Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Today’s brew  (Read 20077 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Today’s brew
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2023, 09:59:38 am »
I ran an Iron Brewer once with cereal as the secret ingredient. I barely survived the day.

I recently attended a homebrew club meeting with Tommy and Ron. The club has an upcoming ‘brew w/ cereal challenge’ that gave me the idea. (I’m not competing in the challenge). 

Come to think of it: There were some fairly strong beers that evening. It could have been ugly had I not been sipping vs drinking.

The beers that came out ranged from not too bad to "OMG, what is this?". Not one had any identifiable benefits from the cereal. Several had weird chemical flavors. No one ever had the inclination to do it again.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Today’s brew
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2023, 07:29:12 am »
Well, I did a taste test on my Stout this AM and detect no Chocolate and no Cheerios. It’s otherwise a great example of a Stout. No chemical flavors that I detected in my few sips. Black as night and roasty.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 07:37:39 am by BrewBama »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2023, 02:49:36 pm »
Well, I did a taste test on my Stout this AM and detect no Chocolate and no Cheerios. It’s otherwise a great example of a Stout. No chemical flavors that I detected in my few sips. Black as night and roasty.

Thanks for the update.  That is pretty funny.   :)

Next time, might I recommend Count Chocula?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2023, 09:30:45 am »
Going a bit more pedestrian for my Easter brew

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2023, 10:19:25 am »
Going a bit more pedestrian for my Easter brew

Also brewing a Blonde today!  They could be sisters.   :)
1.047 OG, 24IBU’s, about 5 SRM

80% 2-row
12% Pale Wheat
8% Munich
Magnum at the top.
Saaz and Sterling late.
BRY-97

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Today%u2019s brew
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2023, 10:36:24 am »

If I had both your blonde ales, you know what I'd do?  I'd drink TWO BEERS AT THE SAME TIME, man!

ETA:  But seriously, those both do sound good.  I just started using Cashmere recently; wishing I had tried this hop a few years ago. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 10:48:25 am by ScallyWag »

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2023, 03:04:16 am »

+1 Interesting how we came to a very similar conclusion to the style. It’s a Blonde that I plan to try different hops in throughout the yr.

Cheers!

I just started using Cashmere recently; wishing I had tried this hop a few years ago.

This will be a first for me. Ted sent me these as a freeby in a recent hop order so I thought I’d try them out in this routine Blonde. Looking forward to it.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 04:44:33 am by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2023, 07:46:55 pm »
I just started using Cashmere recently; wishing I had tried this hop a few years ago.

I know the initial taste test at kegging is not a complete representation of the finished beer, but if the hydro sample is any indication I am going to feel the same way. I am getting great flavor from the late Cashmere hop additions.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 07:48:36 pm by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2023, 04:25:52 am »
Brewing a hybrid of sorts today. American grain and classic APA hop flavor but with English yeast at Best Bitter session strength. This is my 180th all grain batch since AL made HomeBrew legal in 2013.

I’m only going to boil 30 min as another arrow in the quiver to lower starting gravity. We’ll see how that goes.

There was a question about steps and times. I explained that I heat my strike liquor to my saccharification temp (this case 154°F) and mash in which lands me in β rest territory (this time 138°F). Today, I timed how long it took to get from mash in temp (138°F) back to Sac temp (154°F) after mashing in. It took just over 20 min. Most of that time was the last few degrees because the PID didn’t want to overshoot. So, I figure my 90 min mash is ≈ β-amylase territory ~15 minutes or so and combined β-amylase and α-amylase territory ~ 75 minutes or so.

The brewery has evolved quite a bit over a decade and 180 batches. My original MLT is the blue cooler on the bottom shelf. It now stores specialty grain.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 07:55:47 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

Today’s brew
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2023, 10:42:32 am »
Whoops! My cheapo temperature controller went crazy.  It read 74F but stayed on and took the beer down to 28F. According to Tilt it was never above 66F. I guess it is time to buy a better controller.

I unplugged everything this morning before work, but I guess it will be a while before it warms up.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 10:44:15 am by tommymorris »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2023, 10:49:49 am »
Ouch

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2023, 10:55:01 am »
Brewing a hybrid of sorts today. American grain and classic APA hop flavor but with English yeast at Best Bitter session strength. This is my 180th all grain batch since AL made HomeBrew legal in 2013.

I’m only going to boil 30 min as another arrow in the quiver to lower starting gravity. We’ll see how that goes.

There was a question about steps and times. I explained that I heat my strike liquor to my saccharification temp (this case 154°F) and mash in which lands me in β rest territory (this time 138°F). Today, I timed how long it took to get from mash in temp (138°F) back to Sac temp (154°F) after mashing in. It took just over 20 min. Most of that time was the last few degrees because the PID didn’t want to overshoot. So, I figure my 90 min mash is ≈ β-amylase territory ~15 minutes or so and combined β-amylase and α-amylase territory ~ 75 minutes or so.

The brewery has evolved quite a bit over a decade and 180 batches. My original MLT is the blue cooler on the bottom shelf. It now stores specialty grain.

OOh, that's a very ingenious, inexpensive, and relatively easy set up for an exhaust system. Kudos.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2023, 06:19:59 am »
Thx Pete.

Mashing as I type. Goal is a light, Summer lawnmower beer

Edit: this beer took 1st at its table with a 37 at the Brewer’s East End Revival.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 12:16:45 pm by BrewBama »

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2023, 07:16:47 am »
Just one package of yeast?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2023, 07:27:26 am »