Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Today’s brew  (Read 20081 times)

Fire Rooster

Re: Today’s brew
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2023, 09:01:33 am »
"I haven't followed any recipes for a long time.
If I make a certain style, it's by accident."

I love that approach!  It reminds me of what someone here once said (Denny?) about entering competitions - enter good beers that you brewed based on how they turned out, not how you intended them to be....

Words of wisdom for sure.
Besides, many recipes found are not worth the paper they're written on.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 08:47:31 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Today’s brew
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2023, 08:14:19 am »
To be clear: I didn’t choose these recipes haphazardly. I think I subbed Munich for Vienna but other than that the Ordinary Bitter recipe is verbatim.

The recipe came from a UK brewery — Wishbone — found in CAMRA’s Essential Home Brewing. The guy that started the brewery is an award winning home brewer and now he sells beer in the UK.

I figured if a UK homebrewer has brewed this UK style beer and he now brews it in a 10 barrel brewery that can make the cut to end up in CAMRA’s publication it’s good enough to try.

I’ll probably also brew Annie Johnson’s Mow the Damn Lawn which propelled her to AHA Homebrewer of the year. I’ll brew it as written as well.

If this sounds like an appeal to authority it is. I haven’t brewed these low ABV styles before so I sought out credible sources.  I found several.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 08:51:09 am by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2023, 11:26:44 am »
Rebrewing the Dark Mild today. I wasn’t happy with the previous effort so I am rebrewing it after a deep brewery clean and slightly revamped recipe.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2023, 07:32:38 pm »
Rebrewing the Dark Mild today. I wasn’t happy with the previous effort so I am rebrewing it after a deep brewery clean and slightly revamped recipe.

Cool.  I will be interested how that turns out for you, I hope you update us when it's drinking time.  I have some Briess Ashburne Mild malt, but haven't yet dared use it yet at more than about 20%.  Wondered how sweet it would be, especially with Windsor or S-04 etc., so I've been hesitant to commit to it like you have.  If you like it at that level, I may try it.

I couldn't find the mash temperature in there, did I miss it?

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2023, 05:05:03 am »
Mash temp 152°F. Mash out 168°F

I think I offset the sweetness with roast malt and hops pretty well. We’ll see. 

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 05:44:49 pm by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2023, 11:57:22 am »
Still working on my low(er) carb beers, today I brewed another Ordinary Bitter using up the last of the rye.  I’m hoping for a kind of tasty, easy drinking Pub Ale.

In this iteration I lowered my mash temp slightly to 150°F as well as a slight reduction in C malts in an effort to get a touch lower FG if I can. I don’t want to lower it too much because I still need some body which I am counting on S-04 to give me.

All late addition hops. Challenger hops for bitterness and Cryo Cascade for flavor.

We’ll see how this works.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:42:09 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2023, 10:05:15 am »
Doing an all Barke Munich (with .5 oz of roasted barley for a darker color), 30 IBU lager with diamond lager yeast, 30 IBU's Willamette at 60 minutes, soft water, mash for attenuation, OG 1.050

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2023, 01:08:34 pm »
Doing an all Barke Munich (with .5 oz of roasted barley for a darker color), 30 IBU lager with diamond lager yeast, 30 IBU's Willamette at 60 minutes, soft water, mash for attenuation, OG 1.050

Mmmmmmm.  Sounds perfect.  Now I need to go get a beer out of my fridge.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2023, 01:22:27 pm »

Mmmmmmm.  Sounds perfect.  Now I need to go get a beer out of my fridge.

Cheers!

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2023, 12:06:20 pm »
Today, I am making invert sugar for an upcoming Scottish Ale.

1.1 lb cane sugar
1 C RO water
1/8 tsp Ascorbic Acid
2TBS Karo

Once boiling I placed the pot in a 240°F oven for ~3.5 hr until I got the color I wanted.

Ref: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/beer-food/invert-syrups-making-simple-sugars-complex-beers/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 05:09:04 pm by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2023, 05:22:12 am »
Mashing a 70/- (my take on Belhaven’s 60/-) as I type

« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 06:04:19 am by BrewBama »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2023, 09:36:45 am »
Today, I am making invert sugar for an upcoming Scottish Ale.

1.1 lb cane sugar
1 C RO water
1/8 tsp Ascorbic Acid
2TBS Karo

Once boiling I placed the pot in a 240°F oven for ~3.5 hr until I got the color I wanted.

Ref: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/beer-food/invert-syrups-making-simple-sugars-complex-beers/
The cast iron enamel pan is the perfect tool for the job.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2023, 10:41:55 am »
I like the idea of making this instead of boiling down wort. It means you can make it ahead of time instead of adding another task to brew day.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2023, 10:54:09 am »
I like the idea of making this instead of boiling down wort. It means you can make it ahead of time instead of adding another task to brew day.

Does invert and boiled-down wort accomplish the same goal, that is…are the flavors that each adds the same?  Will gravities end the same?

And again, as far as boiling down wort, it’s a very simple process that can be easily done alongside the boil. Maybe my BIAB setup lends itself to doing the boil down or maybe I’m doing it completely wrong, but for me it sure beats another day and another 2, 3, 4 hours of sugar watching.  I’ll acknowledge that you can probably get enough invert for multiple batches however.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2023, 11:08:38 am »

Does invert and boiled-down wort accomplish the same goal, that is…are the flavors that each adds the same?  Will gravities end the same?

And again, as far as boiling down wort, it’s a very simple process that can be easily done alongside the boil. Maybe my BIAB setup lends itself to doing the boil down or maybe I’m doing it completely wrong, but for me it sure beats another day and another 2, 3, 4 hours of sugar watching.  I’ll acknowledge that you can probably get enough invert for multiple batches however.

No, they produce different results
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell