Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Questions, questions....  (Read 1818 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Questions, questions....
« on: January 20, 2023, 12:51:56 pm »
We still need more questions for our upcoming Q&A episode of Experimental Brewing.  As an added incentive, John Palmer will be joining us, so you'll have 3 knuckleheads answering questions instead of the usual 2! Send your questions to podcast@experimentalbrew.com
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 12:53:35 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: Questions, questions....
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 01:41:15 pm »
What's the difference between a Hamster and a Gerbil?  Wrong forum?  LOL.  Just teasing, I thought I would inject a little humour (unless of course it was not funny, then nevermind)  LOL

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 02:09:17 pm »
What's the difference between a Hamster and a Gerbil?  Wrong forum?  LOL.  Just teasing, I thought I would inject a little humour (unless of course it was not funny, then nevermind)  LOL

No, no....we take questions like that!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 02:09:51 pm »

A gerbil has a tail; a hamster does not.

Here's my next coupla two/tree questions:

1) Is pressure fermentation really all that great?

2) When's the last time you fermented a pastorianus strain in the mid 60s (and NOT under pressure)?

3) Several parter (and jeez I guess most of these are several-parters): Why is "Cold IPA" fermented warm?  Is this really all that different from regular IPA? from IPL?  Do we really need yet another iteration of very hoppy beer?  How many months until this fad dies?

4) What are some new dry yeast strains you've tried?  How were the results?

5) Are enzymes super useful, or overdone?  What are some other newly developed additives, and how/when are they useful?

6) What excites you about the hobby right now?  What doesn't?  Why?

Those are just the few off the top of me head.  Now someone else can have a turn.   ;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 02:24:58 pm »
here's one re: new concentrated hop products like cryo hops and lupomax

Is there a flavor advantage/difference to using these products over traditional pellets, or does the advantage lie mostly with reducing wort loss? If there is a flavor differnce, can you describe it? and what kind of contact times are the pros using for these new hop products?

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 02:26:41 pm »
Why would I ever need to "bitter" a beer with something other than Magnum?

Name one thing in this hobby where "close enough" isn't good enough?

Do you have any recipes that you make "exactly" the same, every single time you make it?

What is the one ingredient (yeast, hops, malt) that you can't be without?

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 02:38:23 pm »

Questions, questions. Many you ask.
About the future and some of the past.
Few have seen what I see. Fewer still will ever know.
I gave an eye to see better.
And still your thirst for knowledge grows.

Why would I ever need to "bitter" a beer with something other than Magnum?

Do you have any recipes that you make "exactly" the same, every single time you make it?

What is the one ingredient (yeast, hops, malt) that you can't be without?

love these. magnum lol, what a hop legend for default IBUs.

3) Several parter (and jeez I guess most of these are several-parters): Why is "Cold IPA" fermented warm?  Is this really all that different from regular IPA? from IPL?  Do we really need yet another iteration of very hoppy beer?  How many months until this fad dies?

cold ipa is definitely just IPL.

my question is - how do you guys (denny and drew) adjust pH up, like for a imp stout?

Offline BrewBama

Questions, questions....
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 06:52:30 am »
… 3 knuckleheads …

When the last pour of a keg is short.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 06:55:19 am by BrewBama »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 08:09:01 am »
Any reason not to shorten homebrewing boil time to 30 minutes?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 09:54:18 am »

my question is - how do you guys (denny and drew) adjust pH up, like for a imp stout?

If your source water is low in sodium, then baking soda is ideal for this. If your final sodium concentration would end up much higher than 50 ppm using baking soda, then you're probably going to want to use something like pickling lime.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 10:08:30 am »

If your source water is low in sodium, then baking soda is ideal for this. If your final sodium concentration would end up much higher than 50 ppm using baking soda, then you're probably going to want to use something like pickling lime.

Bingo.  These are the correct answers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 10:22:19 am »
I see John Palmer is participating in the Q&A. I don't measure the ppg contribution from steeping specialty grains in an extract brew - I use Table 9 in howtobrew.com. But intuitively, the numbers for chocolate malt, roast barley, and black patent malt seem high (15, 21, and 21 respectively). A lot of time has passed since howtobrew.com - I'm wondering if these are still considered to be the best available ppg numbers for extract brewing with specialty grains? (And to answer the obvious question, I will be getting the 4th Edition soon - should have done that a long time ago.)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2023, 10:25:31 am »

Here's my next coupla two/tree questions:

Those are just the few off the top of me head.  Now someone else can have a turn.   ;D
This! I’ve been brewing IPL for ages. This cold IPA thing is annoying…
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2023, 11:39:04 am »
I see John Palmer is participating in the Q&A. I don't measure the ppg contribution from steeping specialty grains in an extract brew - I use Table 9 in howtobrew.com. But intuitively, the numbers for chocolate malt, roast barley, and black patent malt seem high (15, 21, and 21 respectively). A lot of time has passed since howtobrew.com - I'm wondering if these are still considered to be the best available ppg numbers for extract brewing with specialty grains? (And to answer the obvious question, I will be getting the 4th Edition soon - should have done that a long time ago.)

I wouldn't necessarily trust anything on the website any more. That's why there's a 4th edition of the book.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2023, 11:41:13 am »

Nope... the correct answer is there is more dark meat on a Gerbil.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato