Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hate. Perlick. Taps.  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Hate. Perlick. Taps.
« on: December 02, 2022, 05:40:36 pm »
I have a collection of Perlick taps, going back at least 3 generations. They all leak. Drip, drip, drip,...or even a continuous stream. They are all hyper clean, so that is not the issue.

They have all been replaced by my older taps from Tap-Rite. Never (NEVER) had any leaking issues with Tap-Rite. Other than each tap must be exercised daily to prevent sticking.

6 taps in our personal home bar, with dual taps in the outdoor kitchen.

Am I the Lone Ranger with this problem? Any thoughts?

We do like Perlick taps as they do not stick. But the leaking issue is insane.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Hate. Perlick. Taps.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 05:46:19 pm »
If they aren't put back together properly they are problematic for sure

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 06:03:11 pm »
I have Perlick taps. I love them.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 07:07:25 pm »
If Perlicks are kept clean, assembled properly and the main sealing O rings replaced when they lose their resiliency, they don't leak. The O rings last a long time if you use a bit of keg lube on them when reassembling after cleaning. I started kegging with a couple of 525 SS faucets and they're still going strong after about 12 years. I've only replaced the seals once.

Like anything else mechanical, they need to be maintained.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 08:33:31 pm »
I have two Perlicks and I love them

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 08:50:01 pm »
They are disassembled for a thorough cleaning, and then correctly reassembled.
The O-Ring is at the very back of the faucet, where it screws onto the tower. Those do not leak, never have.
The issue is they simply won't stop flowing. And/or dripping, from the faucet. The forward seal feature is not working at all.
A very small O-Ring is internally located, at the forward part of the faucet.
As of now, my dozen or so Perlick faucets (3 generations) are put away in a box, with my Tap-Rite faucets on the front line.
Those of you who warmly gush over your Perlicks, good for you!
What is the best source for replacement parts / front seat O-Rings?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 09:21:20 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 10:31:21 pm »
The O ring I mention is the small diameter fat one that the ball seats against. I found them at Great Fermentations after searching several other sites.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 07:29:03 am »
A friend of mine who works for a chain of restaurants gave me a rebuild kit to replace all seals a few years back that fixed my only tap that leaked.  No problems sinceā€¦.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 08:28:33 am »
I don't know why, but when I put my draft system together and had a choice of faucets, I chose Ventmatic which I believe is no longer made or was gobbled up by another company, etc.  I have four Ventmatic faucets with 8mm spouts that my friend (a metalist) made in his shop.  The very end of the spout is slightly flared out so that when you turn off the faucet there is more beer at the tip of the spout and the weight of that beer causes the spout to empty so that there isn't a dribble of beer 10 seconds later.  The faucets are fantastic and the spouts create the perfect pour.  Two of the faucets are called "Ultraflo" models which I believe are older.  I think I had some Perlicks at one point and just did not care for them but it's been so long I don't remember why but I *DO* know the Perlick threads (for the spout) are different than the Ventmatics because my bud made a bunch of spouts and had to make two versions.  I take them for granted but should probably tell my Ventmatics how much I love them.  :D  I do take them apart and clean them but more often than not they just get hot Oxi solution run through them and then Starsan or Iodophor which I allow to sit in the lines and faucets for 20-30 minutes before I flush them out.  I have never replaced a part on these faucets. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 08:33:04 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 08:34:23 am »
I have 6 Perlick faucets here and have never had a leaking problem. The secret is to keep them clean.  I CIP mine with caustic about once a month or so and that has worked well for me.  Although I have never disassembled one, I plan to do that sometime in the near future to inspect everything inside.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 09:09:57 am »
I have 6 Perlick faucets here and have never had a leaking problem. The secret is to keep them clean.  I CIP mine with caustic about once a month or so and that has worked well for me.  Although I have never disassembled one, I plan to do that sometime in the near future to inspect everything inside.
If you take them apart and inspect them, my guess is that you'll be surprised at how clean they are.  I always expect to see something unsavory but never do.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 09:39:53 am »
If you take them apart and inspect them, my guess is that you'll be surprised at how clean they are.  I always expect to see something unsavory but never do.

Mine get cleaned every 30 to 45 days. And there might be some crud in there, that is harmless, but looks most unappealing! Normally a simple cleaning will solve any leaking issue, but not now.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 09:45:54 am »
I don't know why, but when I put my draft system together and had a choice of faucets, I chose Ventmatic which I believe is no longer made or was gobbled up by another company, etc.  I have four Ventmatic faucets with 8mm spouts that my friend (a metalist) made in his shop.  The very end of the spout is slightly flared out so that when you turn off the faucet there is more beer at the tip of the spout and the weight of that beer causes the spout to empty so that there isn't a dribble of beer 10 seconds later.  The faucets are fantastic and the spouts create the perfect pour.  Two of the faucets are called "Ultraflo" models which I believe are older.  I think I had some Perlicks at one point and just did not care for them but it's been so long I don't remember why but I *DO* know the Perlick threads (for the spout) are different than the Ventmatics because my bud made a bunch of spouts and had to make two versions.  I take them for granted but should probably tell my Ventmatics how much I love them.  :D  I do take them apart and clean them but more often than not they just get hot Oxi solution run through them and then Starsan or Iodophor which I allow to sit in the lines and faucets for 20-30 minutes before I flush them out.  I have never replaced a part on these faucets.

My 400 series Perlicks are a direct copy of the early Ventmatic faucets. A major lawsuit was involved, as Ventmatic claimed a copyright issue on their design.

Note these are the taps that the spout is removable, for easy cleaning. And you have easy access to the inner parts, including the forward seal O-Ring, that comes out with the plunger.

As of today, never replaced any parts on my Perlicks. They vary in age from 8 to 4 (+/-) years old. 525SS, 630SS, and the early (Ventmatic) 400 stainless series.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:01:50 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2022, 10:20:31 am »
sorry, i don't have anything to add, and unrelated but some of you are saying you have 4 taps or even 6 taps?

does the beer stay fresh throughout the whole keg or do you just empty it when(if?) it gets stale?

do you do this for a lot of people who come over to share your beer with?

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 10:32:50 am »
sorry, i don't have anything to add, and unrelated but some of you are saying you have 4 taps or even 6 taps?

does the beer stay fresh throughout the whole keg or do you just empty it when(if?) it gets stale?

do you do this for a lot of people who come over to share your beer with?

Concerning your question about freshness, and number of taps, we have never had a beer that we brewed go bad. We do give away a lot of beer, most often in keg form. Some times we will give the neighbors a growler or two, as they are big fans of craft beer.

The only beers that have gone bad in the keg came from:

Anhueser-Busch
Boston Beer Company
Hofbrau Brewery