Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Color change during bottle conditioning  (Read 1441 times)

Offline John McClellan

• 1st Kit
Color change during bottle conditioning
« on: January 29, 2023, 10:49:28 am »
I brewed a clone of Civil Society Fresh.  Very clear after fermentation.  Typically hazy after heavy dry hops.  Two weeks of bottle conditioning and beer was noticably "purple" with a bitter finish.  Any thoughts?  Contaminated?

Before Bottling - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZZhIqtIVa_1ErN7WbE06ayqXA2-v1VpI/view?usp=share_link

After Bottling - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B15Xv5staYCRsA3eG7eiIA5wbjPmrqzm/view?usp=share_link

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Color change during bottle conditioning
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 11:28:53 am »
My first thought is oxidation. Doe it taste stale or like wet cardboard?
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 11:32:50 am »
My first thought is oxidation. Doe it taste stale or like wet cardboard?

I agree it sounds oxidized but oxidation doesn't always taste like wet cardboard.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline John McClellan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 11:41:45 am »
Thanks Guys

Not wet cardboard.  Somewhat of a sour / bitter flavor. Aroma is a little "stale". Beer tasted great with great aroma before bottling.

Silly question - what would cause oxidation during a typical bottling process?  I have never had this issue in 8+ years.

J

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 11:49:59 am »
I'm not so sure about oxidation, because it was bottle conditioned, right?  I think it's yeast still in suspension.  I'd wait a couple more weeks and try it again.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 12:02:35 pm »
I'm not so sure about oxidation, because it was bottle conditioned, right?  I think it's yeast still in suspension.  I'd wait a couple more weeks and try it again.

The purple color is suspicious to me. I had a keg of pils that was badly oxidized do that. But no way to tell for sure without seeing and tasting it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 12:12:21 pm »
Bottle conditioned beer is less prone to oxidation than any other beer because when done well, it starts with zero oxygen.
This said, if kept warm for a long time or cold for a much longer time, oxygen ingress through the cap will eventually oxidize the beer.
Of course, if not bottle-conditioned properly, it can happen, but that's another topic.

I vote for contamination.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 12:14:03 pm by lupulus »
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 12:25:55 pm »
To me, the purple color and stale aroma sound like oxidation. But the sour/bitter flavor doesn't. I'd call it an even split between the possibility of being oxidized vs being contaminated. (That way, I can't be wrong.)

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 02:15:59 pm »
Did you guys look at the pictures?  Did you see purple color?  I didn’t.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 04:38:15 pm »
I see brown, which is a very similar color I had with an oxidized NEIPA. I my case, it did have a wet cardboard aftertaste
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline John McClellan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2023, 05:19:45 pm »
one of you asked for the receipe.

https://beerandbrewing.com/civil-society-fresh-ipa-recipe/

i will agree that the color is "puplish brown".  Nothing special about brew day, dry hopping, transferring to secondary or bottling day.  Some of the bottling sugar was from an open / older pack and some was newly opened. Carb level in bottles was great after two weeks.  FG was on target.  Beer looked and tasted great before botling (although it was uncarbonated).  Everything was sanitized as usual and yes I have sucessfully bottled many NEIPA's.

I did use a different local supply house who may have had some older products (grains and yeast).

If it did oxidize, any ideas on where / how that could have happened?   

Thanks to everyone for the help

J

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2023, 05:39:50 pm »
Did you purge the bottles with CO2 prior to filling?

Offline Skeeter686

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 07:50:28 pm »
Did you purge the bottles with CO2 prior to filling?
Ambient air will still mix in even if you purge with CO2, just because they're gasses and they're constantly moving.  I've been experimenting with capping on foam by injecting CO2 into the beer.  The bubbles are filled with CO2, and the bubbles hold the CO2 in place while you cap.

I'm sure there are opportunities to do something more elegant, but I just picked up a Harbor Freight air gun which has a rubber tip.  https://www.harborfreight.com/blow-gun-with-safety-tip-and-rubber-tip-63577.html

I found a coffee stirrer (basically just a thin, stiff straw) that I can fit into the nozzle.  Hook the gun up to CO2, fill the bottle with beer, stick the sanitized stirrer into beer and produce bubbles, then cap.

This makes large bubbles which disappear fairly quickly and would probably work tons better with an air stone.  But as a proof of concept, this has been effective on the two beers I've tried it with so far.

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2023, 06:36:05 am »
Can Brewtan B be introduced just prior to dry hopping to chelate metals?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 08:22:00 am »
https://beerandbrewing.com/civil-society-fresh-ipa-recipe/
Columbus hops may be a factor. 

Assuming this is the first time for this recipe and the first time brewing an NEIPA with Columbus hops, the book The New IPA, chapter 14 (Stability in Hazy IPAs offers ideas that I haven't seen in forum discussion on "purple" NEIPAs. 

Some key ideas related to ingredients in the recipe:

- Larger amounts of certain metals (copper, iron, manganese) promote more rapid staling. 

- Some malts and hops (e.g. Columbus) can contain high levels of manganese.

- Minerals can drop out during the boil and during fermentation, and be re-introduced during (long) drop hopping. 

The chapter (and other sections of the book) contain additional information that would help confirm (or diminish) this idea.

All Columbus hops? That seems to be an generalization

www.dennybrew.com