Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Today’s brew  (Read 20045 times)

Online Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: Today’s brew
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2024, 09:52:42 pm »
Tonight I brewed a Berliner Weisse-esque beer, 50% wheat malt and 50% pilsner to hit around 1.034, pitched with Philly Sour. in a day or two, I'm going to add 2.5 lb of pineapple guava (frozen and pasteurized). We have a tree in our yard, and it's ridiculously tasty, and it seems like a nice accent for a sour beer.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #226 on: April 03, 2024, 02:24:57 pm »
Brewed using BIAB bag -  3.5 gallons American Lager with Briess Synergy Select Pilsen Malt germs.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 02:43:06 pm by purduekenn »

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #227 on: April 03, 2024, 07:11:34 pm »
Not a brew in the strictest sense, but I started my first batch of mead since moving house today.

840g raw honey into 6L of local artesian well water.

Lallemand Voss yeast, nutrient, and a small oak spiral (American #3 char) in primary.

With a 1.037 OG, it should finish at about 6% ABV or so.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2024, 07:54:39 pm »
I tried brewing my first mead recently. It’s rough right now.  I bottled it and plan to let it age. Hopefully, it softens a bit with time.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2024, 08:30:44 pm »
I tried brewing my first mead recently. It’s rough right now.  I bottled it and plan to let it age. Hopefully, it softens a bit with time.

I've only done a half dozen or so batches of mead, but it's been my experience that time is (almost) always your friend with mead. My first batch with no nutrients or anything was awful at 3 months, drinkable at 6, and good at 12.
The Other Drew

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #230 on: April 03, 2024, 09:01:12 pm »
Brewing a sorta WCIPA no sparge.  Dunno why I don't do that more often.

10lb. Montana Craft Malt British Pale
7 lb. MCM Bavarian pils
1.6 oz. Columbus 60
1 oz. Cascade Cryo 5
4 oz. Blue Lake fresh frozen MI Chinook - WP @ 170 for 20

The Blue Lake hops are interesting https://bluelakehops.com/the-blue-lake-process/
Their website, the lack of details on their "Process®" in particular, gets my "this is a gimmick" spidey-senses tingling. If I had to frozen, it sounds like these are simply flash-frozen wet hops. That's not to say that it wouldn't work, but it seems like it's a niche product to me at best. That's not to say it won't produce good beer. I'm curious to hear what your results are.

Yes, I understand the hops are flash frozen.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #231 on: April 04, 2024, 08:35:32 pm »
Started another (not technically a) brew today:

A blend of organic grocery-store apple juices fortified with turbinado and coconut sugar to an OG of 1.071. Trying a #3 Char "Barrel in a Bottle" oak spiral in this one, too.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

The Other Drew

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #232 on: April 17, 2024, 07:31:28 am »
Brewing an Am Lager this AM (not sure why BeerSmith adds .x after grain volume).

« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 07:46:01 am by BrewBama »

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #233 on: April 17, 2024, 08:29:56 am »
Interesting mix of both corn and rice in that one.  I have never done it that way before.  Probably really lightens it up body-wise....let us know how it turns out.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #234 on: April 18, 2024, 10:19:02 pm »
Tonight I brewed a Berliner Weisse-esque beer, 50% wheat malt and 50% pilsner to hit around 1.034, pitched with Philly Sour. in a day or two, I'm going to add 2.5 lb of pineapple guava (frozen and pasteurized). We have a tree in our yard, and it's ridiculously tasty, and it seems like a nice accent for a sour beer.

I just kegged the Berliner Weisse. It has a *fascinating* profile -- very tropical, and about the perfect level of sour. Tart, but not going to destroy my tooth enamel. The pineapple guava seem to be a great fit for this one. It's carbonating now...should have a first "real" taste in a few days.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #235 on: April 21, 2024, 01:10:33 pm »
Interesting mix of both corn and rice in that one.  I have never done it that way before.  Probably really lightens it up body-wise....let us know how it turns out.
It’s based on Curt Stock’s Cream Ale: https://sphbc.org/recipe/curt-stock-s-craptastic-cream-ale/ but with lager yeast and cold side processes.  Mean Brew analysis also recommends both corn and rice so we’ll see.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #236 on: May 01, 2024, 06:48:26 am »
Brewing a Saison w/ Farmhouse yeast this AM. Mashed in at 147°F and increased to 150°F.

Edit: This is a good beer

« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 02:58:42 pm by BrewBama »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #237 on: May 07, 2024, 07:06:48 pm »
Dandelion mead. 5 gallons of regular strength and 5 gallons of hydromel. A perfect sunny day so I left work early.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #238 on: May 08, 2024, 08:08:48 am »
Dandelion mead. 5 gallons of regular strength and 5 gallons of hydromel. A perfect sunny day so I left work early.

Very cool!
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #239 on: May 08, 2024, 03:24:42 pm »

I cringe when I hear anyone talking about Dandelion wine or mead, because I think back to my childhood when I nibbled a Dandelion stem and it was so bitter it was all I could taste for the rest of theday. What part of the dandelion do you use? Do you use wild dandelions, or cultivated/culinary ones?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer