Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Today’s brew  (Read 21346 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Today’s brew
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2022, 04:41:24 am »
Got an early start today. Things progressed very quickly due to my pre-brewday preparations. All I had to do was heat HERMS water and brewhaus liquor, mill grain, hydrate the Brewtan B, measure a tsp each of CaCl, gypsum, and Ascorbic Acid, and mash in.

I am using a step mash as a good alternative to using a decoction mash. I’ve read, a modern German brewing practice is to use a Hochkurz (high short) mash. I will add my dark grains as the mash is heating to 170°F.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 07:39:43 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

Re: Today’s brew
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2022, 08:14:52 am »
Got an early start today. Things progressed very quickly due to my pre-brewday preparations. All I had to do was heat HERMS water and brewhaus liquor, mill grain, hydrate the Brewtan B, measure a tsp each of CaCl, gypsum, and Ascorbic Acid, and mash in.

I am using a step mash as a good alternative to using a decoction mash. I’ve read, a modern German brewing practice is to use a Hochkurz (high short) mash. I will add my dark grains as the mash is heating to 170°F.

You need to splash some flour on your face so your wife know your still working hard.

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2022, 09:36:21 am »
  Too late. She knows I have designed a “lazy man’s system”.

Today I close xfered the Alt from fermenter to keg. I had more bubbles in the hose than I’ve noticed in the past. I don’t know if I was taking on O2 or if CO2 was coming out of suspension or what.

I did notice the yeast in the fermenter was more ‘bubbly’ that other yeasts. I’m not sure if that’s a feature of K-97 or what.  I haven’t used K-97 much so I am not as familiar with it as I am with other strains. I believe it’s a ‘top crop’ strain so maybe I should have skimmed it during fermentation.

There should be plenty of yeast in suspension to consume O2 if that’s what it was.

At any rate it’s now in cold storage under CO2 service pressure. I understand K-97 takes a while to clear so I’ll give it plenty of time and temp for that to happen.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 10:04:04 am by BrewBama »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2022, 11:29:09 am »
Back in Sept-October we spent 4 weeks in Germany. Something new was time in Saxony. Swarzbier is still to be found there, especially around Liepzig. Had two different ones, and there was vary little to no roast, but i was surprised at the chocolate flavors i was getting.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2022, 04:52:39 pm »
That’s awesome. I miss Germany.

On this day in history, Nov. 9, 1989, the Berlin Wall fell.  I was in Germany.  It was an interesting time.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 05:27:34 pm by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2022, 04:15:06 am »
Prepped my water last night so I could get an early start this AM. Brewing a 2x Bock today. The 170th all-grain beer since AL made Homebrewing legal. This is the most grain I’ve used in this MLT. I’m really interested to see what the efficiency will be. Especially, no sparge. The mash volume is ~1/2” below the recirculating port.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 07:45:38 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2022, 10:44:35 am »
Prepped my water last night so I could get an early start this AM. Brewing a 2x Bock today. The 170th all-grain beer since AL made Homebrewing legal. This is the most grain I’ve used in this MLT. I’m really interested to see what the efficiency will be. Especially, no sparge. The mash volume is ~1/2 in below the recirculating port.

How did it go? That’s a big one.

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2022, 10:52:29 am »
Pretty good. I came in 4 points shy of anticipated OG but I’m OK with that.

My concern is that Altbier. It’s not clear yet and I was anticipating serving it for the Dallas Thanksgiving game. I hit it with some gelatin two days ago and it seemed to clear a little but not enough for me. So, I hit it again this AM. I have the Golden Ale to fall back on but I sure wanted that Alt to clear.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2022, 02:47:16 pm »
Pretty good. I came in 4 points shy of anticipated OG but I’m OK with that.

My concern is that Altbier. It’s not clear yet and I was anticipating serving it for the Dallas Thanksgiving game. I hit it with some gelatin two days ago and it seemed to clear a little but not enough for me. So, I hit it again this AM. I have the Golden Ale to fall back on but I sure wanted that Alt to clear.
Awesome news for that doppelbock. 

For the Alt, buy some Red Solo cups :)

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2022, 11:10:57 am »
This is going to have to do. Cheers to Alt and a Hoppy Thanksgiving!

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2022, 04:26:16 pm »
I kegged the 2x Bock this afternoon. 12 oz of harvested 34/70 took it from 1.070 to 1.014 (based on the TILT) in ~4.5 days. I think it will finish at ~1.010 in the keg. I placed the keg back into the fermentation chamber with a spunding valve attached and bumped up the temp to 60°F to give it a few days in secondary prior to cold crash.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 07:45:13 am by BrewBama »

Offline allhomebrewsupplies

• 1st Kit
    • brew store near me
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2022, 05:33:05 am »
Does anybody recommend any home brew store near me in Gold Coast?

http://allhomebrewsupplies.com.au/products/beer-additives-and-grains
Visit us in store today at Nerang or Oxenford for all your Home Brewing supply needs. brew store near me

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2022, 10:28:37 am »
Well, my Doppelbock has been unofficially downgraded to a Dunkel Bock. I was targeting FG 1.009-1.010 to hit the lower edge of 2x Bock range but I ended up at 1.011-1.012 so it fell off the 2x Bock stats. 82% yeast attenuation ain’t bad. Easy Come. Easy Go.

I moved the keg from the ferment fridge after 7 days secondary under spunding pressure into cold crash under external CO2 pressure last night. I took a sample, let it decarbonate as I slept, and took the FG reading this AM.

Even at ~7.8% ABV it’ll be a nice Christmas beer/Winter Warmer.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 07:44:59 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2022, 08:47:59 pm »
Well, my Doppelbock has been unofficially downgraded to a Dunkel Bock. I was targeting FG 1.009-1.010 to hit the lower edge of 2x Bock range but I ended up at 1.011-1.012 so it fell off the 2x Bock stats. 82% yeast attenuation ain’t bad. Easy Come. Easy Go.

I moved the keg from the ferment fridge after 7 days secondary under spunding pressure into cold crash under external CO2 pressure last night. I took a sample, let it decarbonate as I slept, and took the FG reading this AM.

Even at ~7.8% ABV it’ll be a nice Christmas beer/Winter Warmer.

Next up: Helles Bock

Are you just downgrading it because of the FG? I definitely can’t speak intelligently about the differences between bocks, but I am sure it will give you and your guests a nice Christmas buzz no matter what you call it.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2022, 04:57:12 am »
Yeah, I try to color between the lines. The little dot in BeerSmith went below the 2x Bock line so I changed the style to Bock and it centered itself. It really doesn’t matter, I was shooting for a nice warm beer and based on the taste test I think I nailed it.