Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Today’s brew  (Read 21351 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Today’s brew
« Reply #240 on: May 08, 2024, 04:03:38 pm »
Setting up to brew tripel tomorrow. Seems like I'm doing that more often than IPA these days.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #241 on: May 08, 2024, 05:40:11 pm »
Setting up to brew tripel tomorrow. Seems like I'm doing that more often than IPA these days.
Still keeping it above 1.060

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #242 on: May 09, 2024, 07:28:00 am »
Dandelion mead. 5 gallons of regular strength and 5 gallons of hydromel. A perfect sunny day so I left work early.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I cringe when I hear anyone talking about Dandelion wine or mead, because I think back to my childhood when I nibbled a Dandelion stem and it was so bitter it was all I could taste for the rest of theday. What part of the dandelion do you use? Do you use wild dandelions, or cultivated/culinary ones?
We use only the petals. That's the problem with dandelion wine's reputation, I think most peole would use the entire blossom, including the green base with the white bitter pussy opium like stuff. We pick the blossoms in the field in late morning on a sunny day when they are at max bloom then bring them home and quickly pull the petals off and put them in a pot (that's what you see in the picture). Then we make a tea out of them and strain the tea into the must. The result is zero bitterness and zero vegetable flavors. It's all floral goodness, it tastes and has the aroma of spring.
With the hydromel I plan on picking some more petals in the next few days, dehydrating them, and "dry dandelioning" later in fermentation.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #243 on: May 09, 2024, 07:50:16 am »

We use only the petals. That's the problem with dandelion wine's reputation, I think most peole would use the entire blossom, including the green base with the white bitter pussy opium like stuff. We pick the blossoms in the field in late morning on a sunny day when they are at max bloom then bring them home and quickly pull the petals off and put them in a pot (that's what you see in the picture). Then we make a tea out of them and strain the tea into the must. The result is zero bitterness and zero vegetable flavors. It's all floral goodness, it tastes and has the aroma of spring.
With the hydromel I plan on picking some more petals in the next few days, dehydrating them, and "dry dandelioning" later in fermentation.

Sounds awesome!

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #244 on: May 09, 2024, 11:47:54 am »
We pick the blossoms in the field in late morning on a sunny day when they are at max bloom then bring them home and quickly pull the petals off...

What's your “dandelioning” rate? As in lb/gal or g/l?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #245 on: May 09, 2024, 12:10:22 pm »

Gonna keep brewing it til I get it right

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #246 on: May 09, 2024, 12:30:05 pm »
We pick the blossoms in the field in late morning on a sunny day when they are at max bloom then bring them home and quickly pull the petals off...

What's your “dandelioning” rate? As in lb/gal or g/l?
The amount I put in the tea is written down at home. As far as the dry dandelioning goes I imagine I will pick a pound or two of blossoms, cut off and dehydrate the petals and see how many ounces that gets to.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #247 on: May 09, 2024, 02:08:46 pm »

I'm really happy with my latest tripel using WY3787. I let it ferment at 64°F (ambient temperature in my basement) for 10 days, then partially* put a heating mat on it, which slowly raised the temperature over several days to eventually end at 76°, where I let it sit for 5 days. Three weeks in the primary total.

It has some very nice fruity (pear, apple) esters.

*I taped it to two fermenter buckets, so maybe a third of each bucket was in direct contact with it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #248 on: May 09, 2024, 02:16:12 pm »

I'm really happy with my latest tripel using WY3787. I let it ferment at 64°F (ambient temperature in my basement) for 10 days, then partially* put a heating mat on it, which slowly raised the temperature over several days to eventually end at 76°, where I let it sit for 5 days. Three weeks in the primary total.

It has some very nice fruity (pear, apple) esters.

*I taped it to two fermenter buckets, so maybe a third of each bucket was in direct contact with it.
m
3787 is my go to for tripel. The closer I can get to Westmalle, the better.  I use a similar ferm schedule.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #249 on: May 11, 2024, 06:02:32 pm »
Nettle hydromel.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #250 on: May 12, 2024, 08:16:49 am »
I've got a rye porter going this morning.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #251 on: May 14, 2024, 12:53:21 pm »
I brewed an International Amber Lager today.

Edit:  this beer took 3rd in the Carolina Brewmaster’s US Open.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 10:50:03 am by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #252 on: May 28, 2024, 05:22:31 am »
Brewing a Czech Dark Lager this AM

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #253 on: June 11, 2024, 02:51:06 pm »
Today's brew:  "Liquid Bread v.1"

5.2 L extract batch
30 min boil

550 g Briess Sparkling Amber DME

3.5 g Willamette @ 30 min for about 6 IBUs

75 ml of sourdough culture

I accidentally poured more water in than I meant to; so the OG is reading as 1.038 instead of 1.040.  No real idea what kind of attenuation I'll get from the sourdough culture — guestimating ~1.010 FG for ~3¾% ABV.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 02:59:16 pm by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #254 on: June 11, 2024, 03:07:18 pm »
Today's brew:  "Liquid Bread v.1"

5.2 L extract batch
30 min boil

550 g Briess Sparkling Amber DME

3.5 g Willamette @ 30 min for about 6 IBUs

75 ml of sourdough culture

I accidentally poured more water in than I meant to; so the OG is reading as 1.038 instead of 1.040.  No real idea what kind of attenuation I'll get from the sourdough culture — guestimating ~1.010 FG for ~3¾% ABV.

Is this a Kvass inspired recipe?  I’m very intrigued as to how this comes out. Please keep us posted.