Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Today’s brew  (Read 20075 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Today’s brew
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2023, 05:34:03 am »
Brewing this AM. First time using Baja yeast.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 11:17:47 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

Re: Today’s brew
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2023, 06:30:39 am »
Brewing this AM. First time using Baja yeast.

Looks good, but I hope the world doesn’t end.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2023, 05:09:27 pm »
Today I brewed a RauchBier.  Last lager before ale season (no temp controls in my basement).

17% Rauch malt (standard beechwood)
11% Oak-smoked Wheat
45% Munich
20% Pils
  2% CaraMunich II
  3% dehusked Carafa II  "juice" concentrate, previously cold-steeped 36 hours in a french press
  2% Crisp Brown malt "juice" (also cold-steeped with the Carafa Spec II)

mashed 2 hours at 152 (my work conference call went longer than expected)

IBUs: 32-33  (Adeena, Mandarina Bav, +pinch of Crystal)

OG = 1.067;  split batch with Diamond Lager slurry in one FV,
                                            S-189 slurry in the other FV.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2023, 08:09:53 am »
German pils with Novalager today. WCIPA with WY1217 tomorrow.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2023, 02:36:43 pm »
German pils with Novalager today. WCIPA with WY1217 tomorrow.

Good luck with the Novalager,  I am on my second repitch of it with my currently fermenting Can-Am Lager 10 gallon batch (CMC 2 row and Rahr 2 row with a couple pounds of Vienna).  I accidentally left my fermentation chest at 34F from the prior batch cold crashing, so my current batch went through a cold shock (42F) before I caught the oversight and bumped it up into the mid-50's F.  The reaction to the warm up was a return to a vigorous ferment and a quick rise in pressure to 10 psi, so I think that is one anecdotal reference point to the cold tolerance of this strain....We will see how it turns out.  So far I am pleased with the outcomes of my prior Novalager batches.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2023, 06:16:39 pm »
Yesterday I brewed 4 gallon Vienna Lager

6 lbs Vienna
2 lbs Munich 1
6 oz Melanoidin
2 oz Chocolate Wheat

0.35 oz Magnum 16.2% AA 60min
1 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrau 4.1% AA 5min

34/70 @ 55*
Ralph R.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2023, 03:26:45 pm »
Well, I did a taste test on my Stout this AM and detect no Chocolate and no Cheerios. It’s otherwise a great example of a Stout. No chemical flavors that I detected in my few sips. Black as night and roasty.

Thanks for the update.  That is pretty funny.   :)

Next time, might I recommend Count Chocula?
The best yet: it took 3rd place in the Scottish and Irish Beer category at the AL Brewer’s Cup.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2023, 05:03:12 pm »
Well, I did a taste test on my Stout this AM and detect no Chocolate and no Cheerios. It’s otherwise a great example of a Stout. No chemical flavors that I detected in my few sips. Black as night and roasty.

The best yet: it took 3rd place in the Scottish and Irish Beer category at the AL Brewer’s Cup.

Nice!  Congratulations!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2023, 05:52:27 pm »

I love Chocolate Cheerios, so I knew that beer was a winner ;)

Good job! Way to represent.

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2023, 07:14:27 am »
Kicking off Memorial Day weekend by brewing a ‘Tropical Bitter’ this AM.  Not a traditional grain bill. More of a ‘clean out the grain bin’ kind of recipe.

Cheers!

Edit: This beer sucked. The pineapple extract was like adding JP-8 to the beer. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 06:15:26 am by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2023, 12:04:24 pm »
Well, the Int’l Lager with Baja yeast in post 122 was a flop so I cut my losses and dumped it. What a shame. …but life’s too short to drink crappy beer.  Fortunately, these unforced errors don’t happen often.

Oh well. Easy come. Easy go. Onward and upward!

However, the real issue is the hole in my pipeline that this dumper leaves. My MoreBeer and YCH orders don’t deliver until Fri so I took a chance and rolled down to the local health food store to see what I could cobble together for a quick turn grain to glass.  I wasn’t holding my breath due to previous failed shopping trips. Surprisingly, this time she had a few options to choose from. I opted for the Simpson’s Finest Maris Otter and a pack of S-04. I’ll couple those with some Baird’s 25°L Carastan and 6 oz of Cascade hops I have on hand to brew a Golden Ale.

I’m collecting RO water now for a 3 PM start. Cheers!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 06:17:46 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2023, 12:36:16 pm »
Well, the Int’l Lager with Baja yeast in post 122 was a flop so I cut my losses and dumped it. What a shame. …but life’s too short to drink crappy beer.  Fortunately, these unforced errors don’t happen often.

Oh well. Easy come. Easy go. Onward and upward!

However, the real issue is the hole in my pipeline that this dumper leaves. My MoreBeer and YCH orders don’t deliver until Fri so I took a chance and rolled down to the local health food store to see what I could cobble together for a quick turn grain to glass.  I wasn’t holding my breath due to previous failed shopping trips. Surprisingly, this time she had a few options to choose from. I opted for the Simpson’s Finest Maris Otter and a pack of S-04. I’ll couple those with some Baird’s 25°L Carastan and 6 oz of Cascade hops I have on hand to brew a Golden Ale.

I’m collecting RO water now for a 3 PM start. Cheers!

That looks like a great audible.

Any idea why the Baja Lager didn’t work out? The recipe seems solid.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2023, 02:12:27 pm »
I dunno. Could be the loose nut between the mash paddle and mash tun. Could be jacked up yeast. Could be 55°F was too high. I just don’t know.  I’ll give Baja another try down the road.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2023, 02:54:00 pm »
I dunno. Could be the loose nut between the mash paddle and mash tun. Could be jacked up yeast. Could be 55°F was too high. I just don’t know.  I’ll give Baja another try down the road.
My recent trip to Pearly’s was a pleasant surprise. They actually had inventory again. Their prices were even competitive since most online stores seem to have raised prices a lot recently.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2023, 06:18:37 pm »
My recent trip to Pearly’s was a pleasant surprise. They actually had inventory again. Their prices were even competitive since most online stores seem to have raised prices a lot recently.
+1. I paid $21 for 10lb Simpson’s Finest Maris Otter.