Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Citra hop recipe I found  (Read 4635 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: All Citra hop recipe I found
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2023, 08:38:02 am »
OK, so based on feedback, what do you all think of this:

12lb 2 row
2lb Munich
4oz Crystal 20
4oz Crystal 60
4oz Honey malt

Hops

.5 ounces of Chinook or .5 ounces of Apollo at 60
1 oz of Citra at 15, 10, 5, 0
.5oz Amarillo at 5
2oz of Citra at dry hop after fermentation for 4 or 5 days

Yeast Bry97 (recipe call for Lutra, but as I have read my ferm temps don't get high enough to justify the extra money, and I have Bry97 on hand)

I'd recommend either the honey malt or C20, but not both. Honey malt is basically crystal in about the same color range. Is the AA of the Chinook and Apollo the same?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2023, 08:53:29 am »
A while back I read an article that was titled "Brewing on the 2s" or something like that.  What I remember was the author suggesting that you use no more than 2 malts and 2 hops.  It really got me thinking about ingredients. I used to throw all sorts of stuff in my beers and they always seemed a little lackluster, I think the article referred to it as muddled or "brown".  Since then I've simplified my recipes and only added something when I desired a targeted change.  I believe my beers now taste better, at least I am enjoying them more since I've simplified.  So when I see a recipe that has all sorts of stuff, carapils, melanoidin, multiple crystals, and a variety of base malts, I always think what can be eliminated and what really needs to be there to attain the goal.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2023, 09:30:27 am »
OK, so based on feedback, what do you all think of this:

12lb 2 row
2lb Munich
4oz Crystal 20
4oz Crystal 60
4oz Honey malt

Hops

.5 ounces of Chinook or .5 ounces of Apollo at 60
1 oz of Citra at 15, 10, 5, 0
.5oz Amarillo at 5
2oz of Citra at dry hop after fermentation for 4 or 5 days

Yeast Bry97 (recipe call for Lutra, but as I have read my ferm temps don't get high enough to justify the extra money, and I have Bry97 on hand)

I'd recommend either the honey malt or C20, but not both. Honey malt is basically crystal in about the same color range. Is the AA of the Chinook and Apollo the same?

Good catch Denny.  I meant to type that both would be added for bittering.  It brought me up to about 55 or so IBU's  Also, the part about the dry hop should be 4 or 5 days after fermentation has finished.     My bad, I forgot to update. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2023, 09:32:04 am »
A while back I read an article that was titled "Brewing on the 2s" or something like that.  What I remember was the author suggesting that you use no more than 2 malts and 2 hops.  It really got me thinking about ingredients. I used to throw all sorts of stuff in my beers and they always seemed a little lackluster, I think the article referred to it as muddled or "brown".  Since then I've simplified my recipes and only added something when I desired a targeted change.  I believe my beers now taste better, at least I am enjoying them more since I've simplified.  So when I see a recipe that has all sorts of stuff, carapils, melanoidin, multiple crystals, and a variety of base malts, I always think what can be eliminated and what really needs to be there to attain the goal.

Thanks.  I am gathering a lot of folks think that way.  I am going to check what I have again and see how much of each I have.  It will be a gametime decision.  LOL.  Thanks for the input though, appreciate it.  RR

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2023, 09:33:00 am »

I reject artificial "rules" like that. Use as much of anything you like to, but have a reason for every ingredient.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2023, 10:14:45 am »

ive been trying to do some retrospective stuff on the past few years of brewing and trying to remember hard and check my notes on them to see what worked really well, what was okay and what didnt and consolidate that info for myself.

i should check to see which recipes were kitchen sink or not too.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2023, 10:28:26 am »
My rule of thumb has been if I liked it, I transferred my notes from a pad of paper used during the day to a journal style book that my wife gave me that has all the cool stuff to add.  LOL.  So far I have 3 or 4 that I really liked in it.  Most are APA or IPA.  I am trying to look for other things to add.  My total end game is to have a multiple tap setup with a few different styles on hand, but for now, one at a time. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2023, 10:29:36 am »

I reject artificial "rules" like that. Use as much of anything you like to, but have a reason for every ingredient.

