Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another new yeast strain from Lallemand  (Read 10817 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Another new yeast strain from Lallemand
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2023, 08:29:06 am »
Guys, I know that I'm very late on this but who thinks that Novalager would work in a Festbier/Oktoberfest Lager?  I have the chance to brew on Sunday and I'm considering this.  I would typically use Omega Bayern, 2124 or 838/2308 for this to give it some German character.  Would Novalager impart any German character?  If not, I might just not make a Festbier this year.  Cheers.

I think it would be a great choice. It seems to put the malt forward a bit.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2023, 08:58:56 am »
Nice.  Thank you Denny.  I believe this was covered but I have two 11g packs of the yeast.  Use them both in a ~1.052 beer?  The recipe is simple .. 65% pilsner, 35% Munich 2, one addition of Hallertau Mittelfruh to about 25-27 IBUs.  Instant Oompah.  :D 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2023, 09:21:57 am »
My new-from-YVH Hallertau Mitt is only 2.7% so I drew the recipe up with Magnum 12.7% instead.  The only "dark" Munich I have is Bonlander which always seems kind of pale to me so I changed the grist to 55/45 Avangard Pils and Bonlander.  I think it will be great.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2023, 09:22:17 am »
Nice.  Thank you Denny.  I believe this was covered but I have two 11g packs of the yeast.  Use them both in a ~1.052 beer?  The recipe is simple .. 65% pilsner, 35% Munich 2, one addition of Hallertau Mittelfruh to about 25-27 IBUs.  Instant Oompah.  :D

obviously theres experience, but i've found this thing accurate so far in terms of making middle of the range flavour profiles

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/brewers-corner/brewing-tools/pitching-rate-calculator/

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2023, 09:41:05 am »
I couldn't get that link to work but I did find the Lallemand calculator.  It says 15.5g of Nova for a 1.052 lager at 50° and at the bottom it says to use 2 packs.  I suppose I could use 1.5 packs and throw the rest away. 

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2023, 12:38:50 pm »
yes, thats what it looks like maybe it was the /canada/ reigonalized address that didnt work

yeah it gives qtys of yeast like that, so i tend to overpitch or increase the size of the batch etc. up to you

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2023, 02:01:36 pm »
I don't think it's realistic to come up with an exact amount of yeast needed. It seems like, given the state of the art, a range would be more realistic.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2023, 02:28:23 pm »
I don't think it's realistic to come up with an exact amount of yeast needed. It seems like, given the state of the art, a range would be more realistic.

True of many things in brewing.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2023, 02:29:43 pm »
I couldn't get that link to work but I did find the Lallemand calculator.  It says 15.5g of Nova for a 1.052 lager at 50° and at the bottom it says to use 2 packs.  I suppose I could use 1.5 packs and throw the rest away. 

Or you could use one 500g packet 😁

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2023, 04:52:55 pm »
Yeah, I saw that.  It made me feel stupid to think that 22g would be overkill on 15.5g.  :D 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2023, 09:09:00 am »
Yeah, I saw that.  It made me feel stupid to think that 22g would be overkill on 15.5g.  :D

I think what they're saying is that you can get the amount you need from either situation,  not that you have to use it all. I used 2 packs of Novalager.  Close enough. We're making beer at home, not curing cancer.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Another new yeast strain from Lallemand
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2023, 04:12:49 pm »
Come to think of it, I used NovaLager in a German Leichtbier that took 2nd place out of 10 entries in Pale/Amber Lagers of the Brewer’s East End Revival contest. I re-read the judge’s comments. No one mentioned Apple.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2023, 09:19:41 am »
Come to think of it, I used NovaLager in a German Leichtbier that took 2nd place out of 10 entries in Pale/Amber Lagers of the Brewer’s East End Revival contest. I re-read the judge’s comments. No one mentioned Apple.
I just looked at the Lallemand site where it shows the character of the yeast.  Mostly "neutral" but also a mention of "red apple", "tropical fruit" and "acid".  A lot of yeast strains and hop varieties that say that you'll get a "whisper of vanilla" or a "hint of wood" .. I never pick those up.  I hope I do not experience the apple.

I brewed this Festbier yesterday and got a beautiful wort that was super clear going into the fermenter.  I added two packs of Nova and gave it some O2 and when I went past the fermenter around 10:30pm (pitched at 2:30pm) there was activity.  There was vigorous activity this morning.  When it's done and I have it kegged, cold and carbed I might try to sneak a sample so I can form an opinion on the yeast before I go crazy and make five batches with it.  I know Denny said that we're "making beer at home, not curing cancer" but I still don't want 25 gallons of red apple beer.   ::)
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2023, 11:14:09 am »
There is the green apple ester in Budweiser, but not detectable acetaldehyde. From Mitch Steele, who knows about beer, and worked at the Budweiser plant in NH.

"There is a common misperception that the green apple ester that some people use to describe Budweiser is acetaldehyde. I’ve heard this from very experienced, knowledgeable brewing educators, and it is absolutely wrong. Budweiser has the lowest measured acetaldehyde levels of any major American lager brewer, the green apple ester is something else, and this exemplifies some of the confusion about this off-flavor. "

From -

https://thefullpint.com/hoptripper/what-is-quality/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2023, 12:58:28 pm »
I transferred this Oktoberfest Lager to a keg and I was able to get a small amount into a cup for a sample.  The good news is that I detected ZERO red apple.  Hooray.  The weird news is that the beer tasted a little "hot" and "harsh".  I assume it's just young beer but I was surprised at what I tasted.  More later after it's cold, carbed and aged a little bit.  The aroma of the yeast is really nice and the room where I did the transfer smells AMAZING.  Hopefully it comes out nicely.  Another "gold beer" is planned for the Novalager this weekend.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago.