Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ‘No Sparge’ technique  (Read 1049 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
‘No Sparge’ technique
« on: February 17, 2023, 11:14:55 am »
I have a question mainly for BIAB and All-in-One brew system users (or others) using the ‘No Sparge’ method: Do you (A) use 100% of the brewhaus liquor to mash, lift the basket/bag, and start your boil? —OR— Do you (B) use a certain volume of strike liquor based on a certain grist:liquor ratio, mash, add the remaining liquor to reach full volume, then pull the basket/bag? —OR— Do you (C) use something not mentioned?

IOW, mash A would be a much thinner full volume mash while mash B would be a more ‘conventional’ mash then thinned out in conjunction with a vorlauf step.

Secondarily: Given that No Sparge will be used, are there Pros/Cons to either?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 11:36:24 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: ‘No Sparge’ technique
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 11:19:12 am »
I use both A and B, depending on what I feel like and the amount of grain. There seems to be no detectable difference in the beer either way.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 11:54:29 am »
For BIAB in a standard pot...

I always "A" because it's easier.  I also found that a thinner mash gives me better conversion.  YMMV.

The only way I would ever "B" is if I had a small pot and couldn't full-volume mash.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 11:57:59 am »
option A. Simple, easy and gets the job done.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 12:31:47 pm »
Well if you are limiting to no sparge, I recirc the full volume, but any more I use a BIAB, remove the bag after the initial mash and batch sparge into a bucket without any recirc during the mash and like my results best over other methods I have used.  The only extra cleanup is the bag and the bucket…  there truly is no wrong way here.  No sparge just requires me to adjust to a little lower efficiency.

With large batches I go with a 20 gallon InfuSSion mash tun and 18 gallon boil Kettle, so clean up is two dedicated vessels.  I have settled into a 2 qts/pound or less (1.5 often enough) initial strike water ratio and it helps my efficiencies.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 12:42:11 pm »
I use Option A.  Mash thickness is usually around 2.4 to 2.7 quarts per pound. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Online Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 01:46:47 pm »
I use option A most of the time because of its simplicity. Sometimes I will reserve 1/2 gallon of water to use for sparging the bag after it has been lifted out of the kettle. That gives me a few more percentage points of efficiency. If I am short on recovered volume I will sparge the grains in the (removed from the kettle) bag with a bit of tap water until I get what I want. That doesn't happen very often.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline BrewBama

‘No Sparge’ technique
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 02:14:16 pm »
And now, the Paul Harvey:

I have been brewing lower ABV beers my last few batches because I like to drink beer but don’t need all the carbs. All the pee without all the buzz so to speak. Bitters, Milds, ….Session stuff. (Jennifer Talley has a great book on the subject)

This means that I use less grain in the mash. If I were to mash a full strength APA for example, for my system mashing with the full liquor volume would result in ~2.75 qt/lb. I have been brewing full volume mash no sparge about a year now with no problem. Some of the most enjoyable relaxing brewdays and best beers I’ve ever brewed. However, since I am using far less grain lately, the full volume would result in ~4 qt/lb. I am not sure if that is a problem or not.

I don’t *think* I have experienced any detrimental effects yet but I am only a few batches in to this type of Session brewing. A Mild turned out really well. A Bitter I brewed kinda not so great. I believe in part that was due to recipe but could also be due partly to technique. I have a Scottish 70/- that is conditioning that seems to be pretty good (so far). I am fermenting a revamped Bitter recipe now.

Anyway, I am considering withholding some strike liquor and add it after the main 60 min mash is complete, vorlauf ~30 min with the now full volume while increasing to mash out temp, then lauter.  IDK.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 02:23:34 pm by BrewBama »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 02:42:53 pm »
I love to make small beers - I have had a Lichtbier Helles medal a few times and it goes pretty fast here at the house once friends discover it.  I find it easier to make the batch by batch sparging (as you might have guessed), but if forced to no sparge, I would make the batch with around a 2.5 qts/lb ratio and simply add water to the boil to get it to the desired lower ABV....but I bet others will say to just make it with the higher ratio and not worry about it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 02:43:37 pm »
as long as you correct pH for the larger water amount, I don't see a problem. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2023, 05:14:00 pm »
Thx guys. Food for thought.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2023, 06:52:50 am »
And now, the Paul Harvey:

I have been brewing lower ABV beers my last few batches because I like to drink beer but don’t need all the carbs. All the pee without all the buzz so to speak. Bitters, Milds, ….Session stuff. (Jennifer Talley has a great book on the subject)

This means that I use less grain in the mash. If I were to mash a full strength APA for example, for my system mashing with the full liquor volume would result in ~2.75 qt/lb. I have been brewing full volume mash no sparge about a year now with no problem. Some of the most enjoyable relaxing brewdays and best beers I’ve ever brewed. However, since I am using far less grain lately, the full volume would result in ~4 qt/lb. I am not sure if that is a problem or not.

I don’t *think* I have experienced any detrimental effects yet but I am only a few batches in to this type of Session brewing. A Mild turned out really well. A Bitter I brewed kinda not so great. I believe in part that was due to recipe but could also be due partly to technique. I have a Scottish 70/- that is conditioning that seems to be pretty good (so far). I am fermenting a revamped Bitter recipe now.

Anyway, I am considering withholding some strike liquor and add it after the main 60 min mash is complete, vorlauf ~30 min with the now full volume while increasing to mash out temp, then lauter.  IDK.

I've been no-sparge brewing for 10+ years, and the only thing I've noticed is that as I approached 3.5-4 qt/lb for session beers is that they would often need an extra 15-20 minutes to convert fully. I suspect this is due to more dilute enzyme concentration in the mash. I was using a lot of Crisp Floor-Malted MO at the time, so you may have less issues with a different base malt with a higher diastatic power.

I brewed a few batches where I limited my mash thickness to 3 qt/lb and added the rest of the brewing liquor after the mash. I didn't notice a flavor or mouthfeel difference, so I stopped doing it and just make sure I'm mashing for long enough on those brews.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2023, 08:07:51 am »
Thank you. First hand experience with exactly what I am doing.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2023, 01:56:51 pm »
I use option A with my Anvil Foundry 10.5 unless my grain bill is a bit too large to comfortably fit it all. Then I will use less water for the mash and sparge with a gallon or two after. I really don't pay much attention to ratio's in that case... just whatever it takes for the mash so it fits the vessel.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2023, 07:03:22 am »
Forgot to mention, I know a guy who loves English Milds and he intentionally mashes around 158F.  I have just mashed a Licht Pilsner at 157 to see how the body turns out.  Brewers Friend has it turning out around 3.6% based on my simple grain bill - 7 lbs Best Pils, .5 lb Weyermann Light Munich, and .25 lb Weyermann Acidulated malt.  I have been messing with a lot of variables and am hoping this one hits the sweet spot.  If not, I will try some flaked barley substitution for some base malt.

Cheers to the small guys!