Thanks Denny, I am still trying to figure out what brings what to the beer to go with what you said.  For now, just picking everyone's brains to see what works. 

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2023, 10:55:47 am »
My rule of thumb has been if I liked it, I transferred my notes from a pad of paper used during the day to a journal style book that my wife gave me that has all the cool stuff to add.  LOL.  So far I have 3 or 4 that I really liked in it.  Most are APA or IPA.  I am trying to look for other things to add.  My total end game is to have a multiple tap setup with a few different styles on hand, but for now, one at a time.

i hear you, i have kept .txt files of every brew ive done. ive kept a longrunning brewtarget (software) database on them, but it has catastrophically crashed twice so far or i accidentally deleted the archive and backup. but i can restore them from the txt files.

the thing about "liking" a beer from my perspective is that there were some beers i didnt enjoy or think were amazing in their first two months after packaging, but they grew much better over time. and other beers started well or even hit a sweet spot and then fell apart as time went on.

so, i just keep notes on tastings every now and then. it will probably end up information overload, but better than not enough.

Online ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2023, 11:16:56 am »
I like your newest recipe.  I see you upped the Munich a fair amount (6.8% to 13.6%). 

If you end up not liking it, don't dump it - please send it to me.   ;D

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2023, 01:29:58 pm »
I like your newest recipe.  I see you upped the Munich a fair amount (6.8% to 13.6%). 

If you end up not liking it, don't dump it - please send it to me.   ;D

We will meet half way and you can bring some of your brew for me to taste   LOL. 

Thanks for the encouragement and to all who had a hand in this.  I really do look to you all for help and appreciate the input.  RR

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2023, 12:26:06 pm »
So, here is my final recipe.  Per Brewfather ABV is around 6.4% and IBU is at about 56.  I think I am in the ballpark here. 

12 pounds 2 Row
2 pounds Munich malt
4oz 60L
4oz 20L
4oz Honey Malt (game time decision on this one, the package isn't opened yet.  LOL)

Hops:
.5oz Chinook at 60
.5oz Apollo at 60
.5oz Amarillo at 10
1oz Citra at 5
1oz Citra at 1
2oz Citra Dry hop
.5oz Amarillo Dry hop

Bry97 yeast 

While I type this, I still cannot help but wonder if I am overloading the Citra, but I bought it so might as well give it a try.  Unless somebody has a really strong argument against.  LOL.  RR

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2023, 01:09:00 pm »
So, here is my final recipe.  Per Brewfather ABV is around 6.4% and IBU is at about 56.  I think I am in the ballpark here. 

12 pounds 2 Row
2 pounds Munich malt
4oz 60L
4oz 20L
4oz Honey Malt (game time decision on this one, the package isn't opened yet.  LOL)

Hops:
.5oz Chinook at 60
.5oz Apollo at 60
.5oz Amarillo at 10
1oz Citra at 5
1oz Citra at 1
2oz Citra Dry hop
.5oz Amarillo Dry hop

Bry97 yeast 

While I type this, I still cannot help but wonder if I am overloading the Citra, but I bought it so might as well give it a try.  Unless somebody has a really strong argument against.  LOL.  RR

Looks good,although I think I'd use either C20 or honey malt, but not both. Doesn't look like a Citra overload to me.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2023, 01:20:54 pm »

12 pounds 2 Row
2 pounds Munich malt
4oz 60L
4oz 20L

Hops:
.5oz Chinook at 60
.5oz Apollo at 60
.5oz Amarillo at 10
1oz Citra at 5
1oz Citra at 1
2oz Citra Dry hop
.5oz Amarillo Dry hop

Bry97 yeast 

Looks good,although I think I'd use either C20 or honey malt, but not both. Doesn't look like a Citra overload to me.

Thanks Denny, then the brew begins.  LOL

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2023, 06:03:01 pm »
I don't think I have ever tasted a beer and thought "that's too much Citra".
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's