Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Omega has released a thiolized lager strain  (Read 2579 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Omega has released a thiolized lager strain
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 09:00:28 am »
Agreed.  I used the Star Party on an American Wheat and it turned out pretty good - I'll be serving it at a wedding in September along side typical German Pils and American Amber lager/O'Fest light.  Omega is really taking off!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 11:52:07 am »
Just ordered some. I have some montueka hops to try with it.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 12:42:32 pm »
Star Party worked great for me. Might have to do a side by side of Star Party and Lunar Crush. Could be a great option for that brand new "Cold IPA" style everybody is excited about.

Interesting that they talk about heavy dry hopping to decrease thiols, they must be absorbed by the hop matter? I got quite a bit of tropical character without mash hopping when I used Star Party, in a way that the next "it" hop never really seemed to deliver. They don't give a recipe like they did for the other thiolized strains. I might use some adjuncts to keep the thiols in check if I'm going for something a bit less IPL like.

Kind of nice to see something new from yeast that isn't just a new kveik strain or Cal ale but from some new supplier.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 05:46:51 pm »
Have any beer consumers pushed back on beer made with genetically modified yeast? If not, I am surprised given the non-GMO and non-rGBH movements.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 07:31:53 pm »
Have any beer consumers pushed back on beer made with genetically modified yeast? If not, I am surprised given the non-GMO and non-rGBH movements.

No. Of course, it's not like it has been advertised but the bartenders are aware. But no one I have told has had any problems with them.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 08:07:56 am »
What is the difference in taste between a utilized lager and an ale?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 08:49:53 am »
I dont understand the point of this. I use lager yeast for a clean fermentation profile. Why would I want huge fruity flavors from my lager yeast?

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 08:52:29 am »
Perhaps it is merely an enhanced S-23 flavor profile?  Some say that S-23 is a fairly fruity lager strain.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 03:30:26 pm »
The American Barley Malting Association goes as far as getting a statement from the USDA that there are no transgenic GMO barleys for sale or in commercial production in the US. Of course that doesn't include mutagenic varieties like Golden Promise, but people only seem to be afraid of CRISPR for some reason.

I dont understand the point of this. I use lager yeast for a clean fermentation profile. Why would I want huge fruity flavors from my lager yeast?

Why would you want this? Maybe you don't want the esters you'd get from an ale yeast, or a little crisper finish. Why would you want another tropical new world hop? Why would you make an american noble style hop when there's Saaz, Hallertau, Magnum, etc. Maybe it's something new and great, or maybe it doesn't work. At the very least, it seems like it doesn't take nearly as long to develop as a new hop/barley variety and is a better way to differentiate yourself from the other dozen yeast companies putting out Cal ale and 34/70.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 07:21:22 pm »
I mean, why do a "cold IPA" or IPL or whatever? My understanding is that it produces a lot of unique tropical flavors. Omega discusses it on this podcast:

https://www.masterbrewerspodcast.com/227

For me, I'm brewing it for a brewpub so it's for the novelty. I'm also curious.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2022, 07:01:26 am »
The other thing is the yeast shouldn't release esters, rather it should unlock thiols. So those are two different types of "fruity" flavors. IOW "not the same" ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2022, 07:56:02 am »

Exactly my thought.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 07:57:28 am »
The other thing is the yeast shouldn't release esters, rather it should unlock thiols. So those are two different types of "fruity" flavors. IOW "not the same" ;)

Still kind of a meaningless distinction.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 09:48:05 am »
Star Party worked great for me. Might have to do a side by side of Star Party and Lunar Crush. Could be a great option for that brand new "Cold IPA" style everybody is excited about.

Interesting that they talk about heavy dry hopping to decrease thiols, they must be absorbed by the hop matter? I got quite a bit of tropical character without mash hopping when I used Star Party, in a way that the next "it" hop never really seemed to deliver. They don't give a recipe like they did for the other thiolized strains. I might use some adjuncts to keep the thiols in check if I'm going for something a bit less IPL like.

Kind of nice to see something new from yeast that isn't just a new kveik strain or Cal ale but from some new supplier.

My initial impression with Star Party is that mash hopping increases the good thiols but I notice more of objectionable sulfur flavor. I have had one commercial lager made with this lager strain and the sulfur was awful, but others didn't notice.