i used some EEEC118 i think left kicking around in my fridge and a tbsp of sugar. i believe i will keep doing it becuase it takes so little effort and is part of my normal brewday -1 prep
I have been doing this for the last 12 batches now and I think maybe, possibly it helps make cleaner tasting, longer lasting beers. For 15 gallons of strike water I use 28 grams of sugar and a package of Fleischman yeast the evening before brew day. I also underlet the mash, stir minimally and set the sparge arm below the surface of the mash.  It's easy for my system.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2023, 03:43:49 pm »

I have been doing this for the last 12 batches now and I think maybe, possibly it helps make cleaner tasting, longer lasting beers. For 15 gallons of strike water I use 28 grams of sugar and a package of Fleischman yeast the evening before brew day. I also underlet the mash, stir minimally and set the sparge arm below the surface of the mash.  It's easy for my system.

i dont want to get pulled into confirmation bias because i recall low O2 people saying removing oxygen enhances maltiness, but i believe that is it. just an intense malt flavour in the 2 beers, the one had a massive amount of specialty malts so it isnt a surprise, but the other was all pils. so, ill keep monitoring the results.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2023, 05:05:33 pm »
If low oxygen strike water is the goal (and I’m not saying it is or isn’t) then I am someone who must be guilty of far too much O2 in the mash.  BIAB on the stove.  I fill my kettle from a faucet above the stove that just splashes away.  After reaching strike temp, I dump my grains into the kettle from a bowl and whisk away like the dickens to break up dough balls.  I stir the mash regularly, every 5-10 minutes with little subtlety.  What it is, what it has been.

But I find this conversation very interesting even if I’m not sure what the end game is.

Yeast and sugar the night before seems beyond easy and having the kettle ready would be time-helpful the next day.  Just crank the burner and Let’s go!  I’m still not sure why though.   :)

One question:  Do we treat the water with salt/acid along with the yeast/sugar addition, or not until after the O2 is gone.  If the latter, how do you incorporate something like Gypsum, the bugger that doesn’t want to readily dissolve, without whisking or stirring in O2?